Is stretch / camber really dangerous for heat?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by richgit, Dec 6, 2007.

1. richgit Forum Junkie

Interesting one this...

I was thinking about it whilst tanking along at 100mph the other day in the mk2... So my rears have stretched 215/40's on a 10'' rim and i put a thin sheet of aluminium between the bottom 2 bolts on the rear beam / stub axle face to give it a little bit of camber. only 1mm thick but just enough to give it a tiny bit of camber rather than ott.

so the inner edges of the rear tyres have the most weight on them, spreading out to the outer edges. Surely the inner edges of the tyres would get a lot hotter than the outer, is this heat difference dangerous? When i got home i went round to the back and lo and behold, the inners are warm-ish and the outers virtually cold. Wasnt really hot, but i can imagine at very high speed it would make a bigger difference.

what are your views?

2. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

my views are that putting 10 inch rims on the back of a front wheel drive car is stupid, stretching tyres is dangerous and should be illegal and wedging bits of aluminium where they shouldnt be is asking for trouble. You did ask.

3. madmonkey Forum Addict

Makes me super-hard though.[l]

Possibly a bit more dangerous tbh. Hell, I don't know.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

sounds pretty daft

5. madmonkey Forum Addict

Mine's got a bit o' +'ve camber on the front and it doesn't appear to make much difference. So go figure.

Seen some daft f*ckers out there with some kind of mish-mash of + and - camber. Probably due to them lumping it onto a curb somewhere.

The Po-po might not like it, but they'll stop you in a nice 'n' loud Mk2 rather some blind old bint in a Micra.

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the camber on the front of the mk3 is actually adjustable, not a case of slotting shims in to make the stub axle wonky

you not planning to get your camber fixed?

7. vrbanana Forum Junkie

You ask if its ok once youve done it? Common sense should tell you stretched tyres are stupid anyway.

Whats wrong didnt anyone on marines know the answer :lol:

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my sis has a boxster and they have a lot of camber. the tyre wear unevenly as a consequence.

difference is, hers isnt like that due to some shims that have been stuffed in and she doesnt have 'stretched' tyres

9. madmonkey Forum Addict

Seems ok at the mo, a little too +'ve ( bottom of the wheel seems further out then the top, whichever that is?) really, but doesn't seem that bad. Felt the temp of the fronts and they feel ok.

I've got a set of 8" wide 17's with 205's on them and they seem fine too.

Just saying, it might not be that bad. Just needs constant monitoring. No abnormal wear etc.

However the 5-0 might get right f*cked off with it. Seem to be getting everyone done recently.

10. jamez Forum Member

I have fitted thin washers on the rear stub axel but on the top bolts to lessen the amount of camber, i reckon its because the rear axel has bent a bit over the last 25 years and with the camber/catstor being not adjustable there is no other option.I have 225-40 14's fitted to 9j widened steel wheels on the rear and there not streached at all.The result is 0.5 deg. neg. witch suits it fine.

I would think that too much rear camber would make the rear a bit light, i found this before i shimmed the axel.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  11. VR6Will Forum Member

i have ALOT of camber on the rear of my mk2....

and no camber shims for me [8D]

12. ihaveajetta Forum Member

pics or it didnt happen[:D]

stretched tyres are the bee knees by the way

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

[​IMG]

you therefore have a bit of negitive which is normal

14. richgit Forum Junkie

lol, because cgti is still much better for technical advice ;)

stretched tyres aside for the moment, i did notice a subtle difference when i shimmed the camber out a bit more -ve on the rears... it did seem to corner tighter on my 15'' rims, im guessing as the face of the tyre was now more central on the road when cornering hard, same with adjusting the camber on the fronts.

I should go and see how the extra camber on the rear has affected the geometry on a laser alignment machine... wonder what the extra 1mm means to the angle...

15. rupe Forum Member

Only 100mph, I'm disappointed in you :thumbd:

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

Is actualy safe to do that?

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I ran this sort of thing for ~ 100k miles, normal sized hacksaw blades. Sounds daft, but in moderation, something proved there...

Tyres heat up on a contact patch - so there's extra pressure there on that area.

And the car may turn in quicker, since you've taken grip away from the rear by removing some contact patch. Can't imagine it's sliding as such tho.

18. richgit Forum Junkie

the thin strip of aluminium i used was slightly thinner than a hacksaw blade. it was about 2cm tall and 6cm long with 2 holes drilled out to sit over the bottom 2 stub axle bolts. just a cheap version of a shim, as i imagined it.

Oh, and i actually did that years ago, its just the alloys ive changed this time... mustve been running those rear 'shims' for at least 3-4 years.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Only reason i questioned it was because i thought the proper shims just covered more surface area thats all.

If i am right adding camber gives you more contact patch on the outside wheel when cornering but less when going in a straight line.

20. Hypermonkey Forum Member

I think you are right Mike.

Hope it shows on these....am running 2.5 deg negative camber...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and on the following lap to show the ricer got owned:lol:

[​IMG]