Injector seats on a KR

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by milesmk2, Sep 10, 2011.

1. milesmk2 Forum Member

Earlier today I put up a thread about injector seals on a KR which the issue is now solved. But i have a new problem.

I dropped my inlet manifold earlier and shattered all 4 ceramic cones on the injector inserts.
    Can i still use the injector inserts on the inlet manifold without the cones being there?

I have taken pics of what they now look like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My friend brought his inlet mani around and he has plastic injector inserts with no ceramic cones as he has the earlier braided hoses, where as mine are the solid lines like from a corrado.

I really need to get the car running tomorrow, and cant get to VW before thursday to order new inserts.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. SimonG Forum Member

You'll find that the 'cones' will help to position the injectors in the correct place spraying fuel at the back of the inlet valve. Without these there is a chance that the injectors will not point completely in the right direction. Sure the car will run, the injectors will probably move around a bit and not feel as secure.

My advice, get some injector seats otherwise, fuel consumption could be affected, poor emissions etc.

3. milesmk2 Forum Member

I see. Unfortunatly I'm all out of funds till friday. I have plenty of cable ties though ;)

4. milesmk2 Forum Member

I stuck them in and tried it, works a treat.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the only reason the cones are there is for the air shrouded injector system, so dont worry about them being missing. just cap off the nipple on the inlet manifold as now it wont be doing much!

ive had it and not on the same kr lump, and it made bugger all difference that I could feel

6. milesmk2 Forum Member

I need your help on something else. My ISV aint working. I did exactly what you said about the black wire to the back of the fuse box and it only buzzes when you put the battery back on the car. Is the control box fubar do you think? I'm on the verge of putting the 8v back into the car as I've had it with k-jet and its only been a week!

7. rubjonny

sometimes the isv does this when buggered, try another one!

do you see 12v to the black wire with ign on

8. milesmk2 Forum Member

I've tried two others and its the same which ever one I use.
    Like I said it only buzzes when the battery is put back on the car, but when you turn the ignition on nothing happens. My friend has a KR in a mk1 and it dosnt have an ISV, there's just a piece of pipe between the plastic one to the airbox and the 5th injector. How does this work?

9. rubjonny

you raise the idle up a bit and put up with a rougher idle when cold!

sounds to me like something isnt right with the control unit or its wiring, can you check the black wire to the unit has 12v, and the brown/white has continuity to ground?

10. milesmk2 Forum Member

I put some pipe in there instead of the ISV earlier and still it wouldn't start.

I'll have to check tomorrow morning that the black is getting a 12v feed. As far as I know it is, I tested it with a bulb tester but I don't have a voltmetre. As for the earth how would you check its getting it?

Also I don't have the two black/white wires to the starter connected, I put a 16v starter on and all it did was smoke and not turn so have put an 8v one on. Would this affect the ISV? Just asking cos the wires to the ISV and the ones not connected to the starter are all black/white.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Re your ISV problem, are all the temp senders on the end of the head connected up properly? One of those is required for the ISV to work... can't remember which one, but you can swap the wires around if you have 3 wires and only 2 senders with spade connectors.

12. milesmk2 Forum Member

They are all on yes, although the two that arnt white/blue are frayed so I'll re-do them and see what happens then.

If that dosnt work what I'll probably do is wait for my mate's mk1 to be back on the road some time next week and have a good look at what he's got cos I know he isn't using an ISV. The idle is a little rough on start up but soon smooths out.

13. rubjonny

put your test light across the black and brown/white pins, switch ign on and if bulb lights up you know the live and earth are both fine :)

repeat test with black wire on the isv itself and battery -ve/chassis and see. if light comes on you know the black wire to isv is all good. the white wire is a pulsed feed from the control unit so dificult to test without a good multimeter.

worth swappign the green/red wire to one of the other 2 sensors on the side of the head, plus make sure the idle switch is working

14. milesmk2 Forum Member

Both the wires to the ISV are black/white.

If i wanted to take the ISV out of the equation altogether would i just remove the valve and wiring fromn the car and put a piece of pipe in its place?

15. milesmk2 Forum Member

Ive got live, no earth though. How do i go about hooking that up?

16. milesmk2 Forum Member

Also the red/black wire is showing power. Why is this?

17. rubjonny

sorry yes one wire should be black/white, but the other wire should be white!
    peel back the rubber boot and strip back the wire wrapping to see if its had some dodgy splice work somewhere along the line.

the earth should run to the side of the head, so look for any loose/damaged black/white wires. or just earth the black/white to the chassis somewhere behind the dash. the red/black is a rev counter feed from the coil, if its shoing 12v then isv controller will never work right! check your coil wiring, maybe you have put the red/black to the coil +ve

18. milesmk2 Forum Member

As far as I can tell the two wires from the ISV are black/white all the way along. When I disconect the control box from the engine loom the earth for the control box is present with and without the ignition on. But when I reconnect it the earth is no longer there and the red/black wire comes on. The wiring to the coil is all fine too. The two red/black and green are on the -ve and the two black/white and black wire are on the +ve.

19. rubjonny

can you disconnect the red/black from the coil, see if it stops the 12v feed?

i cant understand why the earth stops when the unit is plugged in, maybe the control unit is faulty

20. milesmk2 Forum Member

Yep, tried that and it stopped the live feed to the re/black.