Insurance renewal rant - pretty disgusted tbh

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by theboymike, Dec 1, 2009.

1. theboymike Forum Junkie

Not necc. looking for advice on this one, just felt like venting my frustration a bit.

Got a renewal quote from my current insurers (HIC) a while ago; to the tune of 277. (Stock Mk2 16v, TPFT, 10yrs NCB, 1 SP30, Male, 28yrs old).

Thought this was a bit of a p*ss take given that it was nearer 200 last year, but after finding a worrying amount of other quotes at a ridiculous 500+, I thought I'd take it.

Rang them up to haggle a bit and mention that I'm currently unemployed, and their quote went up "A little bit" (to paraphrase them), to nearly 350 - so they piled on nearly 25% extra simply because I don't have a job. Talk about kicking people when they're down [:x]

I can understand that persitantly unemployed dole scum might be higher risk, but ffs if anything whilst not working I'm lower risk - no commuting to work in the pitch black and ice while half asleep..

Anyway, they were supposed to ring me back today to let me know if they could get it down any further but they havn't bothered.. so IMO they can stick it up their arses as I've just got a quote from Zurich for 284 fully comp - win :thumbup:

Bit of a shame as I've been with HIC for ages and have generally found them to be very good; both on price and service, although it seems like they've started taking the p*ss of late..

2. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Everyone knows insurance is more if you're unemployed, no?

3. theboymike Forum Junkie

And so do I now.. still a bit c*nty though, is it not?

It's not even like I'd be more likely to default on payments since it would be paid in a lump sum..

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

it all works off statistics unfortunately, it's the only way to do it. Why you told them i don't know, but easy to say in hindsight.

I know someone that had a ban 5 years ago, never told an insurance company once and never got stung for ridiculous premiems. Got his licence back today in fact clean as a whistle. Had a couple of claims in that time too.

;)

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

ring back tommorow ...yep got old job back

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

1st i heard of it though having been employed for a very long time i haven't had to know.

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Insurance fraud FTW :thumbup:

[:[]

8. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

insurance has gone up loads, I thought id be fine buying and insuring a 2.2vtec import prelude, turns out even thou in 25 in a few weeks no one would touch me with a bardge pole, in the end HIC sorted me out as they know my car history and know I have owned decent motors, had to pay the same price as I paid for a modded valver 2yrs ago!

9. Devon Dubber

Devon Dubber Forum Member

rip off merchants

They make it up as they go along, I'm sure of it.

Anyone tried Adrian Flux, back with them now after using them a few years ago, they seem pretty good really, especially after some of the other cowboys I've dealt with!

28yrs old, 1990 16v, 3 points, accident (at fault) 4 years ago, 225 fully comp. That is limited to 5000miles though...

Simple fact... if everyone was insured we'd all pay less!

10. leontdi Forum Member

7 years with adrian flux had a crash earlier in year 380 last year , this year 1289 on a 2001 leon tdi 110 full protected no claims .

i expected it to go up abit, but crazy hike like that, bearing in mind im 31 .

11. Devon Dubber

What a head ache..

Did you shop around before you took it?

12. PNG

png Forum Member

Ye, it's a sad fact that in rip-off britain, the poorer you are, the more you pay [8(]

That's outrageous. I read about this sort of thing in the paper -- one guy said it's not worth guaranteeing your NCB anymore because it counts for nothing if you need to claim...

13. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

HIC and adrian flux are the same company really, generaly they will give you the same quote to the penny but HIC have far less paper work to fill in if the car is modified, and you can beg down the phone and get abit more off, I saved 70quid using HIC.

14. paulyDMX Forum Member

I've been with Adrian Flux for 11 years - last year my insurance renewal quote went up by 300. I found a cheaper price which they eventually matched (which they promise to do). Again this year it was loads more than I paid last year.

After a bit of shopping around I got it for 303 with Bell - 160 cheaper than Flux had quoted, so I have now said my goodbyes.

Also when I went to insure my mk2 as a second car on a 3000 mile per year policy, they wanted another 400 from me. Performance Direct did it for around 170!

Flux used to be good for me, but are now terrible. Nothing has changed in my circumstances other than what insurers seem to regard as "good" things like 0 points moving the mrs in and another years NCB.

15. Ezy D

Ezy D Forum Member

Customer loyalty counts for nothing. Always shop around and get a re-quote. Every year my policy from Admiral goes up so I get a new quote of the same type of car off their website and it comes out lower that what they re-quote (to their embarrasement) :thumbup:. Plus I like to play companies off against one another, it always works. If you show you know what the current going rates are and who does what, you always seem to get a good quote (relative to age, car, circumstamnces, etc.).

Don't trust them that's what I say :thumbup:

16. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Haven't the Govt. decided that premiums on "older" cars goes up this year because we don't pay road tax based on emissions?

17. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Some of us pay a good bit more (road tax) than we should if it were based on (CO2) emissions, so I hope you're wrong.

18. leontdi Forum Member

i changed my insurer this year 394 comp and then flux asked why i was leaving .

19. Devon Dubber

Did they not try to price match at all?

20. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Quidco are paying 50 cashback for Zurich

So you could have got it for 234 ;)