How to tell ABF from KR?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by stuey, Dec 14, 2006.

1. stuey Forum Member

Hi, i recently bought my 1990 Mk2 GTI 16v which is supposed to have had an ABF fitted using the original K-Jet injection. I am pretty sure this is the case, but i just want to confirm it for my peace of mind. I asked about where the engine no. is which i tried to check when buying the car, supposed to be above a square plastic breather on the front of the block just under the head. I looked there, but it looks like the number may have corroded away. Is there another way of identifying it as an ABF or KR easily? I can't see a number on the cam cover which was mentioned either, but it might be hidden away.
    To the left of the block on the front the number 92 is cast in, and 17B to the right hand side. Does this mean anything?
    Thanks for reading all that!

2. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

The height of it... the ABF is 14mm taller than a KR, should be quite noticeable in the engine bay, possibly a dent in the bonnet x-braces...

3. stuey Forum Member

It does look quite tall, but i haven't got a KR to compare it to.

4. Daz... Forum Member

How many sensor holes does it have on top of the oil filter housing? KR's have 2, ABF's have 3....

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Cam cover on ABF is smooth and should have a bar coded label viewed from the top. KR ones have lines with a VW logo in the middle.

6. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

if its using the kjet then surely it will have to be a KR head, or am i mistaken

7. stuey Forum Member

Thanks guys, to be honest i don't know whats going on. I have been told by The Phirm and Stealth that on the back of the block above the driveshaft it will have 1.8 or 2.0 cast on the block. I will have to try and get underneath and have a look. The other way is to measure the height from the bellhousing top bolt to the head gasket line, but i don't know the measurement for a KR. Anyone know??

8. The db

The db Forum Junkie

A KR engine looks like this.... If yours looks a bit different then you got yourself an ABF

[​IMG]

9. Daz... Forum Member

Here's my ABF engine in my mk2. Might help you, but the only real difference I can see is the oil filter housing and probably the breather on the front of the block if im not mistaken.

[​IMG]

10. Toyotec

Sorry if I was not clear on that I mean Cambelt cover. KR/9A ones will be too short.

11. stuey Forum Member

Thanks for the pic. My breather housing looks like a black moulded item. I have taken a couple of pics of the oil filter housing and the breather.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

12. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

The engine number is usually stamped on that flat rectangular bit above the breather housing as you say and would start 'KR', '6A' or whatever. Has it been removed? Could it buried under a bit of surface rust perhaps?

They do have 1.8 or 2.0 stamped on the back of the block but it'd be hard to see with the engine in the car, it's near the drivers side rear engine mount if it's there. Perhaps visible from underneath with a light and a mirror once the plastic driveshaft cover thingy is removed?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  13. stuey Forum Member

I have cleaned the area up where the number should be with a wire brush, it looks like it may have rusted off which i have been told is quite common. I hope the number is visible on the back from underneath, i am hoping someone will see my pics and confirm if the breather and oil filter housing look like ABF ones...

14. stuey Forum Member

I forgot, you can see in the pics that the oil filter housing has 2 sensors, but has a third hole which has a blanking plug in it. Daz said Kr's have 2 sensor holes, does mine count as having three??

15. paul_c Forum Member

Might or might not help - you could look at the engine number on the engine and compare it with your V5. If the engine numbers match, and the car's had an engine conversion, then the previous owner will probably also have updated the cubic capacity on the V5. The KR would be 1781cc and the ABF would be 1984cc.......

16. stuey Forum Member

There is no engine number on the block thats the problem! The V5 has never been changed, and i couldn't verify my engine number anyway.

17. stuey Forum Member

Just noticed, the pic of the KR lump posted by The db has got a red dipstick, where the Daz pic and my pic both show a grey dipstick. A clue maybe??

18. Toyotec

stuey from what you have shown the curved oil filter housing and plastic breather suggests a 92> motor. ABF units motor have a cranksensor in the block just under the oil filter housing near the flywheel end. This may have been plugged by the last modified.

Also if you were to jack up the car and look at the engine between the driver side CV shaft axle ( where the 3 bolt sheild use to be) you should see a big 2.0 stamped on the block

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  19. Toyotec

If you were to click on the picture in my signiture and notice my rocker cover there are stoppers for the 10mm AF nuts down inside a recessed hole the mark of a genuine ABF head. KRs and 9As would have bolts and no rubber stoppers.

20. MUSH Forum Member

get underneath and have a look at the back of the block:-

-9a and 6a 2 litre blocks are also known as `bubble` blocks and you can tell this as the back of these blocks bulge out due to them being the same height as krs but with a bigger capacity.
    HOWEVER a kr and abf block are pretty much flat (albeit different heights).

So does it bulge or is it relatively flat?

-Next check is does it have a big stamped 1.8 or 2.0 on the back of the block? (Easy to see from underneath with a good torch)

If its flat with a 1.8 stamped, its a KR (1.8)

If its flat with a 2.0 stamped, its an ABF (2.0)

If it bulges with a 2.0 stamped, its either an audi 6a or a vw 9a (both 2.0)

In my eyes it doesnt get simpler than that if the breather, oil filter, crankcase sender is undistiguishable or possibly changed in the past.