I am giving up!

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Dave, Sep 4, 2013.

1. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Definitely document the EV build here! :thumbup:

Goodridge hoses are better long run than rubber items, and who'd see them to know otherwise (other than youself, the NCT man?...oh, and everyone here! lol)

And the best clutch you can afford would be my preferred option.

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Don't buy a clutch with out giving me a shout first

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Glad to hear all is well now :thumbup:

the more threads the better! dont take for granted that a job is 'too easy' try reading thru some threads on edition38 :lol:

I always enjoy reading your threads regardless of the content as much from the engineering insights you offer as anythign else. Also Me Loves De Prity Pikchurez!

4. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Good to see your better Dave.

Guides with lots of pictures are always helpful and sure will be welcomed with open arms.

5. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Nice to see you back Matt.:thumbup:
    Mr Nasty is spot-on. Glad to hear that his disgraceful attempts to villify you came to nought!:clap:

I'll try to phone this weekend if that's OK.

Thanks for concern.
    Dave.

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Hi Dave,

Always interested in your posts & advice, the more the merrier :thumbup:

As for the cars ... I`m no purist, more one for an improved `original` if possible !

All the best :)

7. Dave

An explanation.

I was talking with Parz last evening and I mentioned that I was concerned that folks on CGTI probably wonder why I have such massive mood swings whilst some days I can be appear quite normal and acheive some good work! He suggested I tell it all and, as I was of a similar mind to do so, I am spilling the beans.

NOW! I am definietly not looking for sympathy! I do really appreciate all of the good wishes that I have already recieved, and I am managing quite well at the moment.

Firstly. I am a bit bi-polar. ie Chronically Depressed with Manic Tendancies, as one Irish doctor put it. The depression is the really bad part but the manic periods are short and sharp. The meds I am taking are really good and most of the time I cope very well but, there are periods when I need to take to my bed. I have suffered severe depressive states, and all that goes with them, for as long as I can remember. They got really bad in the 1990s that I had to retire from the best job in the world. I wish I could have continued.

Secondly. In April I was diagnosed as suffering from Prostrate Cancer. I have had both a biopsy and MRI and on Monday I will find out how far it has progressed. I am informed that it is very curable and, as such, I am trying to not let it prey on my mind too much. It was worrying about this that made me decide to stop spending my time, and resources, on persuing the VWMS stuff.

Thirdly. I also may have Glaucoma. I have had three lots of tests, and I am awaiting appointments for two more. Although it is not cureable it can be controlled with medication.

Fourthly. Depression causes the immune system to malfunction so I suffer a lot from bronchitis. The last lot, in June, took four weeks and three different anti-biotics to cure.

I have the support of a great wife and family as well as lots of friends, like yourselves, who make it so much easier to cope, for which I thank you all.

8. Dave

Thanks Stuart and Andrew for the suggestions which I will probably follow.

ie. Build the EV as best I can using some ideas and parts from the VWMS stuff.

Using the modified front uprights with Passat Bearings, Audi 80 4 x 100mm M12 hubs, CV joints and 256mm brakes is certainly one possibility as I intend to refurbish the front suspension!

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I gave Dave that infection as a present, as a "Thank You" for taking me to Bahrain to marry Miss DaveD. :hug:

He CLEARLY did not appreciate it.:(

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

All the best Dave, hope the news on Monday is as reassuring as possible.

Awesome brake refurb posts BTW. I love it when people mend things rather than chuck them away and buy new, often inferior, ones. :thumbup:

11. Dave

And, I only ever hug and kiss him when we have to part!:cry:

Definitely nothing more as I prefer real girls!;)lol

ps. The wedding was called off as he didn't have enough camels.[8(]

12. Dave

I am sorry to hear about the police visit. I talked to Matt a lot when he had his visit and I know how shocked we both were that such a thing could happen. He's a flipping sad guy to be persecuting two nice people who's only crime appears to have been to disagreed with his draconian rule. His clique must be very dissolutioned people not to see through him. But he is good at manipulating people. I fell for his line for a while but with the help of some nice people on CGTI I eventually saw through the hype.

I hope it's all sorted now and you can stop worrying about his attempt to villify you?

Regards,
    Dave.

13. Dave

What a weird question Dex!

I do have two nice watches. A Seiko automatic driver's watch from the 1970s. Trouble is, it's so heavy that I can only wear it when snorkling. It's great as it helps me get down to the sea bed in salty waters!lol

I also have a simple Citizen 'Eco-Drive' Titanium watch with a Kevlar strap. It is just the opposite as it is uber light. My daughter bought it for me.:thumbup:

Now. I do covet one particular watch. I really would like an early Rolex 'Explorer I'. This, because they are so basic and they don'e have a date cut-out on the face. The other two both have dates and, unlike stupid radios, etc., in cars, you can't just rip them out and bin them.:(

14. Dave

Part of the frustration

I want to fit an oil pressure gauge on the EV and wanted to bid for an old Motometer oil pressure sender on ebay.de. So asked if they would ship to Eire.

To: hardy589
    Subject: Other: d sent a message about ldruckgeber Moto Meter 0-10Bar M10x1k 11.06 03.1008 #141059351337
    Sent Date: 18-Sep-13 09:48:12 BST

Dear hardy589,
    Will you ship to Ireland?
    werden Sie nach Irland versendet?
    Dave

This is the response:

Dear d,
    nein
    - hardy589

"Why not", I ask? I have bought quite a lot from Germany and have always received 100% feedback. Well, I hope he can't sell it!lol

15. Dave

Good news for me but not so good for you lot!

Today I had my post MRI interview at Sligo General Hospital.

All men 40 years of age, or older, must read this, although it is long winded, and probably a load of crap. Jamesa told me to cut down on my verbage so people can understand my points better. But I can't. This is serious business my sons and you must pay attention.

PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE

Ask your doctor for a PSA blood test to check for prostrate cancer if you are male and 40 years of age or over. Catch it before it can spread, and, like me, it WILL be cured. I love all human life except for self-centred Fascists. If you are one of those please - please - please do not read this.

Anyways up.

The good news for me is that I have T1 prostrate cancer, and my prostrate is not enlarged. T1 means that it is small and localised in the prostrate. IE: It has not spread at all! my prostrate is about 30cc in volume, which is super good!

Therapy sounds like fun. Alternatives are

A Radical Prostectomy. Remove the prostrate and a lot more. They remove things which no man, with a gorgeous young wife like Elaine, would ever contemplate. I said no chance, before the doctor had a chance to finish.

External Beam Radiotherapy. This would entail 37, yes 37, continuous days of travelling to Galway, and back, to be battered with radiation for about 5 minutes at a time. The trip to Galway is about a 3.5 hours, each way. Side effects are such that I could not drive myself, and Elaine cannot take time off work to drive me. There is another Radiotherapy Machine in Dublin and I could travel there by train, for free, easily, but Sligo has no links with the Dubs.. No way am I sitting on a bus for 7 hours a day! The only way from Sligo to Galway, since the idiots closed down the West Coast Mainline, is by bus. Would you believe it the plonkers have realised their stupidity and are now trying to re-open it! It will cost about 10 times more to re-open it than they saved by closing it! (Centre Right, Fascist governments always rule in Eire, cos. they are two sides of the same coin, and are no different to the lot now in charge of the UK who, in the past did the same stupid things)

Prostrate Seed Brachytherapy. This is the one I want. They stick radioactive Iodine 125 up one's ar5e and straight into the prostrate. Then it stays there till the day you die! Which will be a lot later if you have it done. They do an operation, they call it a proceedure, under spinal or general anaesthetic. I don't want either! I shall ask them to try a local anaesthetic if they let me have this therapy. I would rather suffer pain than come out of an anaesthetic parallised! But, the #1 guy who does the job selects his patients. Certain criteria have to be met, and, thank Stig B, I meet them. Trouble is, it is his decission and If he does not like me it is 37 days of hell.

The bad news is:

You lot will have to suffer me for a few years yet. Unless I am disappeared with a lifelong ban. The way I am going this could happen.

By the way, believe it or not, I am quite looking forward to the experience. I really am. I have always been excited by new experiences. Just cos. this is a bad one does not change that. I am not at all depressed about it! My meds must be uber good.

I am celabrating tonight and have had a couple of uber expensive Scottish Real Ales. I have also made an uber hot curry. So typos and speeling ore allowed. Laineys keyboard is shot AS WELL.

ps. Lads, please - please- please read this! WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER CUTTING UP UBER HOT PEPPERS BEFORE GOING FOR A PI55. I am sure that the cancer treatment will not be as painful!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    StuMc and TheSecondComing like this.
  16. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Glad it was good news. :)

17. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Awesome news, Dave :)

18. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Nice one Dave, and good luck! :thumbup:

My step dad has had Prostrate cancer and is all clear now. :thumbup:

lol

19. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry, slightly odd sense of humour - bit of a military tradition when a mate is about to go away on Ops - "Nice watch, want me to look after it? Be a shame to have a lovely watch like that get your blood on it"

Seiko Automatic Divers sounds exactly like my kind of thing (I have a couple of Seikos and could quite happily collect many many more...) So I'm gutted to hear how great the prognosis is!

Interesting you mention the Iodine seeds - one of the guys at work has just had exactly the same procedure about a month or so ago. Needless to say we keep ourselves amused with the updates on his "walnut" [:D]

20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Understatement of the year so far. lol