just refurbed my wheels... opinions? (now on car!!)

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by RIP-MK3, May 3, 2008.

1. gillm

gillm ***** User

i payied 264 for a set last month from camskill defo recommend them

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the same brand fromt he link i just put up??

wasn't in a massive hurry to get tyres on but now I have spent hours doing the wheels really want them on the car!!! shouldn't be spending though off to spain in two weeks

[:$]

3. gillm

gillm ***** User

you link don't work mate . im running 195/50/15's 888's

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

ah its because it was to my shopping basket lol

was that a price match they did? or do they sell 195/50/15 888's for that anyway? would def be happy to get a set for that money

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

think thats what they were without any price match etc

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nice one cheers, might have to get some once I have finished all four wheels

:)

7. mk1steve Forum Member

a few people have said that once they have painted their wheels themselves the wheel bolts sometimes loosen off a little due to the bolt not gripping in the holes properly due to paint on the bolt hole, i believe someones wheel fell off was on here before, it was only said in case it may be an issue.

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

could do without my wheel falling off so will probably just scratch off the paint where the bolt will sit once they are all done. cheers for the heads up

9. Hypermonkey Forum Member

With regards to running lower profiles I run 205/40/17s on my Mk3 and as the track car suffered from a fault last year before the Spring Blast at Combe I had to use the Mk3. When going around the 'S's I heard a sound like the wheel bearing was going due to the extra stress on the wheel...turned out I was catching the lip of the alloy on the tarmac!!
    This was all done with propper inflation and was just that the wall was 'leaning' too much. These where on Conti contact sports as well so not cheap rubber.
    I use 888s on the Mk1...195/50/15s as are cheap enough (for a great tyre) and have never have any probs with them (touches any wood that's around..turns around 3 times etc for luck and to satisfy my OCD tendencies) :lol:

10. mk1steve Forum Member

no problem. all sorts of fun if your wheel comes off [8(]

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

going to go with 205/50 I have decided... need to source another single solitude alloy wheel from some where if any one has one?? I want a full size spare with proper tyre on it

12. Hypermonkey Forum Member

I might have some..I'll have to look. If I have only got a set (4) would you want them...just thinking a set for the track (888s) and a set for the road.
    I've 2 sets and have Toyo Ts1R for the road (softer tyre wall than 888s so more comfort when you have rose joints everywhere;) ) and 888s for the track...saves the expensive 888s from wearing out getting to and from the track or getting punctured...leaves them to be destroyed on track[:D] .
    If you do have a set for the track and one for the road you can get any type of wheel to be a spare:)

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nah just sell me one!!!! lol

I am only ever using the car for trackdays, so tyre wear will only be too and from the track day so won't be hardly anything at all.

I want a matching wheel as a spare with an 888 on it so if i get a puncture on the way or during a track day then im not shafted so to speak

:)

14. Hypermonkey Forum Member

What happens if you go over something that punctures two?? track day over...no refund and no time on track...just a thought as been there and it's not a nice place.
    I'll have a look and see what I've got...have to be later in the week though as not got access to them until Wed/Thurs :)

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

If i get two punctures on a trackday, bad things happen in 3's so rather smashing my car to bits (likely be the third s**t thing to happen!!!) I will just sit and watch lol

yeah no rush when you can

16. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

so got the old tyre's fitted to the wheels just so I have them on the car etc... I'm really pleased with the over all look. Will look better with some new tyre's and also when Im driving it so the discs don't have surface rust [:x]

let me know your thoughts???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. stuey Forum Member

Never been that keen on Solitudes but they look much better like that :)