Little Red Ryder (hood)

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PhilRyder, Dec 7, 2020.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I have read in some places that people have had issues with bolts snapping. However, the way I see it is that the rear mounts will allow the rear of the engine to lower under load (maybe) but the front mount will hold the front of the engine in place. I can see that due to the rigidity of the front mount and the bolts some flex in the front cross member perhaps but I don’t think the amount of movement is that great so as it to be a concern. We can only try it and see. If it’s no good then swap it back, all reversible.
    Maybe @Toyotec can shed some wisdom?

2. daNpy Forum Member

Well the engine might move less but the forces and vibrations will simply be transferred further on and the next weakest part will crack or break at some point.

If you mount these kind of 100% rigid supports I always advise to check the surroundings regularly for tears, cracks or worse :thumbup:

3. PhilRyder

Right then, finally got around to fitting the new solid mount.
    Initially it didn’t fit quite right so a little trimming was needed. I started by cutting off an angle to make the top fit flush with the bracket, you can see the gap here, about 3 or 4mm at the rear.
    IMG_2612.jpeg
    That wasn’t quite enough so I trimmed a little off the front at the bottom.
    IMG_2617.jpeg
    The two bottom holes lined up lovely but the top one was woefully out. I had clearly measured wrong and I even measured several times. So a new hole was drilled and tapped. The one with the halo is in the wrong place.
    IMG_2620.jpeg
    Now, before you say it, yes the wall is a bit thin and with the forces involved it could bend etc. So I Araldited an M10 bolt into the old hole.
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    Cut the head off and filed smooth.
    IMG_2614.jpeg
    Now it fits lovely. A little bit of rubber to try a prevent any harshness.
    IMG_2616.jpeg
    IMG_2615.jpeg

Test drive. Yes there is a little more vibration noise but it’s not that bad and at speed probably not so noticeable over the noise of exhaust and other engine noises. It also feels as if there is less engine movement at gear change and under acceleration.

Attached Files:

erreesse and afbiker02 like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I'm surprised there wasn't more NVH.

daNpy likes this.
  5. PhilRyder

Me too. I think with a rubber pad underneath as well it will be even better.