It's pretty again after the milkfloat incident :-)

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by Aphex, Sep 12, 2007.

1. cocobay63 Forum Member

Wrote off ? Bad luck dude, hope you get it sorted soon

2. Aphex Forum Junkie

Cheers mate :)

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Mine was wrote off and they paid out 1250, I got to buy it back for 125. I fixed it for 100 and treated it to new suspension, wheels, tyres etc...

I wouldn't argue too much or they might just take it from you.

4. Aphex Forum Junkie

That'd be pretty ideal. It is rediculous how they'll write a car off for #100.00 though.

5. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Any more news?

6. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Crazy isn't it? A bus took the mirror off mine, I got a quote from the VW dealer to fit a new mirror - it was 165ish, the bus company wanted to write the car off for that!!! Gave me 100 in the end, and I went down the scrappy [:D] .

7. Aphex Forum Junkie

Hahaha, you mean you fixed such an integral part of the car such as a wing mirror and didn't get it written off :o

What a joke insurance companies are!

8. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Yeah, its a total deathtrap know dont you know!!!!

:lol:

9. Aphex Forum Junkie

Ok, just rang the insurance company as the rental car people called me to see how it's going. I was told that they are offering 1300.00 and that I can buy the car back for 325.00.

I'm a bit dissapointed really but if they offer me more they still charge 25% for buying the car back so wont' really be getting much more. What do you think..?

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

but all this should highlight the public's misconception over what a write off is.

11. Aphex Forum Junkie

I know it's changed my opinion on write-offs.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my golf, for example, is an oct 95 car.

if (lets just say) it was written off in dec 95, that would mean that THOUSANDS of pounds of damage had occurred to the car and it really wouldnt be a car youd want to own.

i could write if off today by keying a few panels, throwing stones at it etc... cos the value is so much less

remember, your cat c is actually in a catagory that is 'worse' than cat d (in the public's eye)

13. Aphex Forum Junkie

Yeah its a pain.

Whaddya reckon to the offer? I'm not sure, you used to be an insurance man, what happens if I dispute the offer?

14. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

They send the milkfloat round again.......lol

15. Pete Taylor Forum Member

They base the costs one replacing with brand new genuine items, that's how the costs add up and they end up writing the car off. If the price of all the repair work using brand new genuine parts is more than 60% of the cars current market value then they write if off I believe

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

yep, and that's why i can't sell my mk4. people would rather have a car that has a supposedly clear history (but which may have been written off and not recorded) rather then buy mine which was written off because a new 4motion engine costs a fortune!

17. Aphex Forum Junkie

Ok, so after a little while the golf is back fighting fit again, all it's lacking is tax and an mot :lol:

Thanks has to go to G-Pes (near enough single handedly fixed the whole thing) and Matt82 for doing the gearbox.

Ok so here's what happened, hit by a milkfloat and cat c'd [xx(]

[​IMG]

Here's the pes hard at work during the near pitch-blackness (as he has done nearly every weekend since it got hit :lol: ) he brought his own 'comfort' as he can't be out in the dark without it.. lol

[​IMG]

Here's both matt's doing the gearbox, strangely enough this was the least ghey pose they pulled all day :lol: the gearbox was in the very same evening! woo

[​IMG]

Here's matt82 loving the brown coolant a little too much..

[​IMG]

Forward onto this weekend, this is the pes doing some panel beating for the poor little golf. Edit: nice pants

[​IMG]

New wing on, old bonnet off

[​IMG]

Just today matt was getting a bit angry and started giving the car a good kicking lol oh and can you tell I need to back to black the new trim haha

[​IMG]

Ch ch ch ch check it out

[​IMG]

Ah it's pretty again :-D

[​IMG]

Sorry for all the pics but I just wanted to get them all up. So once again thanks to those that helped, also sparrow and gillm for gearbox and mount, after a quick test drive today I REALLY can't wait to start driving it again.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  18. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Excellent stuff, just got to pull your finger out and get it tax's and tested etc :thumbup: :thumbup:

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

whats the speed and turbo like now?

20. Aphex Forum Junkie