It has arrived - Aldon Amethyst Mappable Ignition

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Craigcorson, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Further thoughts. If it designed to accept a points signal as its input then it may expect a pulse rather than a square wave. On a points system (sorry if this stating the obvious) the cam the points operate isn't square its rounded. The time the points are closed (dwell) the coil 'charges up'. The spark is caused near the instant the points open.
    I would need to look at the wave with a scope, but it wont be a near square wave (50:50 mark/space or slot/gap) which you will get from hall dizzy.
    Why this should make a difference I don't know. I would expect the Aldon input to be edge triggered and both points and hall systems have +ve and -ve edges?????
    Hope this is of some help.
    If you scan and post the instructions up, I'm sure we will all read them and offer further thoughts, in case you have missed something
    Jon

2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

The instructions are here

Amethyst instructions - Osney Consulting

I noticed the slot to gap ratio in section 3 on that link above in #27 it also looks like the rotor arm points to an air gap and it says the HZK101(CYHME301 is the aftermarket equivalent) is 0 V in air. Perhaps it needs the falling edge software setting.

There's this as well which I missed before.

Appendix E: General trigger requirements in the Amethyst instructions

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

From reading the instructions, this is what I would do.
    1. To test the amethyst;
    connect all wiring except yellow (coil drive -ve) and green. earth green : LED should come on, disconnect earthed green : LED should go off. (simulates points closing, then opening)
    if this doesn't happen, and all other wiring is correct, is the built in immobiliser enabled in software? If so, disable it.
    if still no LED change, unit is faulty.
    2. Connect a DC voltmeter onto the ignition live while performing the above test. (confirms the ignition switched live is capable of providing voltage while supplying current)
    2. Meter on DC amps (leads must be in right holes in the meter, and the meter internal fuse must be intact) and measure the current in the green wire to earth. If its less than 0.003 amps, then the unit won't trigger. (allowing for 2v across the internal diode and a supply of 12v and 560 ohm then a 1 ohm connection to earth should give a nominal 18mA)
    Good luck, if you have done everything correctly, you may have a faulty amethyst box, these things do happen.
    Jon

4. Craigcorson

Craigcorson Forum Member

Have thought about the amethyst being faulty. Tried the map select/immobiliser but nothing.

Car has to be on the trailer tomoro night for its trip to the exhaust man then it's going to get tuned.

Cheers for the support lads but it's back in the drawer for another day. Aldon wanted 300 to fit it. Sounds cheap after all this!

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Post it to me and I will play with it, if you like.
    Pennies for postage. May throw something up.
    Just a thought
    Jon

6. Craigcorson

Craigcorson Forum Member

Sounds like a plan

Pm me your address Jon