Insurance at 19

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by phil21191, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Louie2shoes Forum Member

I've also heard that if you add someone as a 'named' driver it will bring your premium down. I've used these guys in the past with air cooled cars and found them pretty helpful https://www.hertsinsurance.com/. Good luck, my little bro is in the same boat. He's been quoted around 3,000 for a 1l Mk3 Polo!

2. MK-III_Boy Forum Member

i can get you fully comp cover for 1000 regardless of modifications and age

3. phil21191 Forum Member

Quotes are getting cheaper but the car isn't insured yet.

When I spoke to footman james early december they said they couldn't insure me due to the golf being Group 7 they would only insure me on Group 4 or lower

@Mk-III Boy

How can you manage fully comp for 1000, when the best quotes I've had are coming out at 1600-1700

4. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

what about an 850cc mini? just insure 3rd party and build up the no claims?

5. phil21191 Forum Member

I bought the golf last september for 100, body work is good other than a grazed arch on the front and a scratch down the side.

Needed a battery to get her running again and a bit of welding on the battery tray as rust had set in. Just waiting till I can afford the insurance to get her MOT'd and tax'd.

Shouldn't be too long now anyway with my new job at Pipercross

6. phil21191 Forum Member

All sorted now, insured it Footman james for 1300 with club discount. Can't complain at a 300+ saving.

7. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Where do you get that rubbish from? one of the cheapest cars for a learner driver to insure is an S3/S2 landrover (possibly becuse no 17yo can actually afford to put fuel in one!) and the newest of those is now nearly 30 years old. Insurance does not cover mechanical failure so why that would have any bearing on the loadings? The MOT takes care of any mechanical aspects that may cause an accident

The Morris Minor is another one that a 17yo can actually afford to insure, however the 'scene tax' applied to beatles and minis also extends to the insurance

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011