how often do you get to see wildlife?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by alexisblades99, Nov 16, 2009.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

lol - love the 16v tortoise. I must have missed him before.

I have three tortoises - a mating pair of Hermans and an elderly spur-thighed tortoise, who is at least 80 that we know of, so your Rusty is a mere stripling in comparison. Her name is Peggy and I think she has arthritis, as her front legs are swollen and she doesn't put them back in her shell; also sleeps with her head out, but she's fairly safe in my enclosed garden.

[​IMG]

Peggy is the one in the middle. Rosie (left) is the mate of Henry (right) who is very randy and spends most of his time trying to mate her - and often falling off, as she is bigger than he is. She gets bored of all the attention, and often walks off in the middle of it, although she does lay the occasional egg.

2. I live in Norway, I almost run over deers all the time, we have fox and alot of sheeps, cows and goats, very nice nature :)

3. some eagle too :thumbup:

4. Admin Guest

Barn owls, seen a lot of them recently can't get a shot of the lcal one.

Bloody foxes to, barking away last night, bring back the hunt to sort them out!

5. Admin Guest

Saw a pod of dolphins jumping out of the water here the other evening. Was watching them for 2 hours in the loch. I'll try and get a vid from a work colleague. I've never seen dolphins so playful they were jumping out of the water straight up. Most of the people at work stopped and were watching it made our night.

Saw a sea eagle a few weeks back. Seals are about every day at the mo here.

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

^^ Thats awesome, Iv never seen dolphins I dont think, and like most people Id love to swim with them, maybe one day.

7. somafunk Forum Member

On the 4 mile cycle to work this morning i saw (in order of appearance), swans and cygnets which i fed bread, kingfishers, red kites & buzzards, an otter crossing my path 20yrds in front of me, numerous red squirrels chattering at me up trees as i passed underneath, and on the way home t'night on my bike i almost ran over a fawn the size of a yorkshire terrier lying in the grass, it's mother was nowhere to be seen but she was obviously about somewhere so i left it be without disturbing it and carried on home along the deserted coastal path.

I dunno how folk can choose to live in built up areas?, we aren't designed to live in cities, thank god deepest darkest galloway is pretty much the most unpopulated area in the uk, i panic and break out in a sweat anytime i can't see mountains/trees or smell fresh air and i fkin despise cities with a genuine hatred and pity for those that live in them.

At the moment i have "jerry" the red squirrel bouncing about my back garden getting pi$$ed off with me as i haven't fed him or his new family yet and a song thrush belting out a tune as the sun goes down, not to mention the bloody pheasants skarting and digging about my herb garden whilst i look into the field at the numerous rabbits cowering from the red kites circling overhead and i'm convinced there's some deer down there in the forest, nah....you can stick city life up yer ar$e.......;).

I may work in a $hite job for a $hite wage that give a $hite so called level of living but i consider myself to have a privileged lifestyle, shame my bank balance or severe lack off it doesn't take that into account.

Below are a few pics of various routes i can use as i cycle to and from work, it's not that hard to live out in the sticks really :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: and the back roads are really quiet and very open so you can see if owt is coming, they're usually totally deserted in fact so you can pretty much bounce off the rev limiter to your hearts content.

8. Admin Guest

wish my ride to work took in some of those views, instead i have to dodge fckwit drivers on back roads.

9. saw a moose one week ago :)

10. b'locks Forum Addict

I live near the coast in the south east and last year during the heavy snow I woke up one morning to find an entire family of foxes creeping through my back garden. There were 7 of them, mum, dad and 5 cubs. Ran to get my camera but they had passed over into next door before I could get a snap [:^(]

11. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I had a jay and a pair of goldfinches in my garden, feeding on the seeds in a centaurea flower. (Had to go and look them both up in my bird book, though, to find out what they were)

Not bad, considering I live in the inner city.

12. b'locks Forum Addict

i also saw a rhino this morning and a duck-billed platypus riding a bicycle

13. Jommanjo Forum Member

Had a few days in the field last week, got a tick stuck in my arm, does that count?

14. Admin Guest

saw a falcon this evening try and take a partridge out of the field next to the house.
    never seen one fly wild before or try and take something. Only seen it during falcon displays

15. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Seen loads of wildlife today. Me and the mrs are down the new forest this week, right near the coast in New Milton.

:thumbup:

16. D4LFR Forum Member

Picked a new car up from the top of scotchland yesterday can't believe how much wildlife I saw.

Millions of rabbits and hares, deer all over ,kestrels and a hawk just casually sat on a rock ...amazing place!

17. Admin Guest

There's plenty down in Surrey, spotted a deer as I started a run the other day, just a couple of hundreds metres from the house.

18. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

More than I like, especially stags lol

19. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I was out on the water today and saw 3 or 4 porpoise in the Forth.

And last year I was lucky enough to see and get really close to a pod of pilot whales.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  20. Admin Guest

I awoke to something different in the bedroom today, he flew around the room very well, but did not want to go out of the window this morning even though I tried my hardest to persuade him. So I left him in the room, windows and blinds shut so he could sleep in the dark hanging from the light fitting, then, this evening when dark, i opened the windows and guided him out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]