is my mk1 worth rescuing????

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Gareth83, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

its due to have some welding done before it gets resprayed. the guy said to strip it so he can see whats what before he can price it up.

Anyway I took some pics and wnat to know your opinion of its worth doing [:s]

I've been quoted 6-700 depending on the welding. This is through a very good mate of my dads. Oven job etc.

I knew when I bought it a few years back I should have got stuck in, anyway hers some pics:

[​IMG]
    as you can see, there is alot of rust around here. I have ordered a repair panel for the fine sum of 10 from Hadrians Panels

[​IMG]
    Is it worth grinding out the tailgate or get hold of a new one?? The welder said it's probably rusting outwards so I should get new.

[​IMG]
    Removed the bumper and this is what was around the fixing. :o Can I get a repair plate for this to take to the welder? Or should I just leave it to the welder to weld, and then get the bodyshop to filler and shape etc.??

[​IMG]
    The other side however is in good nick!!

[​IMG]
    Rust starting to creep in around the rear windows

[​IMG]
    Surprisingly this passed the MOT last month, I have a new rear wing ready to be welded

[​IMG]
    Surface rust (I hope) on the door sills

[​IMG]
    Can I get a spare wheel well?? Hadrians panels dont list them. Or just get the dude to weld it up??

[​IMG]
    Rest of the inside in not bad condition

[​IMG]
    What is that sticker thing?? By the way thats not rust you can see its spray marks from where the rear door panels have been schultzed

[​IMG]
    Sunroof, guy says he cant do much bout this except, spray waxoyl down there

[​IMG]
    This area is free from rust, infact the whole engine bay has been schultzed from factory

[​IMG]
    1 of the good things bout the car. The VW number plate!!

[​IMG]
    and the 16v engine.

do you think it's worth getting done??

Edited by: Gareth83

2. Dub Dave Forum Member

Is there a 72v VW yet? W12? :lol:

That looks bad though, is it a GTi?

3. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

yeah it's a Campaign EW chassis. I've had it on the ramps and it's solid underneath, it's just the points mentioned above.

And I'd make jack if I broke it! I've had it for 3 years so don't wanna see it go.

4. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Only bit that would worry me in the sunroof drain holes [:^(]

5. stew72 Forum Member

Not too bad.

Repair sections are available for the filler, rear arches and rear corner.

Go for a good used tailgate, get a silver one then you'll only need the outside spraying.

Get some good rust treatment from somewhere like bilthamber for areas like the sunroof and around the windows. If you clean the areas well first the treatment will work pretty well.

If you do it right and prep it properly then it'll last for years.

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

Didn't seem that bad when I saw it outside the business school around November time!

I reckon if you're going to rescue it, do it proper and full hearted. However are what are your plans when you graduate in terms of keeping the car?

7. damogti Forum Junkie

get a new tailgate and the rest aint too bad. At the end of the day if the welding is good and the bodyshop/sprayer is good them you can get all that sorted properly and you'd never ever know the difference once it was finished.

I'd say go for it tbh, There has got to be far worse out there!!

:)

8. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

to be honest in that pic it does look worse than in real life.

Options options!! [:s]

9. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

The paint on it is fine, it's just round the edges which you'll only notice on closer inspection.

My plans are irrelevant really to be honest, as if I broke it now, with the engine, brakes, windows, stainless sytsem etc. I know I would get 1000. For 6-700 to be spent on it for the bodywork I know I will get a minimum of 2000. So whether I sell or keep it's probably worth my while sorting it.

10. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I've ordered the repair section for the fuel filler @10. I've got the rear arch in my garage from last year when I was gonna get it done.

Tailgate wise, colour isn't a problem as it's gonna be a proper job. I just need to find a decent one!! [:s]

11. stew72 Forum Member

For the spare wheel well I'd find a breaker and cut the front half out and use as a repair section.

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

a few observations......

you engine loks like it may be pushing alot of oil around the airbox...so is it gona last much longer??

the right rear arch pic very much looks like its already got a repair arch thats rusting along the seam!

the sill pic looks like filler bubbling up, and there lots of non standard looking stonechip and paint on it

so..i recon things will be much worse if its taken back to bare metal in the problem areas

id look for a cleaner shell tbh

13. superden Forum Addict

The car passed an MOT with that ?

14. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Thats cos my crankcase breather is vented to atmosphere. (well in my case the wing).

Yeah I see what you mean about maybe looking for a cleaner shell, but that's gonna cost more than what I'm willing to spend.

The guy whos gonna do it is a mate of my dads and I've seen his work, it's A1.

I'd rather not look for a new shell, at least with this one I know it.

New tailgate 40
    Already got the rear wheel arch (The other one was done last year and is still mint)
    Fuel Filler repair 10
    Welding 100-150
    Paint job 5-600
    Scultz underneath 30

So max I would say between 8-850 to bring it up to how I'd like it.

Then new bumpers 70
    Drivers Seat 30

I know the engine is mint as it was fully rebuilt, brakes are excellent, magnex stainless system.

It'd have to be worth 2-2500 once done?? or 1000 if I broke now!

15. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

yep [:$]

but it needed welding on the other side on the sill to pass!!

16. pigbladder Forum Addict

its up to you mate..ive seen cleaner cars than that in scrap yard

17. Admin Guest

DO IT!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

i took mine to bits in 2004

new front panel, wings, bonnet, rear panel all in one hit, i had already got the tailgate done earlier.

fully repsrayed, with a few other things chucked in too [:D]

the only thing i need to sort out is the drain holes on the sun roof like you, damn fcking things [8(]

and i was happy now the engine and interior to sort out now [:$]

but then i love my mk1's [:$] i can't stop rescueing them so to speak, already got plans for the white one, that needs doing too....must finish the silver one :lol:

18. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I know what it's like to be in this situation. The problem is that you're attached to the car. You know full well that there are far better shells out there that can be bought for buttons, but this is the car that you've got and you'd rather save it than give up on it.

My project car is a 1990 MK2 which you would expect to be reasonably solid as 90 spec MK2s tend to be, but sadly it has needed a little welding on the floor in the area where the floor pan meets the bulkhead and jacking area sections. Problem is that even though just about every MK2 that I see in the local scrapyard looks so much better, I still want to save mine! So much so that I paid 50 quid a side for brand new VAG front chassis repair panels (front jacking point areas). I intend to have those fitted when it has a respray. The battery tray was totally rusted to f*ck also but I fitted a VAG replacement myself. That's the thing, really.. if you want to save a car in a state like that, it's good to be able to do some work yourself. Or know a good, cheap welder :lol:

Only concern I have from reading your posts is that you're going on about how much the car will potentially be 'worth' if you decide to either break it now, or restore it. Mate, if you care about getting your money back, I personally would just break it. In the end it'll cost you several times the amount you initially had in mind. But if you want to keep it for many years, do it.

...but a cleaner shell, which might hopefully only cost you a few hundred quid, will end up costing you far, far less in the long run. But how easy is it to find a reasonably clean MK1? I dunno really.
    Edited by: Trev16v

19. roccodan Forum Member

like most people on here you do it cos you love it, if you can afford it why not, youve had it 3 years so you will miss it sssoooo much if you get another shell.dont bother thinking about the re sale valve, its all about the car :p

20. monza 16v Forum Member

My mk1 GTI was very similar to that rust-wise and I scrapped it. Not trying to put you off as it would be sad to see yet another mk1 scrapped. But make sure the shell is worth saving as there are still good ones about if you look hard enough.

Euan.