Lightweight Mk5 GTI with 230bhp on the...

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Deako, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

....way.

According to Bernd Pischetsrieder!! Nice, should debut at the start of 2006!!

Story is in this weeks autoexpress!

2. edc1 Forum Member

You mean lightweight for a mk5 ... maybe it's just one with a chip and no creature comforts, that would save 150 kgs

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yawn, modern cars are heavy. The Mk5 GTI is already being hailed as a fantastic car "feeling lighter than it actually is" apprently.

It will use lightweight body panels, no aircon, no electric windows and other assorted items according to the Autoexpress report and Bernd Pischetsrieder interview.

4. NicD Forum Member

If that's the case i'll order one. Been looking around for a new car for a while and nothings really taken my fancy.

5. edc1 Forum Member

Modern cars are heavier, you can't get away from that, what with NCAP and all that. What I was getting at was how much lighter they were talking and how they would achieve it/what they would chop out/replace. I mean they could say lightweight and give you a base model with a beefy engine.

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Well, it'll be the same chassis and trim. However, lightweight panels, and all the stuff that isnt "necessary" will be taken out. The joy is that they'll probably charge way more for taking everything out too! :)

Oh, and the 230bhp version could also benefit from a larger turbo and remap etc. Should be awesome to drive if they strip a couple of hundred kg off it!

7. drew Forum Member

Could be fun, but will it really happen? Has the 'Golf' got the cachet required for a stripped out racer to sell? It's not a Porsche, after all.

Cheers,

Drew.

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Bernd knows what the enthusiasts want and it looks like he'll deliver! :thumbup:

9. drew Forum Member

Yee--eesss... but. How many 'enthusiasts' will buy one? It will still cost a packet, and most of us are impecunious to say the least.

Great idea for a secondhand car, and very collectable in the future, but who is going to buy it the first time around? Certainly not your average user-chooser repmobile Mk4 GTI owner.

I guess it might work if it's a limited number, say 1000/1500 cars.

Cheers,

Drew.
    Edited by: drew

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I cant really see it being any more expensive than the standard GTI. Its going to have most the toys taken out, then a bit more spent on go faster parts.

11. drew Forum Member

You obviously don't work in marketing! :lol: It will be more expensive, *guaranteed*.

Cheers,

Drew.
    Edited by: drew

12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yea but neither is the Clio Sport Cup.

13. Valver Forum Member

..or Peugeots 106/306 Rallyes...... ;)

14. Rallye Forum Junkie

still think they sould so a lupo with a 2.0 20v NA with circa 200bhp

they already have the engine to do it with.

15. superden Forum Addict

BMW CSL. I say no more.

16. greg s Forum Member

Innit.

17. drew Forum Member

Yes, Clio's and CSLs and 106 Rallyes are cool, but were they a sales success? - that's my point.

Cheers,

Drew.

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

But that has more carbon fiber and technology than NASA posess. Its bound to be way more expensive. The Golf wont be balls out like that i imagine.

19. Higgim Forum Member

I think its a great concept but it does seem to go against the grain of the current VAG marketing plan, i.e Seat would become the sporting brand Audi executive blah blah blah. Don't get me wrong, I think the launch of the new GTI (with all its MK1 bloodline hype) and any subsequent varients is much needed but I just had some post through from Seat, singing the praises of the "Sporty" new Altea. They are going to end up confusing themselves, because at the end of the day, customers preconceptions will always prevail.

20. cforehead Forum Member

Only 500 106 Rallye's were brought to the UK, they all found homes. I reckon it'll work a treat if it's done on a limited run.

But if they make it more powerful, no matter how many electrics they strip out, it WILL be more expensive.

Fordham