K jet low top end.

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by mk2 nas, Mar 9, 2017.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cap the car side, the dizzy side can be left open to atmosphere. but yeah im not sure you actually disconnect the pipe on the 1.6? how many vac nipples has it got some have advance and retard, some just advance

2. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

It has two vacuum connections,does that change things!

3. rubjonny

Right I'll try to remember to find the relevant section in the mk1 haynes tonight :thumbup:

4. rubjonny

right dug out the book and for those with advance and retard type dizzy its set to 0 degrees BTDC with both vacuum hoses left on :)

mk2 nas likes this.
  5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Big thanks Rj.ive seen the markers on the flywheel when I did the clutch a few months back.
    The "0" is the one I need isn't it not the diamond groove.
    When looking at the "0" through the gearbox hole with the timing gun in action do I just align timing marker to centre
    Of inspection hole or is there something I should be looking for?:thumbup::o

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

O in centre is TDC. A bit of snowpake helps in the O. Just go for symmetrical
    Jon

mk2 nas likes this.
  7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok,thought as much but thought there may have been a cast marker on g/box inspection hole.
    Thanks.now I can check static timing and ignition timing and hope it's a better set up than present. I've only ever ran it
    By sound and smell set up not ideal but runs reasonable but I know it's never been right.
    Thing is I don't like resorting to garages as I've had bad experiences in the past and prefer to try and do my own stuff as
    Much as poss.:thumbup:

8. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

If its a mile away on ignition timing it will be obvious. Retarded and it will strain to rev at idle, its really pretty obvious. However, checking it at idle is one thing, but you also need to increase revs and check the timing marks vary (ie advance). No advance, no power. Good luck, and let us know
    Jon

9. rubjonny

on the box theres like an arrow cast into the hole, to sere it the plastic bung needs unscrewed :thumbup:

10. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok,I will see that I'm sure, when firing the timing light at the "0" I will move the distributer until "0" is central
    At idle.then after I've set at idle, Rev engine and the "0" will move with it advancing(right:o)
    is that what will happen? Will the "0" marker move away or towards me with more rpm.:thumbup::clap:

11. rubjonny

yup line the tdc mark at idle, that'll put you at the factory timing setting, then you can work from there if you fancy a play.

the mark should move off towards the front of the car when revved, heres a pic of the later gti showing the TDC punch to the right and the 6 degree BTDC advance mark to the left gives you an idea :)
    [​IMG]

mk2 nas likes this.
  12. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks again a great help.looking forward to setting this tomorrow hopefully now I can get it to run better.:clap:

13. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Didn't get to do timing set up today wife had other plans for me:thumbd:
    Power washing just about all the garden think she's having one of her ocd moments.
    But think she's over it now so back in the man cave tomorrowlol
    I've got the info needed for ignition timing.(on here big help)
    Am I right in thinking static timing is...
    Crank pulley mark at 12 o'clock lining up with intermediate shaft(mark)
    & cam pully dot facing front of engine level with metal on belt cover and rim of rocker cover?[:D]

14. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Static timing marks below cam dot&flywheel tdc. at image.jpg image.jpg
    Ignition timing mark is centre of hole at idle then moves away from me with increased rpm.
    Does this sound right.
    Been for a 10 mile run feels better inspected plug burn colour on return and got this do I need richer or is this about right. image.png
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  15. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

looks fine, what's the top end power like?
    Jon

16. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

It's better but if I'm critical maybe still a bit missing at the top.thats why I was asking about plug colour as I
    Thought maybe it needs a little richening tweek to get the last dregs of power.accelerates really good 0-60.
    After 60 not so much but it's come a long way in a week.(maybe that control plunger needs shoving up a bit more)[:D]
    I think I might be changing up the gears too quick being used to 1.8pb mk2.the 1600 eg needs longer in the gears.
    I just feel like I'm thrashing it to get to the top.and maybe giving it too much respect.lol
    I got 90+ today but backed off as it started to feel like it was gonna fall apartlol
    And the wind noise around the hood was like a hurricane so I think I'm happy now.
    Now onto some roof seals, and check my bushes out as I think it's a bit Woolley.:thumbup:

17. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

rolling road shoot out run needed...
    Jon