Intercooler size? MK2

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Richard Mk2, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Right then. As you may know ive been gathering all the parts needed for the 20v conversion i'll be carrying out throughout the winter...

Now, i was thinking about what size intercooler would be suitable for my AGU.

The spec will be as follows -

* AGU 20v Turbo engine running a new refurbed k03 turbo
    * Stage 1 map by Custom Code
    * 2.5inch exhaust system, and standard airbox.

Will be looking at around 190bhp.

Ive been talking to various people about small or big FMIC's, and was told that the bigger (volume) intercoolers will cause too much turbo lag, as the small k03 will not be able to fill it before it can begin to produce boost?
    Dont want any responce delay!

Ive heard that some people use the G60 one ?

What about the OEM 20v ones ? My Mk4 runs ok with one and thats a heavy car!!

...or should i go for something like this -

[​IMG]

Any info on this would be great. Would like to hear what people are running on there's when running the standard turbo :thumbup:

Also, will the size of the cooler piping matter ?

:thumbup:

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the sprinter intercooler is a nice neat fit

3. Richard Mk2

That would be a good choice come to think of it.

I wonder was size the outlets are on them ?

I wonder if anyone has used the standard 20v one ?

4. drewbar Forum Member

The outlets on my sprinter intercooler are 2.5inch :)

5. Richard Mk2

Been doing some searching and the sprinter one seems common amongst the 20v conversions, so will see whats available out there.

Just had a thought about the standard one. The pipe outlets suit the OEM piping and are side mounted so it wont be any good really!

Are these sprinter ones easy enough to mount ?

Need to get one sorted soon, and the piping.

@ everyone - Feel free to post your engine bay pics, would be good to see some custom pipe work and coolers.

6. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Sprinter i/c will fit directly in front of the standard rad (although you're better off fitting a Corrado VR6 rad.

7. Classy6 Forum Member

I used a universal one off ebay - purely down to the fact I want to mount it low down in the front bumper though instead of the radiator.

I can't comment on much else - because it's not been fitted yet :lol:

8. HidRo Forum Member

There are a few threads around, with intercooler for mk2. If you do a quick search on the forum, you will find a few, with some good info.
    eBay universal one for me as well.

9. Richard Mk2

Cheers for all the replys above ^^^ :thumbup:

Been looking at a few Merc sprinter ones, and they look to have 4 mountings on each corner, which if im correct, look easy to mount :thumbup:

Did you mount your sprinter i/c using mounts attached to the slam panels.

Any pics would be great too :thumbup:

10. Richard Mk2

Also, what size are the outlets on the sprinter cooler ?

11. turbotommy Forum Member

Yes,4 mountings on each corner and 2.5" inlet/outlets
    No "easy but not hard to mount either,some info on my build thread bit i can post up pics if you need them.
    It is a very tight fit mind but its possible without cutting the slam pannel but i moved the rad a little on the drivers side.
    Huge I/Cooler with a good design,would be perfect if it didn't have plastic ends but they are cheap as chips to buy or replace.

12. ben mk2 Forum Member

I used one from a diesel laguna, only 2 inch pipes but it was a tenner so can't really complain! Fits a treat
    [​IMG]

13. drewbar Forum Member

Yeah sprinter is large and a tight fit, I chopped the hell out of my slam panel tbh lol But I also had an oil cooler to fit aswell.

I used to work for Renault and laguna intercooler was an option for me but we used to see them fair and blow up to a rugby ball shape, the one in the above pic is the revised version though with the straps you can see, be interesting to see how it stands up to the boost but at 10 you cant really go that wrong lol

It also depends if your running big or small bumpers to extent as the ease of fitting.

14. ben mk2 Forum Member

Cheers for the info Drewbar! I must admit to feeling like i was committing some sort of crime fitting french parts to my lovely mk2! The plan is to run the engine with a k03s but I have just been offered a k04! The good thing was i didn't have to cut anything to make it fit, I just made up a few brackets for the top then welded some lugs onto the cross member! I'm running big bumpers but haven't got round to checking it all fits. Next plan is to sort my intercooler piping

15. JWYATT Forum Member

Ive tried an evo 8 one and its a good ish fit but not if you want the four lamp grill , so now im looking for a smaller one to mount lower down ,

16. drewbar Forum Member

Oh yeah 4 lamp grill is defo a no go for my sprinter intercooler too lol

17. HidRo Forum Member

I would go Universal eBay :p
    Check around the forum, mine included.
    It fits good, no major tweaks, 4 lamp grill is usable, etc.

18. Richard Mk2

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  19. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Been trying to read this on my phone so appogies if I have missed something, but the sprinters not all its made ouit to be in my view, too large - due to oit being designed for a van that could do a lot of low speed town driving so needs a large area to be effective with low air speed, not something a car will do, also it got 90 end caps, not ideal for flow.

You need to not block air flow through the rad or engine bay either, the more rads you have in the way the less flow to the rear ones.

Don't try and run the engine on the smallest rad you can, tried that on my mk1 caused issues, my mk2 runs a VR6 raddo rad, 2 spal slim fans, one on the back sucking, one on the front blowing, then a ebay intercooler painted black for stealth and heat radiation mounted in the lower bumper vent on a big bumper. You have to remove the towing eye for better clearnce and add 2 mounting tags to the bumper iron, and trim down the back of the bumper skin, but from the outside it looks oe, only thing that will make it a little messier is the fact urs has the inlet on the left where as 225 manifold enters on the right as you look at it, but it should be do able, there is pics of my cooler and bumper iron etc on here somewhere

20. Richard Mk2

I commented on your Mk2 in the members section the other day. Really like the way you have mounted the intercooler :thumbup:

After seeing the Sprinter Ic, they do look too big! I think the ebay one i posted above should be ok ?

I did try to find a BAM / 225 inlet, but they were silly money! So decided to stick with the AGU left side one.

Definitely going to mount the Ic in the lower bumper i think. Will be much better for air flow.

Is yours actually attached to the bumper, or the lower part of the slam panel ?