How to make my car thief proof

Discussion in 'Security' started by Chrisrpal, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Chrisrpal Events Team

How can I make my car as thief proof as possible? any good idea's?

I already have a clifford, tracker and steering wheel lock. Is there any good tricks to do under the bonnet to stop a thief stealing my pride and joy? ie. a heavy duty switch to cut power to starter motor?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

this your abf mk2? if so you could add later abf ecu plus the immob box, fit reader coil to ign switch and get a chipped key cut to match your mk2 locks. car wont go without your key then :)

3. Admin Guest

Easy........... Move to a crime free area like I did - the Isle Of Skye :lol:

4. Chrisrpal Events Team

Yes abf mk2 John. I only got one chipped key with ECU so I couldn't really do that option unless I get another chipped key from VW, good idea. Any idea's how much a chipped key will cost?

Saying that will the transponder fit on ignition barrell ok without giving problems to the plastic steering column cover?

5. Chrisrpal Events Team

Agreed however when you leave the car say down the coast for an afternoon or outside a friends house it still doesn't stop a thief trying his luck!! My father in law to be will be using it too so hope he doesn't park it anywhere dodgy. [:[] Seeing the stolen post section, I feel sorry for that chap having his VR MK2 stolen, more so if he spent alot of cash on it and did the engine conversion himself.

6. rubjonny

you can swap the chips between keys no problem, pops out with a bit of persuasion :)

the reader coil fits 90spec mk2 no bother, not 100% sure if it goes on pre-90 but iirc someone had done this no probs?

if you want 2 keys you can get mk3 chipped key blanks off ebay for not much money, then its a case of getting local locksmith to cut the blade, then buy a vag-tacho cable off ebay for 20 or so then you can match the new chip to the immob box, or ask a local cgtier or even proper car locksmith type guy should be able to do it for you. i think they just clone your old chip rather than go into car diagnostics tho

7. Chrisrpal Events Team

Cool sounds like a very good idea to me, will do just that. :thumbup:

8. Chrisrpal Events Team

Is this key ok to use?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Key-Ne...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25687e4408

9. rubjonny

10. Chrisrpal Events Team

11. rubjonny

no idea! you will only need 1 of em coded as you can swap your matched chip over to one of the blanks :)
    not sure if you can get 3 chips matched into the immob box, not tried this one yet! as i say may be worth rinnging some auto locksmiths see what they say

12. Chrisrpal Events Team

Cool, I assume the key can be opened and remove one of the chips to replace it with my chip?

13. rubjonny

yarp, pop it open with a screwdriver and the chip is inside. as i say it can take a little persuasion to get the chip out as they're glued, but if you're binning the old key anyway you can just chop up the key housing till the chip falls out if you're worried about damage

14. Chrisrpal Events Team

Cool :) I spoke to VW in sevenoaks this afternoon, they said they charge 54 and will take 30 mins to code the key.

15. rickygolf83 Forum Member

snap off steering wheel

no wheel = no go!

:thumbup:

16. VdubNash Forum Member

Disklock - thatcham cat 3 - are very good.

Bit weighty but I've had no probs having it in the car all the time.

17. coupechamp Forum Member

18. Willowraf Forum Member

You could always hydrolock your brakes so even if they did get it started it would never move.. Also could be towed either..:thumbup:

19. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

seen a trick a while back in practical performance cars, it was a battery isolator, with removable key it also used a 10amp fused wire powering the alarms and kept radio codes. any attempt to start just popped the fuse.

might be time to upgrade the house security! if you`re that worried

20. dave990 Forum Member

thief proof best of luck with that you can only put them off or slow them down if there after your car that bad ;)