koni shocks/eibach springs

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by b'locks, Nov 2, 2003.

1. b'locks Forum Addict

once i've saved up the cash (in about 30 years [xx(] ) i'm going to be sorting out my vr's crappy suspension...

i'm probably going for koni adjustable shocks and eibach springs and i've been quoted 630 for the 2 FITTED (that's with the VAT included).

is this a good choice of suspension set up and is that a good quote or a rip off?
    Edited by: b'locks

2. Liam Forum Member

would have thought u could get coilovers for that money.

3. b'locks Forum Addict

yeah i thought it sounded a bit steep.

sorry for my ignorance as i haven't ventured into the suspension side of things before...but how do coilovers differ to shocks and springs??

4. Admin Guest

coilovers com in a complete unit. try here for prices :)
    Venom
    Edited by: Dave

5. AndrewF Forum Addict

you should be able to get the eibach/koni adjustables (rebound is adjustable) setup for around 400, but thats not fitted.

cheap (relatively) coilovers are only worth it if you want to go low, as they have height and rebound adjustment.

unless you spend big money and get coilovers that have both height, bump and rebound adjustment.

i'm gonna go for the koni/eibach's when i can afford it...there top notch...i also wanna dd a set of eibach arb's and poly bushes into the mix.

6. Admin Guest

same here, coilovers are a bit too expensive just now, and the koni/eibach setup is good

7. b'locks Forum Addict

would a koni/eibach setup allow me to lower my car (very important!)

8. Admin Guest

you can get between 30 - 40mm lower i'm sure, but they are set at whatever you buy, non height adjustable only damping

9. edc1 Forum Member

Koni yellows do not use a shortened piston rod so the lowering is done with the springs.

10. VR6Will Forum Member

im running koni top adjustables with eibach springs on my mk2 8v, cost a little over 400 if i remember correctly, fitted myself piece of take a leak to do, i replaced bump stops and top mounts all round at the same time, i personally wouldnt really bother with coilovers unless you want your ride really low, mines 25mm i think im really happy with my setup,
    Edited by: oakgreen88

11. b'locks Forum Addict

[:s]

k i'm confused now. i asked the guy if the konis were adjustable and he said they were

12. b'locks Forum Addict

i couldn't fit them myself, i wouldn't have a clue...

so basically if i could source the gear for 400 then i'm being quoted 230 labour :o

13. VR6Will Forum Member

koni's i have are damping adjustable, not height, coilovers are height adjustable aswell as damping, the springs that you will use on your konis will lower your car

14. VR6Will Forum Member

dont pay that much for fitting :o it really isnt that difficult, you wouldnt even give it a try urself? im sure other places will fit it cheaper than that! but remember to get tracking & chamber setup after!

15. edc1 Forum Member

yellows adjustable for rebound on the car (most models), reds off car adjustable. You can get it fitted and fully aligned for circa 150. It normally works out cheaper to buy an SSK kit if buying yellows cos the individual dampers cost more.
    Edited by: edc1

16. VR6Will Forum Member

150 thats sound more like it, yellows are what mine are! are the reds the new range? anyone got any experience of them?

17. Admin Guest

he means they are damping adjustable, you should try and fit them your self even, with a good socket set, and a couple of hours at most, taking your time. oh and i agree that labour charge of yours is completely a rip off material!

and must say oakgreen88 car looks sweet in the pic!

18. b'locks Forum Addict

so basically i should just buy the shocks and springs myself from the cheapest place i can find and then should only pay about 150 to have them fitted and aligned, etc?

can i just clarify then, what you're saying is that only coilovers can be adjusted once they have been set up on the car and that the koni shocks i've been quoted for can only be adjusted upon initial fitment?

19. b'locks Forum Addict

what's damping?? [:[] [:$]

20. Admin Guest

basically in easy terms, you can set how hard/soft the ride of the car is :)