How low for a MK3??

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by *Ben*, Apr 7, 2007.

1. *Ben* New Member

I am thinking as some of you know about putting some D90's onto my MK3 and i really want to know how much of a drop is needed on the golf? what have you guys got on your MK3? any pics feedback advice would be great!

Many Thanks,

Ben [:D]

2. leeroy8v Forum Member

droped mine last weekend 40mm all round looks 100 btimes better but the front is still a tad high i got 17" s on it the only srub i get is from the rear pas side arch hope it helps

3. *Ben* New Member

well i am going to rum 16" Design 90's with 8" wide on the back and 6" on the front! was looking at 60mm but not too sure with speed bumps and things like that. think i might look for 40mm drop.

4. aimee

aimee Forum Member

right, i posted this pic in your other thread Ben, but thought i'd show you again here.
    [​IMG]
    the d90's are 7 and 8" wide, and his vr is dropped about 80-100mm on weitec coilovers. it scrapes in places, but isnt too bad.

[​IMG]
    My car is lowered about 80mm we think and on 16" BBS's and can be seen above and in my sig, and again, this scrapes occasionally, but i still want it slightly lower :lol:

5. *Ben* New Member

Right then! thats cool, so i think i will look at 60mm first before i decide to spend big bucks on coilovers! thanks again Aimee!! cool car by the way!

Us Green GTI's have to stick together!!! lol

6. KYE

kye Forum Member

Hi.
    im thinking of lowering, just by 40mm or so..
    i have a mk3 16v.. are these lowered standard by about 20mm?
    if they are, will 40mm springs only make a 20mm difference then or something? has anyone got any pics of mk3s on 40mm springs?

im sticking with the standard alloys,so hopefully 40mm will make a more of a difference than if i were on 16s or 17s or summin

7. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

My car on 16x8 D90's. Its on coil overs with a bit of arch work front and back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was lower than those pictures too (lowest setting on FK konigsports fornt and back) until I wrapped it round a tree weekend before last!

8. *Ben* New Member

Shame about the car mate!! i am picking up my design 90's tomorrow just need to find the tyres! 225/50/16 rear and 20/50/16 front!!

9. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Put a post on your other thread. Cars dead but all the go faster bits aren't!! I've already got another. Colour concept this time. Suspensions going on tonight!!

10. dT MK3 4

dT MK3 4 Forum Member

You thought about the 60/40 split if getting spring n shock combo instead of coilovers? Just a thought as My old 3 looked a tad high on the front compared with the rears as it was a spring n shock combo...talked to Awesome GTi and they suggested the 60mm Front, 40mm Rear Spring set up and i gotta say it looks better.

11. maz5431 New Member

had my old mk3 on coilovers, 120mm on rear and 100 on front, never caught with d90s 0n
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. *Ben* New Member

Like i have posted on another thread i think that my major issue is what size tyres to put onto the alloys!! i was under the impression taht you had to stick with the sam size tyres as what came off the alloys?? but i noticed that alot of you are running with 8" D90's and only outting 205 tyres on! the guy that i am buying the alloys off says the rear alloys are running 225 can this be changed?? Very confused!!!!

Any Help would be great!!

Thanks!

Ben Roberts.

13. maz5431 New Member

yea they can be changed mine had 205s on front and back, but 6" wheels front and 8" on rear. not sure how low it could go with the bigger tyres on the back!!

14. *Ben* New Member

Sounds good to me then!! think i will go 195/45/16's with a 60mm drop with 6" on the front and 8" on the back!!!! Cool!!

Thanks every1!

15. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

Just put a post on the other thread but whilst on the topic of D90's...

If anyones interested I've got 2 spare 16x8J mirror polished D90's complete with centre caps if anyones interested in a front width upgrade or any other combo for that matter! PM me if you're interested.

16. Pete Taylor Forum Member

Got my suspension in my boot ready to have fitted to my mk3 valver. Dropping 40mm at the back and 60mm at the front on 205/40/17s

Just bought a deep chin splitter too... let's see how long that stays on for...

17. *Ben* New Member

18. aimee

aimee Forum Member

they are exactly the same as mine mate, except mine have Jamex stickers on them which made them 100 more expensive (would have got them cheap ones if i'd known they were the same!)

i will tell you now, on my valver the ride is rather bouncy. I'm used to it now, but big bumps still catch me out!

19. *Ben* New Member

So you think that they are a steal at that price?? need to get them ordered think i will do it when i get home!!

20. aimee

aimee Forum Member

yeh. they are cheap. i paid 295 for my Jamex ones, and they are exactly the same as those ones, so wish id have gone with the cheap ebay ones too and saved myself 100.