How to make my car thief proof

Discussion in 'Security' started by Chrisrpal, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Chrisrpal Events Team

Thanks for all the replys. It has given me lots to think about ;)

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Or.. Sell it and buy a Lada.. Pretty much thief proof then!

My first car had an interetsing anti theft device, a chain welded to the transmision tunnel and a padlock that attached said chain to the gear stick, but only when in reverse!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Chrisrpal Events Team

lol... that is really funny!! Well I have rear door handles fitted to front, clifford alarm, tracker and steering wheel lock!! All I need now is a guard dog :lol:

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

not alot else you can do, vw sold 'rip plates' which help stop the locks getting slim jimmed, but if they want in brick + window so no point putting in too much effrt to keep em out. id rather they got in without damage though personally, but unless they have vag-com and a spare immob box + chip they aint driving it aay :lol:

5. Chrisrpal Events Team

Forget to mention I have those door plates too. I had some w**ker try his luck about 5 years ago but just ended up wrecking the door, so I needed a replacement.

I guess I could put a wheel clamp on, would be a pain taking that around in the boot everywhere though. I think if a thief really wants your car he'll get it.

6. dave990 Forum Member

a m8 of a work m8 had some top end motorbike with all the anti this and that + a ground anchor in the garage
    just to come home after 2 weeks away to find no bike as i said you can only put them off or slow them down

7. fishnchipsx2 Forum Member

Snap-off steering wheel ftw, works as a visual deterrent too so they don't even bother trying

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

A rottweiler that hasn't eaten in a couple days in the back seat.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

You need to think about who you're trying to protect your car from.

Pikeys nicking it for the scrap value? An alarm might help. but they'll generally have a tow truck. More likely to nick cars that look half-abandoned though, but if they want it, you won't stop them.

Joy Riders nicking it because it looks fast, and because old cars are easier to nick - a snap off steering wheel and decent immobiliser should stop most of them

Someone nicking it to break it for bits - much more likely if you've got fancy wheels and leather / recaro seats - They'll probably have a tow truck. Mechanical upgrades aren't nearly so obvious.

Nick to order? More likely on high end, valuable cars - not much you can do about those. Car will probably be winched straight in the back of a refrigerated (insulated) van. Don't park your bank account on the street, would be my advice.

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Disklok, anti slim-jim plates, plate to cover bonnet release and leave nothing on display.

11. Chrisrpal Events Team

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Wouldn't it be ironic if someone broke in and stole the snake!

13. Chrisrpal Events Team

Yeh ironic :lol:

14. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

stolen to order for bits i'd say. normally the way with performance cars and bikes that are secured. it was probably one of his "mates" that did it too or at least they will have put someone else onto it.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

You'd have to put the car in a heated garage to keep the snake warm - problem solved :lol:

16. Marty's Dub Forum Member

A bit hideous and a pain in the bollox everytime you want to drive your car. One of these gear locks.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUL-T-LOC...cessories_Safety_Security&hash=item3cbf11261a

I have one on fitted to my Mk1 Golf in S.A which happens to live on the street! Insurers back home won't actually insure Mk1 Golfs anymore as they are one of the most popular stolen! Apart from that all it has is the key transponder

17. seanr68 Forum Member

A disklok is a great deterrent and difficult to defeat.
    One of those autolok gearstick things.This will help stop anyone trying to tow it away.
    Also a good alarm/immobilser means you'll be warned if anyone trys to break in.
    As Mike said...if someone wants it bad enough, they'll probably get it. [:x]

18. deejay 1976 Forum Member

i have a small two way switch in my service book hatch under the steering wheel, this is connected to the live side of the fuel pump, also have a multi lock on the gearbox and a disklock on the steering wheel, all these are a deterrent to the average car thief but if someone wants it bad enough they will get it by any means they can, even breaking into your house for the keys, a lot of hothatches are impossible to steal with out the keys, this is why they break in, my advice is secure it the best you can and have a bloody big dog in the house[:D]

19. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

we`ve all massively overlooked one thing here..

what no one could stand in a car would be a whining old tart, although this could ruin your driving experience too.
    i have one free to any home!!!

20. deejay 1976 Forum Member

have you any pictures of this security device ???? ;);)