i think i broke my car!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by 8valvenut, Jan 20, 2009.

1. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

My car has been running perfect for months now (mk3 8v gti 2e) anyway my brother in law was round mine the other day as i was doing some work on his punto so i thought while i had the tools out i might as well give mine a quick once over so i checked all the fluids etc then i took the plugs out and cleaned em up then i took the dizzy cap off and cleaned the contacts and cleaned the rotor arm put it back together checked all the leads were on and everything was tight.. BUT when i started it, it ticks over really bad the rev counter is up and down all over the place and when i took it out for a drive it almost died completely at one point i didnt think i was gonna get back home it doesnt seem too bad when i put my foot down its just at low revs and tick over its crap now and i wish i had just left it alone [:^(]
    anyone got any ideas please[8(]

ps it was extremely low on petrol at the time

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

put a load more petrol in, checxk everything you checked again as well as anythign around where you were messign about, particularly earth wires to the head, breather pipes etc.

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

You put the leads back on in the right order, didn`t you?...;)

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Knocked a wire off a sensor maybe?

5. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

aint really had a proper check as its been too dark to do much but i got my torch out and took all the crankcase breathers off and cleaned em all with brake cleaner then shot em in the dish washer lol i took the ISV off and washed it out with meths and polished it up while its off..the leads are on the right way as it drives ok when i get up the revs a bit i took the throttle body off too and gave it a good clean out with some carb cleaner its all on the kitchen worktop drying out lol (the mrs is going mental) so tomorrow when i get it put back together i can have a look in day light for broken wires etc.. only trouble is i bust the feckin bung on the top of the rocker cover getting it out and i dont know where to get one and quick, maybe VW? im gonna change the fuel filter too as i think the problem started cos i let the tank run so low i remember about 18months ago i had a similar problem and doing what im doing now worked last time so we'll see [:s]

6. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

now im thinking while its in bits i might recondition my tappets, sorting the tappets is the easy bit (whack em on a bit o wood etc) but whats involved im guessing cam belt off rocker cover off and cam out etc but i could do with a how to on this, is it an easy job? if it means pulling half the head to bits i might just leave it cos i dont have transport for running to my local factors for gaskets etc

7. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

anyone?[:[]

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Just follow the Haynes procedure for cam removal/refitting and you`ll be fine.

The bung on the rocker can be had from GSF for a couple of quid.

Part number; 10463 Breather Bung - cam cover.

:thumbup:

9. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

i think ill leave the tappets alone after studying my haynes manual.. the job itself is easy and straight forward but the manual insists on new gaskets and seals so i think i will just do the ATF trick instead for now. my new bung should be here tomorrow so ill get it all put back together and see if it runs any better

10. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

slightly better but still crap its still ticking over eratic and every so often i loose power more so at low revs i just had my VAG-COM on it and found no faults so im stumped its just not what it used to be.. when it went in for its MOT i asked the guy to have a look at the timing for me but he said the dizzy was stuck so he left it but he did tell me is was around 7degrees out which way i dont know, it seems to be using more fuel too im fed up i want my dub running nice again [:^(]

11. danTbone Forum Member

could be one of the leads tracking. have a look when its dark and engine is running.see if any of the leads are tracking .

12. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

ahhh i didnt think of that one i always seem to overlook the obvious when im trying to rack my brains lol ill have a look tomorrow night when its dark again ill probs wake the neighbours up this time o night :thumbup:

13. danTbone Forum Member

could be temp sender like on mrk2 8v digi.not sure the set up on mrk3s .
    na its not ot late dont need to rev it up .

14. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

im gonna have a quick look now lol

15. danTbone Forum Member

ha ha i would of gone soon as i read it .

16. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

right, at the risk of getting a shock i just been out and had a look i couldnt see any sparks or arcing or anything but i pulled and pushed and prodded and poked the leads and i think i may have a dodgy lead cos when i messing around the engine noise totaly changed to normal rather than the up and down eractic noise i was having i tried the same lead a couple o times and evertime i messed with the same one the engine was ticking over lovely ill try it again tomorrow to be sure but i think im gonna get a new set o leads the ones that are on have done about 12000 miles but they were cheap ones from a local motor factors so ill give it a try and see what happens:)

17. danTbone Forum Member

hope that works
    cheers dan

18. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

thank you for your input,, thats why i paid to be a member as everyone is always very helpfull if it werent for this site i probs would have sold my golf ages ago now, once i get my mk3 tidied up and running nice im gonna be looking for mk2 valver :thumbup:

19. RoyF18 Forum Member

mk3 8v to a mk2 16v
    Good move - you'll never look back :)
    Get someone to take a photo of the grin on your face when you test drive the mk2 :lol:

20. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

ha ha i will do when the time comes, i just wish i had bought a mk2 in the first place now, as much as i like the mk3 its been a good car and i enjoy driving it but theres just something about the mk2 that does it for me, people say im mad for wanting an older car but i dont see it that way as i enjoy working on cars anyway it wont take me long to make a good mk2 my mk3 was a wreck when i bought it and its one of the best cars i have ever owned hence the reason im looking forward to mk2 ownership :thumbup: