How to tell ABF from KR?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by stuey, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

kr doesnt have a crank postion sensor a abf does...

2. Daz... Forum Member

I'd say from them pics that it is an ABF.

Looks the same as mine -

[​IMG]

3. stuey Forum Member

Thanks for that Daz, it does look the same. I'm trying to get under the car to have a look at the back, if i can get the damn thing high enough!

4. stuey Forum Member

I managed to get the car up on the ramps and find the number, thank god its a 2.0 :)
    It was a bit hard to find the number, it was on the cambelt end halfway up. I had to lay on my back and look through a gap between 2 fixing bolts holding a bracket to the bottom of the block. I'm glad i found it, as the breather and oil filter holder looked right but it seems to have a Kr Cambelt cover. Thanks to everyone who helped out :lol:

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it has got a KR cambelt cover then it won't fit properly, as the ABF engine is taller.

Assumung the crank sensor is in the same position as the 8v engines....Below and to the right of the oil filter housing, sort of behind the bracket for the front engine mount, there should be either a crank sensor fitted into a hole in the block, just at the far right of the block, or a metal blanking plate. It's held in with 1 bolt as standard.

6. MUSH Forum Member

if theres no obvious crank sensor or its been plugged up then maybe its a 9a/6a block. What was the rear of the block like? Towards the bottom of the block at the rear the block `bulges` quite obviously to accomodate for the longer throw of the crank as its a 2l. You simply cannot miss this, it will be the deciding factor in which engine you have.

7. stuey Forum Member

It definitely had a bit of a bulge at the back. I'm not too fussed what block it is, it's a 2 litre and thats what i wanted to check. Thanks again for the help :)