I've finally BOUGHT a T4 Transporter :-)

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by PhatVR6, Oct 11, 2008.

1. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I can shed a bit of light on this, having owned 3 T4 vans over the last couple of years.
    Forget about the speed limits, they are the same as cars.
    The road tax situation is this, if it's a van with 2 or 3 seats up front and none in the back, then RFL is 99 for six months. You can put seats in the back and if you don't declare it, then it won't change.
    If it's a kombi van or Caravelle then you will be looking at the new RFL prices, which for the ex-AA vans is going to be 400 a year, but there are some people trying to work out if there's a loophole in that area, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    I have had 2 2.5 TDi 88bhp (non intercooled) T4 vans are they are great, 36mpg average, and great for towing. The 102hp intercooled version is ok, but I think too much fuss is made about the extra power, they are both very torquey engines.
    I have also driven loads of 5 cylinder T5 vans, and the 174 is fast, there's no question of that, but they are not so economical, and early 53 / 04 plated are not the best built vans in the world. Traction on all of them, T4 / T5 is not a problem. I have towed heavy trailers using all the type of vans mentioned in this thread, and have never had a problem.
    Hope this helps, my T4 might be for sale soon if you're still looking.
    The T4 forum is a good place to look around: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/index.php
    Cheers.

2. Jetta Forum Junkie

Paul what about this??

1999 T4 Syncro 2.5TDi LWB Kombi - 7,250
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

102bhp TDi, 178,000miles, 12 months MOT, 3month's tax, Genuine wheel carrier, Aircon, Airbags, Cruise control, Central locking, 4 wheel drive (of course!), Complete full service history, BFG all terrain tyres, Westy towbar, 4 factory seats with belts and middle windows.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
  3. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

#77, Touran was never fitted with the 150, only 105 / 140 and 170 ps units.
    That T4 seems a lot of money for a motor that's going to be 200k in a couple if years time.

4. pettsy Forum Member

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

cheers Mk1jettagti, some good info there.

GTD. seen that syncro already...and it's astronomical price.

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I do that - about 70 for a fri-mon and 30-35 a day

Not worth having your own for 6 weekends a year when you consider insurance, upkeep etc

8. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Phatty you can borrow mine anytime i'm not using it. Did you win the T4 syncro ?
    [​IMG]

9. Admin Guest

oh funky!!

how does it go then?

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Picking it up Tuesday night. Just had a good drive of my mates 1.9 non turbo T4. It was alright, not as slow as i expected it to be, but i was a little dismayed to find it losing speed over not very steep hills at all....mine better not be that slow!

He's even said i can have his tow bar :-)

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Does this mean that the Corrado is going to have an air vent in the front wing, or am I on the wrong track here? [:p]

12. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

No, but it means I still don't own a GWD car (thats Gay Wheel Drive BTW)

13. pettsy Forum Member

Are you going to the end of season trackday in it? i'll probably be going in mine as i have no car on the road at the mo!

14. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

It's got the perfect base colour to do a Gulf theme.

15. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Not sure if i'll have it on the road for the Donington day. I've only done the one day insurance thing (through www.dayinsure.com 23.10) on it to get it home for now. I can't sell the S8 until I have the docs back and the plate taken off it, and that may take some time as I couldn't find the V5....they quote upto 8 weeks....that's into next year...

luke, you're not the first one to mention Gulf colours....it's been on my mind quite a lot...especially with a matching corrado in tow.....:-)

orange bumpers, orange vinyl stripe and Gulf Logo's...easy enough to put back to standard come sale time....

16. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Sounds like a winner to me :thumbup:

Just a little bit of inspiration for ya ;)

[​IMG]

17. Admin Guest

you and orange...:lol:

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

< shrugs! >

19. diamond hell New Member

Well done on holding out for a Syncro - they drive lovely whether on tarmac or loose surfaces. Much nicer than a 2WD T4.

I had a 2.5i Syncro until recently. If the pigtails on the springs break off, or the dampers need replacing you should go for a Seikel lift kit, which includes custom valved Bilstein dampers - despite a slight increase in ride height the kit made my van stick to the road like a limpet.

Don't expect it to be much cop off road though - it's more of an 'extra-service' vehicle than an off-roader, unlike the T25, which is fantastic off road.

20. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I've already been on the seikel website looking at those ;)

well, it's home....but the collection was not without complications....

Go there, had a look around the van, spotted a few bits not happy with as you'd expect from any second hand car off ebay, but it drove well. however, my mate who was following in my car said ti was smoking....so i got out and made him rev it whilst it looked. it was white, not black, stunk of diesel. The guy said he could fix it, but obviously not then....reckoned the timing could have been out on the pump (it's a seperate belt to the the cambelt). But, i'd only insured the van for the day, it was 45 in petrol to get down there, plus food and drnk for my mate for coming...I didn't really want to make a 2nd trip.

So we agreed that he'd knock the VAT off and i'd either sort it myself or take it back and get them to do it.

Filled in the paperwork, only to find out he'd taxed the wrong van!! idiot.....anyway, it went ok on the way home, stopped for fuel as it was bone dry. Had a bit of diffuculty starting it, the guy had mentioned the key can be a bit "tricky"......The 2nd time we stopped was in the services ont he M1...got some grub, jumped back in, no start......to cut a long story short i had to get the AA out to get it going (I had no tools with me). finally got home at 12:30am.....not happy....

I think it's just the ign switch, but that's yet more expense and hassle on top of the belt if that does need doing. I'm tempted to tell him he ain't getting his VAT money....