Is this service list of parts right?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by matt-gti, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the cams will be shiney because of the contact with the tappets.

what about the rest of the metal in there?

2. matt-gti Forum Member

Yeah all looks nice and clean

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if its all clean then leave it

4. matt-gti Forum Member

Suppose.

Just want to everything I can (on a budget ofcourse) to prolong the engines life

5. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

future reference everyone. if you wanna start a debate jsut whisper those 3 little words.....auto transmission fluid :lol: :lol: :lol:

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yeah, hence mine is over 160k, and makes well over standard power lol

7. Seraph Banned

lol!

this is funny, very!:lol:

you're questioning national and international companies about the effectiveness of their products. Wheres your authority to question professional engineering companies?

do you not think that somehow their R&D depts might have done abit of testing, given the hundreds of thousands they spend on research!

Forte sell direct to the trade, so their customers are nobodys fools. A company wouldn't be turning over millions if the product didn't work

a proven professional product is going to have slightly more sway than an back street trick of the trade.

its not a debate afaic, its as cut n dry as black and white.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

look at slick50. large international company. look at castrol's reputation with magnatec. i know a guy that took a selection of 'octane boosters' to an independant lab to test whether they actually did what they promised. only one out of eight did... Millers.

just because they are in pretty packaging on a shelf does not mean theyre any good

9. Seraph Banned

thats kinda valid

but then you have to start looking into methodology, is the lab measuring with the same rule ect ect - many factors to consider.

overall point - the marketed product is a safer bet than a trick of the trade

ps. Forte is a trade product - you'll never see it on a shelf and its has lousy packaging because the trade dont care about that.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i have heard very good things about forte. their injector cleaner is very good i have heard.

when i got the golf i was after an injector cleaner due to its age etc. i looked at a few that were available (including Wynns infact) and they just said add contents to fuel tank.

well the tank in the golf is 45L... the one in my previous audi was larger... they all vary. so it hardly seemed like it was a well considered product if the dilution didnt matter.

so i got millers... 500ml bottle per 40L of unleaded. gives you more confidence and it made the idle less wobbly.

it was the same with the diesel injector cleaners. wynns just said... add the bottle to the tank.

millers came with squeezy aplicator lid thing so that the right amount was added.

not all products are the same/equal due to the fact they made it onto a shelf.

as for tricks of the trade.... ive used the atf trick and ive see how amazingly it works. my brother got a clio with 56k that had never had an oil change in its life. the engine (even the dipstick) was coated with thick black crud. atf cleaned all that off in one sitting (i gave him my 5k old 10w40 semi synth with atf).

so whats your point about tricks of the trade? cos ive see this one work

11. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

that is amazingly blinkered. car makers can dish out crap cars and still make money. look at ecp cheap engine mounts. utter tat but still in circulation... because of people's view that "well its on a shelf so it must be good"

ffs

13. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

ford. vauxhall
    :lol:

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

look how long rover were going for..... but its from a shelf so it must be good

15. Phil. Forum Junkie

Bear in mind Seraph even branded products that are designed for the job at hand carry a warning on the container about the possibility of damage to the engine.

Same with Holts radflush and radweld.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you even get 'big brands' who get cheap nasty products and rebrand them so they can sell them for more...

so yeah, off the shelf is always great ffs

17. matt-gti Forum Member

would it be beneficial to change the leads while im at it?

18. Seraph Banned

agreed

but the original point here, is that a lay person is better off buying a manufactured product rather than rely on a trade trick

as for Windows, and any other product for that matter, there will always be a dissatisfied minority - thats the nature of the beast.

this thread/point isn't about 'shelf life' of products. Tbh, im amazed at how suddenly we have marketing experts in this thread who know everything about the statistical longevity of engineered items! too much lay knowledge here for my liking.

No!!! stop wasting money! lol

If you really are feeling flush, then go for it, throw money at the car. But theres no sense in the course of a regualr service.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  19. Phil. Forum Junkie

Only if the old ones are tired or look worn or if you have a misfire or flatspot you are trying to cure. Plenty of mk2's out there are still on their original leads including mine.

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

maybe new plugs