I've finally BOUGHT a T4 Transporter :-)

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by PhatVR6, Oct 11, 2008.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Yes, the time has come. I think the S8 has to go. I just don't use it. I'm feeling the need for a van or a camper maybe. T4 looks to be "the one".

Does anyone know much about them? I know you can get a VR6 Caravelle, how cool would that be! or maybe a 2.4 TDI Syncro even?!

I'm going to have to get a trailer and tow the corrado to track events. It's going to be so unpleasant to use on the road, and drag racing tends to be quite harsh and involve breakages. PLus with a van you can carry more tools and stuff, not to mention going down the night before and sleeping in it.

Are they any good or would i be better off with a transit?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. Admin Guest

they are good, but finding a good one for decent money is hard, the good ones get snapped up quick, my mate is looking for one currently, prices are high and the vans are dogs.

3. Dan. Forum Member

Get a t5 2.5tdi 174, good tourqe motor 400+ ft lbs when chipped, could use it if raddo breaks on the strip for a bit of fun.

probably cost afair bit moire than a t4 though.

keep an eye on this site for vans for sale loads of info on there too might help with your search for van: http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

too much, can't afford a t5

5. Admin Guest

top link!

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

they do a VR6 Syncro Caravelle :-)

the search begins...

7. Claypole Forum Junkie

I've looked but wouldn't touch a Transporter of any kind as there's far too much scene tax on them. They mentioned day van or surf bus in the advert and the price goes up 50%...

I'm buggered if I'm paying 5000 for something that's done 200K just because there's a sheet of MDF and some carpet in the back. :thumbup:

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

aye, some crap ones about, prices are all over the place

that's why I'm looking at carvelles. seem to be a lot more civilised inside, but you're not paying daft motorhome prices.

9. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

[​IMG]

This is my mate's T4. I quote "I'm selling the reg plate for 10k - the car comes free"

[:p]

10. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

you need a t4 2.5 tdi face lift easily gain a 155+bhp with nozzles and a cooler with a map from a 88bhp, towing is effortless, cruise control is a blessing for towing too

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

tdi AND fwd? I'm not on tablets you know...

12. Dan. Forum Member

my t5 2.5 130, just for a bit more a tease to try an tempt you, road tax cost 115 for a year;) [:D] between the production years of 2006 and 2007 i believe.

This even covers the caravelles it was set up for the new euro 4 emissons compliant vehicles before it euro 4 came into force officially i think.

thought id let you know of a brucey bonus that saves a bit of money once a year think it works out at about half price road tax on the vans

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  13. Dan. Forum Member

its great fun in wet and slippy conditions ;) realy, just make sure you turn off traction controll that kills engine power to nothing when you try and pull out sharpish :lol:

i got 12,000 miles from my first set of tyres [xx(] next set am getting more miles from them got used to tdi power delivery and how easy wheels spin up

14. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

nah, T5's are way out of my budget

wheelspin. no thanks!

VR6 on LPG i reckon. can't find any vr6 syncro's

15. floaty Forum Member

The 2.5 TDI's are very good vans. Have a looky here.
    http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/
    Here's a pic of mine which is halfway through a "Dayvan" conversion.

[​IMG]

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

ex AA by any chance? seen a few of those for sale which still haev the tool cabinets in them, ideal for a track day workhorse.

17. floaty Forum Member

Yeah ex AA. Got it from the Newport Auctions which is the main auction house for these vans. Came with all the toolboxes, beacons, handwash, double rear seat etc wich can all be sold off to offset the initial cost

18. Dan. Forum Member

they do a 4 motion 130 t5 over her in uk and in europe they do a 174 4 motion too ;)

19. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

yeh fwd, the power delivery is so smooth it hardly spins, mine is fly by wire too not a PD, its quick but i use it for work and towing mate no point wasting tyres since mine has 17`s on, bought with 72000 on the clock done 112000 now in 18mths had a dodgy starter thats it
    , syncro are slow mpg goes up, i almost bought the 100bhp version decided against it because the lack of power mint van tough, half haldex system lock on in the van :clap: , same rear diff as motorsport rallye

20. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

The 5 cylinder 2.5 TDI is a excellent tow vehicle i have one on A6 and its great , in fact it better mpg towing the mk2 than driving the mk2 ! i can get 34mpg average towing but i normally only drive about 60-65 mph

The 2.5 TDI can do silly miles as well , mine has done 276k and still drive very well uses no oil , on original clutch and engines never been apart for anything except service items