Hillclimb gearbox mk3 gti

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by VRSteve, Mar 2, 2007.

1. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Yeah seen all those Chris ta, made by Hor arn't they ? Just dont fancy the price! :lol:

If the 4.4's & 4.6's are available from VW or Rover for around the 150 mark then thats much more like it... certainly worth looking into. I'll try and do some digging with our local MG/Rover dealer down here.

2. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

The Kaaz unit's sound very much like the Gripper one's, they can be adjusted via different ramp rates etc. A plate type diff can give a better "bite" but the gear type (Quaife) is more user friendly (less snatchy). Mine works fine (the Quaife), you hardly know it's there but it does the job very well with no downsides (snatch). But good luck with the Kaaz, be good to see another type in use.

Yeah Helix very good. Certainly worth looking into those part numbers Chris put up, from memory my Helex pressure plate is marked Sachs!... with a Helix stamp on it. :lol:

I think what Hotgolf was saying is the drive straps on the pressure plate are tripled-up. Also, the area they're attached to is thicker than a standard type plate. I was going to do the same as Hotgolf suggested with bolts & small K-nuts to hold the extra straps in place until I saw the thicker material of the Helix/Sachs cover.

Be good to see another MK1 on the hills. :thumbup:

3. VRSteve Forum Member

we shall see how it goes. spoke to a few guys who use them in stage rallying and they swear by them, guess just see what happens!!

Ordered the helix clutch, they do a six paddle now so went for that!! hill starts may be a problem tho!!!

il let u know when the mk1 is up and running maybe il see u on the hills sometime.

cheers for all ur help and advice. much appreciated and hope to speak to you soon.

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Worth a go. Though bear in mind, there's much more room on a rally stage than on a hillclimb.

Look forward to seeing another MK1 on the hills... PM me anytime if you get stuck with anything, or hunt me down on the ASWMC hillclimbs this year.

5. Dub20vt Forum Member

hell that'll be three mk1s :o

6. VRSteve Forum Member

shall i also roll out the fat boy mk3 and see if titanic can do hillclimbs???? engine spec in both is identical :p