How to convert your Digi Golf 2 to MegaSquirt V3x. P3 28/11/11 The end of an era!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Toyotec, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The engine will remain the same. The Audi lump is also a 3A. After some thought and the fact this car is needed by my wife I will swap the crankshaft and oil pump from the 3A motor I am stripping right now and reuse on my misses car. This way I can continue mapping and then testing the hardware more or less as it was.

2. Noworriesvw Forum Member

Great thread, i'm in the process of building up parts to convert my digi to MS..

3. Toyotec

Success. Its very torquey. Mapping completed for now.

05/08/07
    Following my ordeal with my engine on Thursday, Saturday night I exhumed and old Audi 3A motor turned it upside down and cannabilised for the crankshaft pump and matching bearings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG].
    Quick check with plastigage showed the bearing crush was with spec.

Today I got up early and started to remove the damged motor from The 8v with the help of a fellow Starlet turbo owner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This motor was also turned upside down and its crank and pump removed.
    A quick run to ECP for a few sudries and we were back assembling the motor.
    [​IMG]

All was well when the motor was assembled and oil pressure is back.
    I later hooked up the WB sniffer to the tail paipe and continued calibrating and started data log for torque curve and in gear acceleration..
    The final result was very interesting as low down torque increased and the peak power (similar to the digi EMS) has moved up by 500rpm.
    Here is a graph comparing the Megasquirt controls against the previous EMS.
    MS trace in blue
    Digi in Black
    Blitz "chip" in red.
    [​IMG]

You can also see how I set-up the AFRs at WOT to achieve peak torque and follow cylinder filling.

0-60 8.8secs for chipped EMS and 8.1secs for STD unit.
    1/4mile 16.7@83mph for chipped and 16.3@85mph for STD
    Digi Torque = 89.1lbft@2942rpm
    Chipped Torque = 84.8lbft@3954rpm
    Digi actual road horsepower 78.5rhp@5186rpm
    Chipped horsepower = 75.9@5100rpm
    With the Megasquirt my 0-60 times are now 7.8 secs to 60 and 16.0@ 87mph 1/4 mile times.
    This has improved but is not my target.
    Megasquirt power= 79.8rhp@5500rpm
    Megasquirt torque= 93.0lbft@2150rpm with 91lbft still at 3300rpm
    . Then it very slowly drops to 5500rpm hp peak.
    I do believed though, the cam in this motor is very soft and would something more "EV" like to bring out the 2.0 litreness of this motor. But the surge from idle is much more noticable as can be seen from the results.

My Wife will be reunitied with the car for the next week and I will let everyone know how we get on with the fuel economy and any other changes. This last week was a long but in the end the car is up and running much stronger thanks to Megasqurirt.

All this from a STD motor.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

good article. sorry to hear of the bottom end troubles.

are you disapointed with the results? it seems that there was little gained.

good to see someone actually testing a blitz chip, altho i still think my car seems better:) for it altho not so much on hot days[:s] .

would the pb head be a better bet?

5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I'm impressed by the speed at which you've achieved all this.

I've spent several years on my 16V G60 and I reckon getting it ready for the MOT is still many weeks away!

6. paul_c Forum Member

Its a good demonstration of how chipping to increase power, is in fact a bit of a myth and adds only 5% or so, to a reasonably set up engine.

7. Toyotec

Results cannot dissappoint me when I know the feel of the car before and after.
    I estimated that there would be enough torque to carry the power peak to 6000ish. But it went to 5500 some 400 or so more than with the STD non adjustable EMS or with the burned eprom ( blitz)
    Forget the scaling values as they represent applied horsepower after rolling resistance, aero drag and drivetrain loss. Look at the torque curves as that is the feel of the car. Also the first 2 tests ( Blitz and Digi) were done on Tesco 99RON. MS one was done on Texeco 95RON. Wife reported the car is working very well in fact too good as its a bit more snappier and would have to get used to. The megasquirt allowed the hardware to achieve more torque output generally. As I tried to achieve the maximum torque at WOT per load site I can say that with this camshaft and single 65mm TB fitted that is the near enough what you would get out of one of these motors.
    With a PB head, which has the same camshaft profile, you may change the decent of the torque curve as it may be flatter but you would still hit max torque of 93 or less, as measured, higher in the rpm band at say 3000ish.
    The megasquirt curve is also more consistant than the other other pulls.
    As the car had to be put on the road for this week and it was 12am in the morning when I did that MS calibration I am giving it a week before I return to study what can be done to extract more out of it in the upper rpm regions.
    Chips would only work if the eprom burner makes a cal for a specific engine. This is what a MS progammable system allows.

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

ahh more info, affects my interpretation of the results.

Is the megasquirt just controlling the fueling side of things? would switching to a MS controlled ignition provide more power,

which distributer are you using, is the curve std?

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

hmmm if i can find my original VW 'chip' i may try swapping that back in.

once ive done some more engine work (zorst, manifold, cams, porting) ill get a proper remap then :p

10. Toyotec

The MS1 V3 extra used here replaced the digi ems. So both.
    Power production is based on torque which is based on VE.
    Dizzy used is a STD hall sensor dizzy.

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

I have three digi ecu's two original and one with a blitz type chip. I have just got hold of a brand new in its packet chip made by weber for the digi ecu, which i look forward to trying. if that no good then i may go and see BBR for a chip! as amd and almost everyone else seems to have stopped listing them,

Megasquirt hasn't made a great difference to Toyo's car so ill probably stick with the digi system for now

12. Toyotec

Lemme correct you megasquirt has not made a differece to my peak output but has changed the character of the motor in a way that no generic eprom can by allowing more torque to be realised. Plus you cannot order a chip off the shelf to suit my particular motor.
    This is why I did the before and after tests.

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

ok, ok, chill.

I was eager to try the Weber chip as it isnt a generic chip! i has the date stamped on it when it was made in july 91 i think. So should id imagine be specific for the car.

I was thinking of going to MS but due to the birth of my daughter and the cost of purchasing and getting someone like yourself to install set it up i am delaying making the commitment to a particular system,

the other option is carbs, for a couple of hunderd quid a pair of 40's can be had. and i can do most of that work myself. Im not upto speed with the complexities on the MS Systems, but would like to find out more. Do you know of any recommended reading?

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Awesome progress Toyo, nice work :thumbup:

Interesting results on the ECU chips as well, don't suppose I could trouble you for the ECU part #s or at least the manufactures of the 2 ECUs you tried? Its interesting to note some chip manufacturers say that their chips dont work well with some makes of ECU.

I swapped out my chipped TA ECU with an unchipped Bosch unit, and 1st 'seat of the pants' impressions are it does pull a bit better and top end seems a bit stronger :thumbup:

I'm sevewrely tempted to make up my own MS loom now, I love fiddling about with stuff I shouldnt :lol: Good news about being able to run MS off the original dizzy too, since my block has no provision for a crank sensor :)

15. bens_cab Forum Junkie

each engine is different to prove this i used my map from my 20vt and used it on another 20vt running ms in my car the map is spot on when tranfered to another car it needed tweaking here and there before its was spot on

just because it says its for your engine doesnt mean its been set to that engine if you get me wear and tear on engines happens in different ways

16. Noworriesvw Forum Member

Toyotec, I'm defintately going down this route and can compentantly install and make up a wiring loom, how easy is it to tune and map ?? Do you import and make the ecu's yourself ??

17. bens_cab Forum Junkie

toyotec imports and builds these to spec and has a good range of base maps to start with tuning isnt to hard if you have a wideband

18. Toyotec

Its all cool.
    Eprom changes may make a difference to the fuelling on digi 2 but cannot alter igniton tables in most cases. MS does both. Makers or burners of chipss tend to smoothen out the AFRs dips that the digi EMS has. But in the case of the generic chips sold on the bay I have seen from this experiment that they run the car very lean and make less torque throughout the rev range and thus less power ulitmately.
    The ECU that had a so called chip in it as uses in my test was tested on N7NDOs daily driver before we installed the ABF on MS. It made his 8v engine feel similar to my 2.0 8v but with less torque. I will get the comparison curves up when I have some time. I also tested this car before and after and compared it to a Kjet ABF car and a digi3.2 car again the MS car was far more responsive than both K jet and digi due to calibrating for peak torque in load/speed sites.

For more on MS ECUs and they configurations Go to www.msefi.com forums and click on success stories then you will see various makes in there including VW.

19. Toyotec

A MS loom for you is a piece of pi1s$. Its all lablelled.
    The motor will still be an 8v but a very smooth one with the right calibration. And as you have subtle add ons you can calibrate for these.

20. joeb Forum Member

now thats what i call a true vw nut! nice work toyotec[:D]