Injectors

Discussion in 'Engines' started by veedubnutz, Apr 25, 2004.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You'd only need the scope if you were wanting to go deep into investigating wiring the injectors themselves in series instead of parallel - if you just add a resistor in line with each injector it'll be fine, no scope required!

2. ryanp Forum Member

How much do injectors cost new?
    say some 500cc ones

whats the best, a small injector running a lot of fuel? or a large injector running the same amount of fuel?
    thanks

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Large injectors are troublesome to get to idle well, but a small injector will max out...... cheapest to buy new injectors from the states, from somewhere like Summit or Jegs. They only sell them in sets of 8, but you can always sell the other 4 on for a tidy profit....
    500cc injectors are huge by the way - like 100hp per injector or more at higher fuel pressure....

4. mark25 Forum Junkie

I've always had a "feeling" that series is a bad idea and you've prompted me as to why:clap:
    so here's no 4.

4. If the injectors are series wirred, they have the same current flowing through all of them at any instant, whether each one likes that value of current flow through it, or not. Therefor they are less able to obtain their own optimum opening/hold on current. Put another way, it's hard for an injector to control it's own current through 3 other dynamic current controlling devices. (easier through a passive, current limiting resistor).

Therefor, Mark25 does NOT recommend series wirrng 3 ohm injectors.

EDIT(s): lots of spelling errors (it's early!)
    Edited by: mark25

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

But they're an identical set of injectors, of the same impedance, and they all fire at the same time? So they all "like that value of current flow". Any differences in impedance between injectors would be so tiny as to be not worth bothering about. Don't really understand what you're trying to say. There is a slight query over whether the inductance of the injector windings may possibly affect the opening of injectors further down the line at high RPM.
    I think we're agreed though that ballast resistors are the easiest and best way to go.......

6. mark25 Forum Junkie

that's prob because the ecu will "see" 64 times more inductance (ignoring mutual/self inductance)if they are wired in series. seeinductors in series and inductors in parallel

possibly #5........

EDIT: grammar_lack of
    Edited by: mark25

7. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Bloody hell you two..... :lol:

8. jc.. Forum Member

Mine are grey! What does that mean? And don't start talking about series and parallel...Has someone uprated mine before I bought it..or are they the wrong ones.
    I didn't run this car for long after buying as the clutch was f'd so have no real memory of it's performance.

Would like to know...

9. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

I beleive the colour coding(as far as flows concerned) is relative to the model car they are on. I know the grey g60 injectors have a higher flow rate than the greens. Also depends on the FPR you are using

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Feck off, we like talking about injectors... :lol:

Mark - I wasn't thinking about the ECU seeing more inductance, more about the "delaying" effect it might have on the injectors down the line - the rising edge of the injector pulse being more of a curve than a step, if you see what I mean...... might feasibly prevent an injector opening at all, if the inductance was high enough.

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

G60 engines came with both green and grey injectors - I wouldn't worry about it.

12. mark25 Forum Junkie

WRONG !!! i substituted easy numbers so i could do it in my head but it's not a linear equation so the above is incorrect.

4 off, 16 ohms in parallel(normal/digifant) = 4 ohms
    4 off, 3 ohms in series(cossie's in series) = 12 ohms

therefor 3 times the normal value is seen by the ecu, sorry for the confusion guys.
    Mark

13. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Its all gotten way too confusing :lol:

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Sell the car, buy a scooter..... :lol: :lol:
    Don't worry Mark, I didn't even bother to work out the inductance - good man for coming back and pointing out your own mistake, though! [8D]