I hate German plates (police content) GRRR UPDATE

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by voteforpedro, Sep 24, 2007.

1. paul_c Forum Member

If you follow the above link, it says you can only have GB country indicated.

2. Admin Guest

the actual plate regs specify ONLY a country identifier, they don't specify it has to be the country of registration.

3. paul_c Forum Member

No they don't, they specify it has to be GB, see Paragraph 16. (2) (a):

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/uksi_20010561_en.pdf

4. Admin Guest

That's plates AFTER 2001 only. This is the problem, the post 2001 plates are the only types that have those particular standards that have to be adhered to.

How many Mk2 golfs do you know made after 2001?

Now you could argue that the plates were made and fitted after 2001, but you'd have to prove that, and if the plate doesnt carry a date and makers name, as per post 2001 regs, thats not going to be possible.

Remember if we take it in context, all versions except the Mk5 could run German style plates legally if fitted before 2001, and they would have even more leeway on pre 97 plates.

5. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Seems pretty clear to me

International distinguishing signs and other material
    16.—(1) No material other than a registration mark may be displayed on a registration plate
    except material complying with the requirements of any of the relevant standards mentioned
    in Schedule 2.
    (2) Where a mark is displayed on a dual purpose plate—
    (a) no material other than the international distinguishing sign of the United Kingdom
    displayed in accordance with the Council Registration may be placed in the space
    provided on the plate for that purpose;
    (b) no part of the international distinguishing sign must encroach beyond the extreme left
    of the registration mark (that is to say the outside edge of the margin prescribed by

6. Admin Guest

Its very clear if you DONT both to read they bit they helpfully put in bold throughout the document. Here is a direct cut and paste:

VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST
    SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)

So basically, that only applies within the above auspices. So NOT relevant to someone who has had alternative plates fitted before this time.

7. paul_c Forum Member

You're right, they'd have to prove the plate was fitted after 2001. This is the daftness of the law! It applies only after a particular timeframe, you can have a looser set of regulations if you fitted the plates before then.

You might want to research when the Euro Style plate design came into existance, though.....

8. Jono_TDI Forum Member

No, a foreign-registered car can only be driven by a foreign driver; and it has to comply with all the laws (and be up-to-date on its tax) in its relevant home country. A UK resident cannot drive a foreign registered car, the basic law is:

Should be at least half of the work force in this country now then!!!

9. CTIM New Member

stopped today for the daft german plate thing, thought i had killed someone for the hassle i got off them. i got a 30 fine , but before they realised they could not pin anything on me they said they would have to take the plates off there and then,as i did not have any other plates with me they would sieze the car. i told the ''pc'' fair enough sieze the car, he seemed to back down once he seen that i was a law abiding citizen (apart from the plates). i have wrote a email to county durham police about the officers gun hoe attitude. well not so much there attitude but how can you take two pc's seriously when they get out of there police car with ''terminator'' style shades on. well after writing a long email telling the police where they are going wrong i better buy some uk number plates.
    colin

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  10. V6 Otto Forum Member

prehaps they were wearing sunglasses to protect their eyes from the sun whilst driving?
    Theres Too many people bleating about these number plates and fines and getting stopped on nearly every vw forum.
    if you havnt got them on your car then you wont become a target simple as that, you cant blame other people for something you have done knowing the law is being broken, even if you dont know the the palte regs? the 30 fine should be an indication and education on the matter!!
    to be fair the plates only look good on foreign registered cars anyway, why the need for all this Airien worship anyway? we won the war after all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

hopefully you used spellchecker. :lol:

12. CTIM New Member

13. V6 Otto Forum Member

whooooooah there fella ^ prehaps you gave them a little attitude as you were miffed at being stopped? so it came back in return? it sounds as though you were already humpy before they stopped you from your first observation you posted, my "war" point was just that! why display a plate with a D on it? were British and despite my love of German refinery i am proud to be British, cant see any point in displaying another nations flag or symbol? it will only be obvious why when you get your car stoned the next time that poor attempt at a football team we have lose to the "hun" anyway:lol:

secondly...........The ONLY reason the police can seize a car from you is if it is stolen/believed stolen, or if its driven by an uninsured/un licenced driver

It CANNOT be seized for a blown bulb a miss represented number plate or anything else!

it can be given a PG9 which prohibits its use if it has at least 2 dangerous defects.

and a nuisance driver can be given a section 59 warning, and if you get 2 of those the car can be seized (the warning stays with the driver NOT the vehicle so changing cars dont work to get around it!)

This info wont make your local policemen bow down and pay homage to you but atleast you are in possesion of correct procedures and whats what, if you get grief from any of them just ask for the stop form or Hort/1 (producer) which will have their number on then you can "Marks and Spencers" complain about them, its the way of the world now, nobody ever complains about road sweepers or train drivers? just police officers mmmmmmmm wonder why:lol:

14. CTIM New Member

15. JAY

Jay Forum Member

The police can and will sieze a vehicle if the driver has no insurance/licence. If the police confiscate the plate, which i have heard of a number of times, the car can not be left with no numberplate on it and therefor removed

16. paul_c Forum Member

I think you're confusing an unlicensed driver with an unlicensed (well, licensed but no number plate displayed) car. Not having a number plate (for an otherwise licensed car) is not a reason to remove a car off the road. VDRN yes, removal no. Also, it hardly qualifies as dangerous or unroadworthy - unlike the unlicensed or uninsured driver.

17. V6 Otto Forum Member

the police cannot seize a number plate thus rendering the car illegal to drive, in fact think about how many cars you see without a front plate anyway!! they can as paul c rightly says give you a VDRS if you accept this? as its voluntary (vehicle defect rectification scheme) if you dont then a non endorsable 30 ticket is your next prize! its so you get a chance to have the defects put right as soon as humanly possible then take it to an MOT centre and they stamp the ticket (at your cost) and you send it back to the police within 7 days, it dont mean you get 7 days to rectify it though!!!!!

18. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I was just about to say exactly the same thing.

If you spell like that in a letter of complaint, nobody will take you seriously.

19. CTIM New Member

sorry if you have a problem with my spelling[:$] ,yes i did use a spell check on the email :clap: ,and the email was took seriously.the police inspector has took all my points on board about the attitude of his officers;)
    colin

20. JAY

Jay Forum Member

taken, not took