Insurance to get a car home?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by mk2_oxford, Oct 17, 2007.

1. mk2_oxford Forum Member

[:$] I used to use day insure after buying a car to get it home but now they don't insure cars that are older than 1993. are there any other companies that I can use as I've put a deposit down on a car and can't pick it up yet. I wont be insuring the car properly until next year as the car needs some work and I have a company car to use till then anyway.

2. vw_colourconcept Forum Member

norwich union have 1day insurance. A friend of mine used it on a e30 325 and cost him 15... worth trying them

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Take out a full policy then cancel it under your 14-day cancellation rights once you get the car home.

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

Sorry to hijack but one problem i could come across is:

How do you get a car home insurance wise which has been modified? As most 1 day companies only do newer/standard cars?

Is the only way the 14-day cooling period?

5. mk2_oxford Forum Member

I spoke to my old insurer and said if i decide not to keep the car that can i cancel th insurance, and they said yes but will not get the full amount back and theres a charge.

norwich union is day insure

6. Dan Gliballs Forum Member

Yep, expect to lose up to a hundred quid if you pay for a full policy and then cancel.

7. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

A VERY dubious trick would be to "give" the car to a friend & drive it on your own policy under the "any private motor vehicle not belonging to the insured". Legally the registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner so simply write a reciept saying that friend has bought the car off you & as long as you have his/her permission you are covered.
    The cover would be 3rd party only & you can bet your ass that the insurers wouldn't be too willing to pay put in the event of a claim, although legally I think that would be obliged to do so.

8. AngryBob Forum Member

HIC do short term insurance on modified stuff. I think the minimum period is 2 weeks, but its not bad.

9. AngryBob Forum Member

That only works if the vehicle is also insured by the owner.

10. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Are you sure? Why would it need to be insured twice?

I'm pretty sure that "driving other cars" is only in effect if there is no other insurance policy in force.

11. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

From the ABI (association of british insurers) website

12. AngryBob Forum Member

Yeah I'm 99% sure it needs to be insured by the owner. That link doesnt mention it, but it doesnt deny it either... It does reference "their insurance".. mmmm

Whats to stop you buying a ferrari and a scabby old mini, "giving" the ferrari to you missus and insuring the mini, shoving it in a garage and setting off in the ferrari?
    OK it doesnt include cover for the cost of the ferrari if you bend it or it gets nicked, but your still more of a risk in it.

It may have changed, or been a company thing, but its defo mentioned on my insurance.

13. mothy Forum Member

i just drive them home 3rd party covered with my own fully comp insurance policy, with permission of the owner..

14. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm with Admiral and they have insured me for a month for 28 on 3 occasions, twice in a mk2 8v and once in a mk3 8v. I was happy with that but I do have a proper policy with them also.

15. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

They have to give you the full amount back under the 14 day cooling off period rules - but they might charge you an administration fee. Check what the fee is, it might just be cheaper to take out temp insurance or bring a mate with you to drive it under his "any car" cover.

16. mk2_oxford Forum Member

ive checked and its about 150 to cancel. I've tried quite a few companys now who offer temporary cover, and had the various replies.

Car cannot be older than 1993
    Driver must be over 24 yrs old
    Cannot insure this car as its a group 18 (wtf i cant understand why they classed it as a group 18)

I'm losing faith tbh, i shouldnt have cancelled my previous policy to get back 120. grrrr

17. Dave J Forum Member

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Just bring a mate with you, get him to drive it! It's only not covered under your "driving other cars" extension because it will be your car. If it belongs to you, the mate can drive it 100% legally.

19. vw_colourconcept Forum Member

site looks ok.. iv check it out...27 for 1day cover on my golf...:p

20. G-Man Forum Junkie

With the admin fee i think one firm tried quoting me 70 [:s]

With your current insurance, can you not ask them to provide temp cover on a 2nd car???