Inexperience/Power

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Dubya, Oct 27, 2005.

?

Should there be an age/power limit

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, it never did....but fair point.

2. N1CK Forum Junkie

well its either teach people car control or watch them drive fast anyway with out the proper training, at the end of the day i know which one i would prefer.

3. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

Typo: he likes to try, the car just understeers :lol:

4. Admin Guest

It's all crap,just because you have a powerfull car don't mean you'r going to use the power.

I personally think small engine cars/vans are dangerous.

For instance, I drove a 1.3 from Wales to Cornwall. I had to get off the motorway to go to the services, when i rejoined the M5 i got stuck behind a lorry, I had the chance to pull out to middle lane to overtake and as i did so some car came flying up my back end and had to brake cause i could'nt get up to speed quick enough [8(] now if i was in the scooby there would have been no problem there at all.

2nd instance, in that same 1.3, I was on a 2 lane road and a came up to a tractor, everyone was overtaking when it was safe to do so (country bendy roads) but when it was my turn i knew i didnt have enough power to get passed in enough time so i had to stay behine him untill i came to a round about. Again because i couldnt overtake, a long line of traffic was building up behind me [8(] If i was in the scooby or any other car with better cc for that matter, that wouldnt have been a problem.

So i say leave things as they are, there are plenty of old people out there with 50 years driving under their belt and are probably the worse of any of them.

Edited by: L E W 1 S

5. b'locks Forum Addict

I say it's a good idea up to a certain point.

Should probably limit new drivers to a max of 1.8 petrol (n/a) so it's powerful enough to safely overtake but not excessively powerful so as to encourage irresponsible driving and excessive speeding.

6. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

there are already plans to restrict new drivers based on engine size (radio the other week)
    ...just means there'll be more g40's, r5 turbo's, charade gtti's etc

if i had my 16v when i first passed then i would have used every bit of the power, but as i only had a 1.3, i had less power to use, still didnt stop me endangering my own and others lives in it...

I say leave things as they are. insurance prices are enough of a restriction as it is without anything else!

Infact regarding insurance prices, maybe rich kids should have their pocket money limited...

7. ricey Forum Member

:clap:to markmk3, made all the points that i wanted to but couldnt cos im an ideot

the argument for the legislation is a good one, there are a lot of good points. but you simply cant do it. the 'nanny state' business was taken the wrong way, it wont turn the country that way, its simply another step, another example. im not azrael so dont go all psycho on my ass. its just that im currently living in a country with very few rules compared to britain, and tbh,the uk is far worse for it. the nanny state bllcks referrs to all this 'blame and sueing' culture, strict rules for everything and everyone, the latest of which is id cards and staellite tracking for all cars, its annoying and a little scary, but anyway back to the point.

your punishing everyone for a minority, drivers with confidence issues are amongst the worse, and im soory but these tend to be female. drivers with children the same, but im incredibly sympathetic to them as my dad has a 2 yr old and it can be very difficult. there are so many variables, you cant simgle out inexperience drivers, it simply isnt fair, crashes will always happen, you wont change that. i went from a 1.1 to a 2lt gti when i was 19, i had less 'near misses' in the gti as i had the power and didnt need to floor it all the time.

if this was to be brought in id suggest ignoring age for a start. for the first yearof drving id say limit to a 1.4, then after two, a 1.6 16v then once you have three it should be open to any car, that my opinion anyway

8. WBR

wbr Forum Junkie

as long as they dont do anything right away then im fine :lol: [:D]

9. superden Forum Addict

I`m with you on that one.

I know women who wont drive on a motorway and some who wont even drive at night.

I know of one who makes her husband come out to park the car.

[:[]

This is way off the mark though.

A 17 year old new driver is far more likely (statistically) to be involved in an `own fault` accident.

A 25 year old new driver (as an example) is less likely to drive like a lunatic.

Its just a maturity issue.

MOST young, new drivers consider themselves invincible and the equal of Alain Prost.

There are exceptions yes (cue people giving examples) but in GENERAL this is the case.

:)

Oddly enough its usually younger drivers who argue the case in favour of younger drivers.

:lol:
    Edited by: superden

10. greg s Forum Member

People of every age should be banned from driving until they have 3
    years' experience of driving. Problem solved.

11. stew72 Forum Member

:lol:

12. ricey Forum Member