Insurance renewal rant - pretty disgusted tbh

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by theboymike, Dec 1, 2009.

1. lard44 Forum Member

Who are that Welsh mob? Brentacre is it? They're usually pretty good.

I change company every year with my daily driver - switched between Direct Line, Elephant, MoreThan and now Admiral in recent years.

My Dubs are all with HIC tho - although I'll be looking with interest at my renewals in the Spring.

2. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Yeah, I'm a named driver on my Mum's yaris.

Unemployed 350 a year for both of us.
    Self-employed, which I sorta am too - 104 a year, fully comp.

CBR insurance is 200 a year self-employed too.

3. theboymike Forum Junkie

Thanks for all the replies; as a brief general response, I've never trusted insurance companies / phone companies / energy companies / anyone else selling a fairly essentially but ultimately boring service, and always shop around and haggle.

To be fair to HIC in the past every renewal quote I've had has beaten the competition without the need to haggle, where as I know most other companies hedge their bets on your laziness and hike the renewal premiums accordingly.

I've been with Adrian Flux before, altohugh wasn't overly impressed and decided to leave them well alone when a friend had a bad experience with them after making a claim.

Thanks for the Quidco tip Gareth - if only I'd known that a few days ago [xx(]

As a brief update HIC eventually got back to me several days after they said they would, but by that time my mind was pretty much made up. Out of courtesy I did give them the chance to better the Zurich quote but they couldn't get close.

Tbh I was a bit irritated by them when I changed my policy over from my old car (1991 Mk2 Gti 16v) to my new one (1989 Mk2 Gti 16v) that they wanted 35 extra. I was resentfully willing to take the 25 "admin charge" hit, but was buggered if I was going to take any more. They did eventually knock it down to 25 though.

I'm somewhat put off Zurich by their reliance on Indian call centres and the lack of agreed value option on old motors, but I'm skint and needs must... hopefully I'll never need to claim anyway.

4. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

I am sick of HIC too and will not use them again, post on another thread as to why. Shysters.

5. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Some expensive prices there, given peoples age and no claims.

My last mk2 valver at age of 22 with all mods declared (3dr, lowered, alloys, exhaust, manifold, performance filter etc) with 1 years no claims only cost me 390 fully comp! Now I'm 24 driving mk3 16v and have 3 years no claims my insurance is 249 fully comp!

6. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

^^^ Thats an amazing price. I'm 36 , 6 yrs no claims & the best I can get is about 400 fully comp.

7. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Admiral multi car policy ftw! - I think we get an additional 20% discount because the wife and I insure both cars on the policy

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

All prices are affected by location where you live, same car, same driver but diff address can mean difference by more then 50%!

I also just had a renewal quote from A.Flux, 100 quid more than last year!

I will shop around before i agree

9. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

WOW I never knew that!

You can be a full time mechanic, employed by CGti group, they don't need to know you don't get paid nothing

10. andynotts77 Forum Member

classic insurnce is the way to go.. I pay 160 fully comp with all the trimmings for my 90 mk2 gti 8v with footman james I am 32 but only have 5 yrs no claims thanks to the girlfriend.... althought there is a mileage restriction..

11. Adam_16v Forum Member

Who is that with? My Golf 16v (no mods) is 375 on a limited mile policy! I'm now 25 with 3 yrs no claims........ I must be looking in the wrong places.

12. rallye1.8t Forum Member

greenlight all the way for me.
    760 fullycomp for 300bhp 20vt golf rallye
    im 24,
    2yrs no claims cos ive been previously on my mums policy.
    and nitrous OXIDE too. now removed due to going over the 300bhp mark. oops.

13. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

I just bought a new MK2 16v, decided to swap my e-reg for an identical h-reg. both 3 door, black, 1.8 16v etc etc...

been with barclays 4 months so far so i figured it would be an admin fee and possibly 20 or 30 to account for the fact its 90 spec not small bumper.

robbing little bast*rds wanted to rob me of 35 admin and 160 because its newer and therefor would be more costly in the event of a claim! [:x] [xx(]

best of it is when I got a quote for each of them via the internet it was only 20 difference not 160 and they still refused to budge!

asked to cancel and for a refund and they want 35 admin, 75 for breaching my 12month contract and will only refund 90 of my premium that I paid up front!

the total I would be paying for 12 months if I coughed up is 280 (original quote) + 160 (extra costs) + 35 admin = 475 (bear in mind 4 months has already lapsed)[:x] [:x] [:x]

so i just got a fresh quote from zurich for 280 and swapped company :thumbup: [:D]....

rant over.... [xxx]

14. craggsy Forum Member

Well my insurance went up 30 from last year.....not bad seeing as it went from 180bhp to 300bhp

15. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Lol I really didn't know that insurance would go up if you've not got a job.
    So, you can't afford to put petrol in to rack up the miles but they kick you in the teeth anyway.
    W4nkers!

16. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

They are a bunch of scammers, when I sorted out Becky's insurance I changed her job description from assembly worker to factory worker (she does light assembly work in a factory so both are true) after a tip from a friend and it reduced her quote by 25% how the hell does that affect her likelihood of claiming????

Be careful of classic policies, some of them will not allow you to drive other cars, or accrue no claims. This won't be a problem for some but it certainly was for me...

17. jamez Forum Member

Totally not revelant,

however my insurance on my golf 1 is 90 euro a year and tax free, however the milage is limited and is registered as a second car for classic insurance. The major difference in the insurance system here is that the car is insured not the driver, so anyone with a full european drivers license is insured to drive the car. Your age, occupation, address, on road or off road parking, club member e.t.c. makes no difference. My insurance is based on a maximum of 75% discount, third party only. Fire theft or fully comp is not available for cars with classic insurance.

18. l-o-m-a-x Forum Member

Herts insurance - Very Rude

I see this thread started with Herts Insurance (HIC)

I have just phoned for a renewal on my mk2 16v track day car (9a 2.0l 16v, lowered stripped out etc etc) - 29yr old, married, full time employed, car value est 800, - they wanted 750 fully comp or 550 Third party fire and thieft...OUTRAGEOUS - it was 350 last year with no no claims (I have over 10+ yrs no claims on my daily BMW)

And to add insult to injury, the guy on the phone was really rude.. I have used HIC for years and would got quotes there again, but feel really annoyed at their customer service and rubbish quote this time...

19. 2.0 MK2 Forum Member

It isn't anything to do with being good for the money - any concerns they had with your ability to pay would be reflected in the interest rate they charge.. IF you chose to pay monthly.

Instead they use the job information to crudely profile you as a driver. Unfortunatley being lumped in with the 'unemployed' won't give you a desirable driver profile.

Think career dole scroungers and you may understand where they are coming from!

e.g. they would typically consider a pilot, or a mechanical engineer to have an excellent driver profile, as they are generally logical and level headed with an active interest in vehicles, or atleast a good understanding of how they work whilst also understanding the importance of servicing the vehicle, mechanical sympathy etc.

It sounds a bit extreme, but some drivers don't have a clue when certain items are on the way out and will happily persist with non existant brake pads squeeling for mercy.

The other thing is, in my experience, they usually only ask for your 'profession' rather than your current employment status... this may only work with certain professions, but i'd have thought you'd still be considered a pilot, or a surgeon, even though you haven't taken to the skies or cut some fool up, for a few weeks.