How you decide whats the best amount to spend on tyres?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by G-Man, Dec 3, 2008.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

Blackcircle's will do me the Kumho's for 55 a corner at a local tyre place.

Went to that tyre place to see if there's a deal their way....their deal is a special price of 90 a corner for Pirelli P6000's :lol: They only sold 4 tyres for my car, which 205/55/16 isn't a special or rare size :lol:

Wanli [:s], Pirelli P6000, Pirelli P7 and Michelin Primacy's

2. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    i dont share this opinion, and have just by accident downgraded from these tyres to the kumhos you are wanting to get - as they are on my D90s..

quite frankly i`m frightned.

mk2 vr6 from 185/55/15 avon zv3 to 195/45/16 kumho things (all round as i have 6" d90s) = no wet grip, no dry grip - infact i dare not USE the car now i mearly drive it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  3. G-Man Forum Junkie

Its all personal opinion: Lots of people love Nankang's for their grips whilst other call them the 'ditch finder'.

One of my favourite tyres is still the old Yokohama A539's

4. prof Forum Addict

if you are wearing out F1s quickly then there is something wrong with your car or how you drive.

5. Claypole Forum Junkie

Bah you just threw any cred you had away... :lol:

A539's were/are garbage and they knew it when they fobbed us off with them after scrapping the sublime A520, a travesty in the tyre business. [:^(]

6. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I'm a little curious as to how everyone has arrived at their opinions as to what tyre is better than another.
    Presumably you have all accurately measured your cornering speeds & stopping distances with different tyres using the same road in the same weather conditions?
    I can understand that it is easy to compare lap times on track cars but even then it would have to be an average of maybe half a dozen laps using different tyres on the same car.

7. The Hawk New Member

Agreed there is so many good tyres out their that it's almost impossible to decide which are best. I personally run Avon zz3s not the longest lasting but good gripping on the back roads i mostly travell. The best thing to do is only listen to people who say a certain type of tyre is garbage from experiance and discount that tyre. Plenty good ones 2 choose from so dont risk cheap unknown ones imo.

8. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

exactly what i was getting at.

New tyres will always feel better than worn

9. Claypole Forum Junkie

Pretty easy to decide which tyres you like after years of trying them everyday? :)

Pirelli P6000's were ok.

Yokohama A510's were good, A520's very good, A539's not as good and rubbish in the wet.

F1's good all round. If they stop making them I'll try something else. :thumbup:

It's all that's between you and the road so why risk buying cheap crap when branded stuff isn't that expensive these days off the internet?

10. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

:lol:

I can vouch for Eagle F1's :thumbup: yum yum.

[​IMG]

Try here - http://www.blackcircles.com/?c1=Adwo...up-50percentAd

If you're doing 30k miles per year you might need a harder compound though ? I've just replaced my fronts after 2 years (but it is a VR6) and about 17,000 miles (with the odd tracking problem :lol:). The rears look as though they have about 5mm left on them :clap:

11. Admin Guest

i'd disagree with the comments on A539's, i think they are great tyres. bit soft maybe in wear rates. If they are good enough for Palmers Clios cups at Bedford Autodrome they are good enough for me.

12. Claypole Forum Junkie

That's on a track which isn't the same as a wet crappily surfaced road.

Just didn't rate them at all in the wet but that's my own opinion obviously so I'll stick with the F1's seeing as they are under 50 each. :)

13. Admin Guest

i used them on the road too on those wheels that you didn't like on the white mk1:lol:

14. suttonval Forum Member

Either people are pinching rubber from my tyres during the night or i drive with a very heavy foot, but im lucky to if i get 8k out of a front set of tyres, lol. These yokohamas ive got on the front at the moment are shocking, will be switching back to a set of F1's as soon as money allows.

15. Claypole Forum Junkie

I'll stick with my F1's anyway. :lol:

16. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Whatever's on the next 50 set of alloys I buy.
    Tried the whole performance tyre thing a while back.
    Just encourages y' to wear them out quickly.
    Now I'd rather be sensible and cheap on the road and have a set of soft slicks for track.
    (like they'll be much use over next 5 months :lol:)

17. AndrewF Forum Addict

My tyre of choice as well........really really good traction. Some say they flex a little bit in the dry, but i never noticed it. Last a long time as well.

Sadly i can't get them in the size my mr2 needs so i have to run toyos......which are pretty good i guess, but not as good as the uni's. Also, is it just me but once they get past half worn does the grip level tail off massively....mr2 is only a non turbo and would barely spun up the wheels in dry with new tyres but will do it with ease once they're worn down halfway.

Yet to try eagle f1's as again can't get them in mr2 size, and on cars where i can get them i can't justify the extra cost of my much loved uni's!