Inexperience/Power

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Dubya, Oct 27, 2005.

?

Should there be an age/power limit

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DarrenW Forum Junkie

I know it well :lol:

Also, you get people that follow you stopping you to say "oi mate, your
    brake lights don't work", err... They do, it's just that I
    hardly use them :lol:

2. spaced Forum Member

When you're over 21 you can pass your bike test and hop on a Hayabusa.. Without restrictors :thumbd:

3. Dubya Forum Junkie

What's all this nanny state rubbish about?

There are already any number of laws and restrictions that are in place to protect the populace.

How is one more rule going to turn things into a 'nanny state'?

It would appear that the people who are arguing against this don't actually have a good reason that it is not a good idea, so start talking about something that is utterly irrelevant and total rubbish.

4. markmk3 Forum Member

Ok seeing as the pink elephant costumes or supression by wine cork failed to do the trick of relieving the seriousness of it all...

75bhp, 550bhp, 1000bhp or ages of 17, 21, 35 or 55 means nothing when a 1+ ton lethal weapon hits a person(s) or objects above 40mph. If a human is hit likely death will result above 40mph therefore hit at 45mph, 80mph or 120mph will make little difference other the sad clear up and councilling required for the emergency staff that literally pick up the pieces.

Yes control is easier with less power, though once control is lost it is lost. Technically if you slide it and 'regain' you actually never truely lost control, debate can be lots on this issue.

To make such advances in control of licences / power of vehicles for inexperienced drivers does make sense... though operationally it is an absolute mine field.

Who is more experienced?

the 18 year old having driven 70,000 miles across both rural and urban situations

or

the 30 year old with 3 years experience driving on average 9,000 miles a year to the local train station and local supermarket

who is the more attentive driver?

the 17 year old driving dads Audi RS4 - under the orders scratch it and you'll never see your 18th

or

the 35 year old with a screaming 18month old in the car seat and the 4 year child sticking fingers in the eye of the 18month old.

It is a very very hard issue, variables are massive.

The MOT only judges how the car is at a given time / day. The driving test is the same but not even an annual basis... Where do we start???

5. mothy Forum Member

:clap:to that

6. stew72 Forum Member

With the variables we know.........

7. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Aye, although there is talk to stop that nonsense soon apparently.

What about NZ though? You don't even need insurance to drive a car over there! :clap:

Oh, and for the argument in hand, I think there should be a limit, like we have on the motorcycle tests, but I doubt it'd make much difference...
    Edited by: Tuff Schmitt

8. markmk3 Forum Member

PS - i was one of the fortunate few who started driving at 11, passed straight away at 17 with a 'small amount of road sense' in the eyes of others but relatively (against my peers) good car control. I already had the experience of skid pan, high speed driving, use of ABS to optimise braking in rain/snow/frost simulations on a track, emergency braking swerve - including 60mph avoidance of obstacle. Also quicker reaction times -

Experience is everything - BUT what is experience[:s]...
    years do not = experience
    mileage does not = experience
    track driving does not equate to better road experience
    urban driving does equate to motorway high speed experience
    (and vice versa on that last point)

cooking the same dinner 1million times does not make you an advanced chef... just someone who can cook the same dinner[:D] talking of which I am off home for mine...

9. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

I must add, I'm probably a worse driver now at 26, than I was at 18.
    I flout laws that I didn't back at that age. :)

10. markmk3 Forum Member

Which are what exactly...???

and please do not quote statistics as statistics can prove that 1 does not equal 1

11. markmk3 Forum Member

meant to read "urban driving does NOT equate to motorway high speed experience" [:$]

see 15 years of using a keyboard and mistakes can still happen

12. stew72 Forum Member

OK, we know that inexperienced drivers are most likely to have accidents and yes thats a statisical fact, as much as you don't like them. Therefore that means that all drivers under the age of 20 are likely to be grouped into this catagory whether they like it or not. But this group should include anyone who has only recently passed their test what ver their age, and because of the likelyhood of indecision anyone who qualifies for a bus pass too ;)

13. octane Forum Junkie

i'm 20, i'm a inexperienced driver, i drive like a t**t.
    I haven't crashed YET.
    So where do you put the mark at? i'm 20 with a fast car i will crash one day i'm sure of it.

14. Phil. Forum Junkie

I taught myself to drive at 9 yr old in a RWD converted 1979 Chavette in a field, then in a RWD Starlet after that. My cousin threw me the keys and said Ill be back in a while - learn to drive.

I drove something like 3000 miles in America when I was 16, so by the time I passed my test at 18 (broke my arm and set myself back) I had a bit more experience of the actual mechanics of driving than most. This dosn't necessarily make you a better driver, you still have to develope "road sense" which only comes with experience as said.

I went through my "im Michael Schumacher" stage in a 1.0 Corsa and I can say with confidence I'd prop have killed myself If I had a faster car then. Eg> I used to travel 15 miles over B roads to get to work in Ballyclare and did this as fast as my lil 12volt would go, 80-90 on twisties and bumpy roads. Got a real fright one morning as I crested a hill, on the downslope there was a gate to a feild left wide open accross my lane. I still maintain I would have crashed if the car wasn't lowered and wearing wider rubber, but I most definately would have crashed if I had a faster car at the time.

15. Rallye Forum Junkie

i had a 1600 Mk4 polo as my first car, damn thing scared me to death at first. Went too hot into a corner and bailed half way, slamming the anchors on. [:s] [:$]

16. Sciroccotune Forum Member

NO!! Well at least I would have said that when I was 18!

The thing is, for the odd few that are really into cars/sensible it would not be fair.

At 19 I had a scirocco gt2 and loved it, followed by a storm at 20. I now have a 2L16v corrado at 22. If I was stopped from having these cars I would not have been a happy bunny as I loved each of them. People do have rights after all.

BUT

it could save a lot of idiots driving cavaliers and the like at 60 up and down the high street etc...

I guess its easy to say yes when you know that you will not be affected anymore

17. octane Forum Junkie

Only cavaliers? not golfs? or my vectra?

18. DarrenW Forum Junkie

After two years or so of the 850 lump in my Mini, I dropped a 1275 one
    in... The difference was amazing. I still vividly remember my first
    drive round the block in it, wondering how I'd handle all the power
    :lol:

I still drive a 1275 mini quite often, and it amazes me how slow it is after the Golf :lol:

19. Dubya Forum Junkie

It is also easy to say that 17 is a good age to start driving once you have passed it. A lot of 16 year olds would argue that the age should be lowered, but that wouldn't be sensible.

20. DuBDuDe Forum Member

May have already been said but they restrict motorbikes so why not cars.

Should be restricted to at most a 1.4(obviously non turbo :lol:, sorry no 5 turbo's, G40's etc ) for 2 years or somethign like that.

Bikers get done for 33bhp for 2 years these days so i think a 1.4 is sensible and fair.