High mileage Passats

Discussion in 'Passat' started by Gareth83, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Would you buy a 2001 plate 173,000 mile Passat TDI 130bhp if it had FSH and recent cambelt, water pump etc?

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Price ?

3. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

It's a Sport Estate with 6 speed box

?

4. VWPowered Forum Member

our 1997 passat has just clocked...

[​IMG]

so hell yeah why not :thumbup:

5. Collie Forum Junkie

holy poo is that kms
    @@@@edit,yes its kms . I put my glasses on@@@@

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

1800 tops if its top spec inside like electric everything, s/r and a/c, if its average spec then 1600, slightly dependent on body condition, if mint mint then more, if dented of scratched less. Can get alot of big decent diesel cars for 2k atm.

7. lard44 Forum Member

Those PD 130 diesel lumps will go and go and go - and I imagine that most of that mileage was motorway so I wouldn't be put off.

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

Is it still on its stock turbo and clutch?

Plus how many owners has it done with that 173k?

I also look at the MOT's and service book for mileage to tell when the car actually did the motorway miles as for all you know it might have started off as a motorway car with the last owner actually doing crappy short trips and getting ragged around.

I'd personally only touch a car with such mileage if I was confident and sure about the cars history as I've seen from family experience a good mk4 Golf PD TDI 150 with high miles (for its year) and FSH have the turbo blow shortly after its purchase with little or no warning.

In addition with most high milers you have to factor in some of those parts may have been replaced whilst others haven't - those that haven't might not have much lifespan left whilst it might go on around the world.

Another note I bought my Volvo with FSH and motorway miles, fully stamped, all the expensive DMF, clutch, cambelt having being done yet the turbo inlet pipe had been bodged with a temporay fix and other parts are starting to give way 20k miles since i've bought it which were perfectly fine when I bought it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  9. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Well 2200 is what wisebuyers advise for good condition and 1450 for average. So 1950 seems fine.

Any cars you'd rate Nick? It's to be a daily driver to replace my BMW and Mk1 GTi (on eBay) preferably an estate, nothing too plain/boring. Been looking at V70 D5's, Mondeo TDCI's etc. but open to suggestions.

Good points, I'll double check on those points now

Sell me your S60 lol

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Saab 9-5, maybe Citroen C5 for deisel estates around 2k, passats are still probably one of the nicer looking and better specd estates of that era not including Audis which still sell for too much. Non estates there's quite a bit more choice with random ones like pug 407s which look pretty decent thou havent ever looked into them, back onto your first thread wanting a smaller car have you seen how much ibiza tdi you can buy for 2k...it can be quite alot!

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

LOL I've spent the money making the S60 run right i'm going to make sure I benefit from it at least :lol: Even now my constant mileage more and more parts are wearing out so despite the car being fine the other parts are catching up and in need or replacement like bushes and clutch.

12. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I asked about number of owners and clutch/turbo.

It is 4 owners, must have had new clutch at some point as it is 'perfect' and hasn't had to top up any oil in 4000 miles so seems ok I guess??

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

biggest worry is clutch, bushes and dampers

clutch is dear due to being longitudinal.

decent bushes are 300, per end, just for the parts.

springs and dampers too, they will be past their best by that point

engine wise, i wouldnt worry about it. the engines last

500k km = 310k miles.

WOW

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

^^^ Matt82 speaks very wise as the DMF and clutch on my Volvo was 1,200 from the last owner at 60k and is now due another replacement plus the winter roads have killed my bushes which is going to cost a fair few .

15. penny71 Forum Member

A 10 year old with 173k for 1950

For me overpriced and wallowy

I'd try to fork out more for an honest 3-5 yr old high mileage ex fleet focus 1.8 tdci estate at auction.
    Would do same job and not "nod" at oncoming traffic.

Okay Passat has more image but an 01 car is knocking on the door of being "just an old car"

Not a cheap car to run as Matt82 says

Offer 1600

16. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

you prob have a point there, where is the best place to pick up ex fleets?

17. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

Depends on the money you've got to play with.

I've been casually watching the big-dervy-estate market for a while, and Passat TDI's are always overpriced. A typical 'fleet' milage B5.5 (01-05) is often advertised at 2500+ and they don't pop up that much, and pretty much always disappear soon after.

Gareth - if you've got slightly deeper pockets then try the Auctions - reason being is the cars there are often newer, having just come off the 5year rotation that many fleets have. Other models/marques to consider would be the Golf estate - not common, but quite cheap for what it is. Audi A4 (smaller than the passat) or A6 (the early ones are huuuuge), or the Mondeo (shock horror- but it's what a lot of other cars are compared against, and often found wanting).. Mercs will be rusting by now, and later saabs are built like vauxhalls :(

18. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I'd recommend an Avensis Td, we've got a 1998 model, bought in 2004 with 102k on the clock. It now has 148k all we've replaced is clutch (last year at 140k 300) rear shocks & a starter motor.

It does mainly 3 mile runs in traffic & has only had 3 oil changes in 7 years so is horribly abused & neglected yet it just keeps going faultlessly.

OK it is the most boring car in the world but there's a very good reason that most minicab drivers use them-you can't break 'em. (touch wood)

19. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

3k tops

Ideally 2k as I can make money with the spare 1k

20. penny71 Forum Member