How you decide whats the best amount to spend on tyres?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by G-Man, Dec 3, 2008.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Simple question really: Need some new tyres for the mk4 as the Dunlop SP1's which have astounded me with grip and wear rate need replacing. However I want to try other tyres as for the price of replacing the Dunlop's I think there is better out there at the price of 80 a corner. This had made me thought that the extra pennies on the bigger main brands are worth it as they are known to last longer than Japanese high performance tyres.

Here's what money currently gets me:

200 for 'Linglong/Wanli' tyres that look like Yoko AVS Sport tyres

250-260 for Falkens (both FK452 and their ZE912)/Toyo's T1-R

300 for Goodyear Eagle F1's/Bridgestones ER300/Continental contact 2

350 for Michelin Pilots Primacy HP

Everyone goes on about 'tyres are the one area not to save money' etc... but when do you decide when to say i'll spend xxx without comprimising tyre quality?

2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I’d go for F1’s every time, well worth the extra

3. prof Forum Addict

I agree with the pieman

4. PeeJay Forum Junkie

The way I see it, aside for some minor differences between brands in level of grip you've got:

Budget tyres that last forever, but offer shocking levels of grip, consult your nearest mini-cab for popular brands.

Budget tyres that have really very good grip, Kumo's and the like, which will last about 6k miles if you're lucky, but as that's a year for me....

Expensive main brand stuff that should really do both, but cost the earth. Mate of mine will only enterain the idea of Continentals on his A4 Quattro and, fair-play they last him ages and grip like **** to a rug. But a full set cost him 600.

And there's the mega-grip, high friction, semi-slick stuff which is a total liability in anything but bone dry, warm conditions.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

eagles or kumho ku31 (if its a nice saving)

6. Raider Forum Member

Never really based my Tyres on cost....

BF Goodrich Profilers every time on a car.... Been nothing but impressed with them just had 4 put on the Vectra[:$] converted to these from Michelin Pilots Primacys on the Mercedes I had...

And Insa Turbos on a 4x4[:$] Remould copies of many bigname 4x4 tyres... Cost me 77 a corner in 265/75/16 size......Read many reviews and others opinions.. and they suit me for the use the Trooper gets...

7. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

At work are service dept are doing buy 3 uniroyal tyres and the 4th is free. There well priced tyres but unsure of the grip and how long they last. Going to try some on the mk2 next. Sure someone will have opinion on uniroyal...

8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

the rainsports are good according to GVK.

personally i'd go for the f1's. if not them then i'd take toyo proxes t1s/r.

the falken fk452's have been getting very good reviews from the 200sx lot, so they can't be bad:thumbup:

9. Aphex Forum Junkie

We recently bought some Eagle's for the gf's a3, would definately recommend them even if they do cost a bit more.

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

im in the same situation im after two 215/35/18s i think i might try them fulkens

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

if i had a mk4 i would get the best tyre's going!!!!! got to get round the corners some how :p

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

aka velco (or an act of god) ;)

13. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

hang on... are these the same tyres you tried to sell me on saturday? who's mk2 were you planning on testing them on again???? cheeky sod! :clap: :lol:

.... dont remember you mentioning the 4th free though.... :thumbup:

14. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  15. JAY

Jay Forum Member

i've got falken 452's on my BM and they are miles better than the pilot2's that were on there

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

17. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Gaz is still Mr bitter and twisted of the budget tyre thread :lol: :lol: will he ever le it drop?

Youre wrong, you just dont know it yet​
    ;)

18. cocobay63 Forum Member

whenever i buy i always seem to buy, Toyo T1R's

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how many miles do your sets last?

20. Pricie Forum Junkie

I always end up buying Toyo's aswell.

There not the longest lasting tire in the world, but when it comes to sticking to the road, theres not alot better IMO.

I normally get about 16,000 miles out of a set, or on a FWD car, i get 16k on the front and roughly half as long again on the back.

I've had some Falkens, didnt rate them much TBH, Eagle F1's are a good tire for grip but road noise and comfort are shocking.

I've had some Wanli's too on my mk2 16v... Excellent dry weather grip (as good as a toyo i'd say) but downright dangerous in the wet! lol

The new Toyo Proxy 4S's seem like a good buy, i've got a couple up front on my Pulsar at the minute, excellent grip in both wet and dry conditions and they doesn't seem to be wearing too fast either :thumbup: