How to add a TPS to a G60 throttle body

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Trev16v, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my solution for adding a TPS to a G60 throttle body for use with Megasquirt.

I used a throttle position sensor from a Ford at the scrapyard. Someone might be able to point out which particular Ford it comes from.

The wide-open and closed throttle switches are removed and one of the threaded holes may be used to secure the TPS. It is also necessary to cut away a protrusion from the plastic part that would normally actuate the switches.

A hole is drilled into the lever that the throttle cable attaches to. On the TPS, a little lever is fabricated using a little piece of steel, a nut and a bolt. The bolt is cut to the correct length and the end of it is filed down to form a 'D' cross section so that it fits into the TPS. Note that the TPS has a slightly greater rotational distance to that of the throttle valve lever, so get the holes positioned such that the TPS sweeps around as much as possible between closed throttle and WOT.

Trev

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  2. bens_cab Forum Junkie

good work there mate not the easiest thing to ad on to a g60

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Good work!.

4. Trev16v

Just to prove that I am still working on this bloody project. :lol:

5. bens_cab Forum Junkie

lol how longs it been lets just hope its mumma of all g60s lol

6. Admin Guest

Didn't you get the memo?

[​IMG]

7. Yandards Forum Member

Nice work Trev. Did you consider using the one designed for the G60 TB?

It is used on california spec cars/automatics and is still available from the dealers for around 60, part number 037 907 385 H.

8. G40chris Forum Member

I will keep my eye on his thread

9. Supercharged Forum Member

There is a manual one too (same price and also used on various Audi's) but with both you also need the matching TB (1000!)

Not sure what the differences are as I can't see VW vastly re-designing the TB for the last 1500 or so G60's... I suspect these cars also ran on the Siemens ECU too...

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Late Audi 80s and some 2.0 8v A4s have the TB with the TPS on it

11. Trev16v

I wanted to retain the G60 TB because of the boost return. But I suppose it's still possible to use the Audi 80 / A4 TB and have another arrangement for boost return. But I have two standard G60 TBs and this modification was just SO easy to do!

12. Yandards Forum Member

I cant see VW redesigning the entire TB casting for the G60 for either the auto or last 1500 or so engines that had a TPS.

The easiest way for them to do it would be to change the throttle butterfly spindles so that you can fit the VAG standard slotted type of TPS.

I also have a collection of G60 TBs, just need to get my hands on the VAG TPS to see how it fits.

13. rkengineering New Member

I'm got one of the G60 Auto throttle bodies which i had send over from the states for my G60 16v project. The main difference is the bracket thing which the TPS fits to to clear the boost return linkage. I looked at using a passat auto throttle body but you can't get the linkage to hook up on one of them.
    I'll post up some pics of it when i remember!

14. moretorque Forum Member

Hi

Trev16v ,I dont spose there is a part number on that ford TPS is there?
    thnks in advance.

15. thegave Forum Member

Hey Trev,

How does the lever on the TPS stay in the D-shaped hole? Did you just glue it?

16. Trev16v

Just used a bit of adhesive.

To be honest, while this works just fine, I think I'm going to do a better job of it that replicates how it's one on the auto G60 TB, where the TPS is mounted underneath directly to the butterfly shaft. However, the method I've done as above does work nicely, and it's probably quicker and easier to implement.

The TPS has return spring loading inside, so the linkage bar is always under a bit of tension.

17. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Top Job, thanks for posting Trev.

18. thegave Forum Member

Can I possibly persuade you to make another lever for the TPS? Or pass yours on to me? I would love to do it properly mounted to the butterfly shaft but I don't know how or if I'm going to get a longer shaft on this style of TB

[​IMG]

which is why this method looks so appealing.

19. Trev16v

I'm quite chuffed to have Brian.G himself compliment me on my mechanical bodgery [:$]

Over a year ago a chap on vwsyncro.co.uk emailed me some images of how be mounted his TPS to a G60 TB. He did a lovely job; it consisted of the TPS mounted directly to the butterflyshaft, with a kind of bent metal cage fabicated to position it. Rather like how an auto G60 TB perhaps does it. It would be interesting to see pictures of factory VW TBs with a TPS.

Thegave, the little insert is a little bolt (perhaps an M5, M6) filed down to make a "D" and then with the little flange lightly welded on top. I could certainly do one for you. Would this arrangement suit the TB you have too?

Alternatively is there any shaft protruding that could be filed down to a "D" so you can mount the TPS directly onto it?

Thinking about it, could you not obtain a standard VW TB that already has a TB? I was under the impression that they're quite easy to get hold of (see Toyo's comments about Audi 80 TB above). The main reason for modifying a G60 TB is because this unit is special having the boost return on it.

20. thegave Forum Member

Yes it would be the easiest way of hooking up a TPS to the throttle mech, there's nothing even remotely big enough to directly mount the TPS to, so I'd be extremely grateful if you could help me in that regard.

There are many VAG twin-butterfly TB's with the TPS but they are all one piece. I want to use/keep the flat, two piece design because instead of the upper lip part, I have a cast metal elbow made by TurboTechnics which makes it much easier to connect to the IC. With the one-piece TB, the only real option is silicone hose, but that area is a bit too tight even for a 90' bend. And then it's not even a straight shot from there to the IC.

Second alternative would be a 90' TB adapter to mount the TB offboard of the manifold, but they're over $200USD so sod that.