Humming noise at 50+ mph

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by SmnByt, Aug 21, 2006.

1. FABVR6 Forum Member

diff bearings?

2. yardi29 Forum Member

hmmm

sure it aint ur fuel pump

3. jasonmc Forum Member

my cure, turn the radio up,ignore it till it fall's off, works for the mechanics that look after my truck!

4. SirGeekalot Forum Member

i have a similar problem with my gl...

have you figured it out yet? mine is when i turn right and i'm going over 30 mph..

i've bought a bearing but was told it isn't a job for a novice to do himself..

5. 8valvedub Forum Member

its not hard but you need a press to press the bearing in and out

6. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Easiest way to check wheel bearings> Jack up one wheel, spin the wheel with one hand with the other on the suspension strut, if the bearing is rough in operation you will feel it quite clearly through the suspension strut.

Bearings do not have to have play in them to be noisey!!

7. mull 8v

mull 8v New Member

Got the same proble on my 89 8v. Only done 100 or so miles in the car so just starting to check.

Just had a full set of tyres (noise there before), and had a full check at my local garage when it was serviced and MOT'd and nothing obvious there.

Guess I need to start checking all the things listed above, but mine is exactly the same starts at about 40MPH regardless of gear.

Not sure if it makes any diff but car has only done 90000 miles with VAG history.

8. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

I would definately say wheel bearing/s!!! An MoT test should include checking wheel bearings for smooth operation, most testers unfortunately just seem to check for play!!!

SmnByt, I would be checking the drivers side front wheel bearing asap!!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  9. SirGeekalot Forum Member

dont suppose anyone in the redhill area has a press?? i dont really want to be spending more money on getting this done.. i've got a bearing. just need the tools.

10. SirGeekalot Forum Member

ok,

so i've just spent 130 getting the bearing changed and the noise is still there. this is really beginning to bug me. the mechanic said he couldn't figure out what it was but that it might be brake related.

has anoyone else got any ideas??

11. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

Ditto! (mines a Helios Blue F plate MK2 too! :p!!)

I did notice the humming originally stopped going around left hand bends, but now hums all the time now :o

I've also changed wheels bearings and tyres too! [:s]

I've also noticed that there is vibration through the gear lever in 4th gear, so I'm starting to think the problem might be gearbox related.

Though I did get a brief 'clunk,clunk,clunk' noise going fast around a roundabout this morning, so may a possible CV joint problem.

I'll wait until either the gearbox or CV joint breaks, and I'll let you know ;)

Lhasa2008

12. Bolo New Member

Take your hub off, buy a bearing, take it to the garage. They very rarely sting you for just pressing a bearing. Heatons poped mine out and pressed a new one in 15 mins and charged me 15 quid for it. Can be done on a vice tho

13. blake Forum Member

drvie it till it brakes. you'll know what it is then

14. SirGeekalot Forum Member

aftrer lowering the car on Boge suspension, this noise is now permamnently there and getting worse..

from that i deduce it could be a driveshaft bearing or something similar? not the wheel bearing that worried me so much..

but why would it change now the car is lowered?