manifold for 2l tall block conversion??

Discussion in '8-valve' started by darrren, Jan 23, 2011.

1. darrren Forum Member

Well ive looked into this conversion but cant seem to get an answer to one question. If im using the 2E engine block on my mk2 8v gti for the 2l conversion, will i still be able to fit a 4-2-1 manifold onto it?? I have searched but it doesnt seem like it been mentioned where ive looked,thanks.

2. DJUPLIFT Forum Member

You might have clearance problems as it's 18 or so mm higher your just going to have to fit it and see
    Make sure you use 16v engine mounts to help with engine movement

3. danster Forum Addict

The std mk2 GTI exhaust manifold and twin downpipe will work very well. There is not much if anything to be gained by fitting an after market exhaust manifold.

4. darrren Forum Member

oh right i thought as its a 1991 digifant then it would have a cat convertor from it or am i wrong?? And you recommend using the engine mounts off the mk3 2e block?? Im just trying to put a list together of the main things ill need as ill be rebuilding the block myself.
    At the minute ive got on the list
    1) 2E engine block
    2) 2E dizzy

5. danster Forum Addict

Just fit the mk2 1.8 engine mount to the 2E.
    You will need to change the clutch friction disc to suit the mk2 8v box, as the mk3 2E engine uses the larger splined friction disc like the mk2 16v.

6. darrren Forum Member

would you mind giving me a quick list off the main bits i need?? apart from the block and dizzy, thanks.

7. danster Forum Addict

Is your car running Digifant injection or K jet?

8. darrren Forum Member

digifant mate

9. darrren Forum Member

and what about the powersteering on my 8v,will i still be able to fit it all and have power steering?? or does that all have to be messed about with, im hoping i dont have to mess about with that.

10. nealey Forum Junkie

When me and i.a.n.b converted his to a 2e block we used a raceland manifold for a mk3, we had to reshape the exhaust heatshield on the bulkhead to gain some slight clearance. We then used a mk3 8v decat pipe which we chopped down slightly to mate it to the original 8v exhaust. As the exhaust flexi is then removed we fitted a solid front engine mount to prevent excess engine movement from cracking the manifold.

You can keep the mk2 powersteering setup if you fit the mk2 brackets to the mk3 block, no mods are required

11. darrren Forum Member

do the brackets all fit in the same place?? like isit common sense seeing where they fit? and with regards to the crankcase breather,isit ok just blocking them off with the tsr plates?? It looks quite complicated how ive seen some people plumb it all into the breather. Im ok with a spanner but not a pro.

12. nealey Forum Junkie

The brackets all fit in the same place yes.

We plumbed the breather into the system so I cant answer on what effect it has if you block it off

Have a look here everything is in here when we did the 2e conversion including plumbing the breather in and sorting out the cambelt cover

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  13. darrren Forum Member

How did you find plumbing it up,frustrating or not to bad?? I suppose as long as i get all the stuff i need before hand itll be alright.

14. darrren Forum Member

Right ive been offered a AGG engine for a good price. As far as im aware it a similar swap but the dizzys are different ( dont think you can adjust the one on the AGG), so does the 2E dizzy fit into thet AGG?? and is the AGG just as good for the conversion?

15. nealey Forum Junkie

Breather was easy to plumb in, Brian G on here sells the blanking plates if you want to go that way though.

You can use the AGG as long as you fit the 2e dizzy as you have mentioned. The AGG is just as good, its a slightly newer engine compared to the 2e as well.

16. darrren Forum Member

Oh thats great then. How hard is it putting the 2E dizzy onto the AGG block?? And id also like to add nealey thanks for being patient with all my questions and helping out sombody new on the scence,cant say thanks enough everyones been a great help. Im just trying to get all the info i can as i can only get on the net during weekends due to my job and like i say ive been pm'd about the AGG engine and its at a good price.

17. nealey Forum Junkie

Its a straight swop, the hardest bit will be removing the old one as the can sometimes seize in, plenty of penetrating fluid, some large grips and some force usually budge them though.

You will need to get the ignition timing checked after fitting the dizzy

18. darrren Forum Member

Ill be trying to do all the timing myself using the guide on this site, just take my time and make sure i get everything spot on.

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Use MK3 power steering pump and lines, a more reliable set up on the pump end. Lets you use the lighter and more reliable alt set up aswell.

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

use the mk3 coolant pipe setup if included too, bit neater than the mk2 stuff. just have to cap off the thin hose to top o rad with a bolt threaded into a short length of thin hose. piccys of how i did my breathers, i had to switch the isv to the other hole:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]