High mileage Passats

Discussion in 'Passat' started by Gareth83, Feb 11, 2011.

1. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

God you still looking.

If you looking at that **** rat then turbo and head gasket would be on my mine and that is the sort of mileage that the clutch had to be changed on mine.

Cheers

2. flat4fanatic New Member

As has been said above it really depends on condition & service history.
    Done 85k in ours over the past 4 years (tdi sport now 155k) & it's never let us down yet. If you can diy theyre pretty cheap to run. In that time apart from normal servicing we've needed 2x cv joints, front upper wishbones x4, front pads & discs, rear pads, rear shocks plus cambelt & tensioners which I think is pretty good for the mileage and I don't like to skimp on replacing stuff. I was suprised at how easy they are to work on but did chicken out of doing the cambelt.

Clutches and dual mass flywheels are expensive (450ish for the parts from gsf), front upper wishbones wear and if it's a pd the oil is 35ish a pop but it's a good motorway cruiser, fast good mpg and stacks of torque.

I think it's one of those things - get well looked after one and you'll have cheap motoring, get a badly looked after one and it could get expensive.

3. jettagti Forum Member

Just bought an '01 TDI 130 SE estate 151,000miles 6 months tax 1 years test. New front springs, upper susp arms, rear discs, pads and caliper. Bit tatty in places but nothing major 850 BARGAIN![:D]

4. rich81 Forum Member

Sounds like a good price for that. B5/5.5's are great workhorses and if it wasn't for the crap front suspension design they would be even better. A lot of Passat's are becoming write-offs for people when they takes them to garages and are quoted 500 to repair the front suspension.