Mechanics Gloves

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by seanlazyass, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Collie Forum Junkie

barrier cream,them gloves once full off oil just hold it next to your skin longer,

2. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

i was thinking they will just get caked (girlfriend never took the hint anyway). i suppose you could wear rubber underneath:o

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive got skin peeling off my thumb at the minute prolly due to oil and other car related crud :F

4. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

I got a twin pack of nitrale gloves from Costco.
    They are really good and hard wearing. Fingertip textured so provide great feedback to your fingers.

5. Admin Guest

I do alot of work on my cars and use the latex gloves, they allways rip and in the end get binned off. My hands are then covered in grim.

Well today a bought a new set of mountain bike gloves, becuase my old pair hard holes appareing in the palms. So I have used the old pair whilst working on the car now for two days solid, stripping out a MK2 - they have been brillient - no cut knuckles, clean hands and it's so much easier handling metal and working outside in these temps with a pair of good gloves.

MTB gloves all the way.

6. Matt G Forum Member

i think thats what the "mechanix" ones basically are

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I use the disposable vinyl ones (slightly thicker than latex). I generally put on a pair, catch one on something and rip the right hand, then I stick another one on top of it. The logic is that unless you rip the second one in the same place, between them they last a bit longer before they're full of holes. In winter I always wear 2 pairs for extra insulation. At about 4 pence each, I think it's well worth it.

If you find you're ripping them every 5 minutes, you've probably got the wrong size, or just need to be a bit more careful, but I'd much rather rip a glove than skin. I find I get cut and scratched a lot less wearing them.

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

so the "mechanix" are the ones to get?

9. ryanp Forum Member

I got some 'workwear' gloves from aldi, lasted about 3-4 weeks a pair working everyday as a plumber. they were 1.50 for 3 pairs, sadly i cannot find them anymore!

Ryan

10. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

I got me a pair of these.
    Very tarty, but tough, comfy and last ages.
    [​IMG]

11. mk28vICED Forum Member

waiting for some more mechanix ones i got off ebay! bout 12, need it in this weather!

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

latex ones under mech gloves work well too at keeping you warm

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

finally bought some 13 posted from egay

14. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

have you also noticed they last better than the latex equivelant? :thumbup: shame their twice the price [8(]

if its me I'd say to double up. latex/nitrile under and a cheap work glove over. I use the tight-ish fitting arco workwear ones with yellow gripper bobbles on the palm - they last very very well, are machine washable and cost about 1.50 a pair.... or free from my work :lol:

15. lufbramatt Forum Member

i use a pair of semi-disposable thermal gloves that are meant for people working in industrial freezers, really thin but warm- then a pair of gyno gloves over the top to keep oil/water out. then just replace the gyno gloves when they start ripping.

16. altern8 Forum Junkie

17. altern8 Forum Junkie

18. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

the best gloves without a doubt are 661 cedric gracia`s they`re meant for mountain biking. they`re good for abrasion resistance, good feel and resonably warm.

the best thing about these is the carbon knuckle gaurd and finger padding, no more rapped knuckles and spanner rash from those rusty nuts!:thumbup:

19. Jetta Forum Junkie

I have two pairs of showa thermo grip gloves, one pair I have cut the fingers off at the first knuckle good for fiddly jobs.

Work well keep my fingers warm

20. aaronmk1 Forum Member

a bit late on reply to this thread.. i have 3 pairs of these kinds of gloves.. Got them mechanix ones as above, they're great at first but once they get oily they're horrible.. Got a pair of Puma ones which are just crap and a pair of sparco ones which are by far the best.. The main reason i use em for is work, when a car comes into the bits and needs brakes changed quick i dont fancy burning myself.. but for road cars i find you don't get the feed back you need on certain jobs..

but good for doin driveshafts, gearboxes and clutches.. the 'heavy' jobs i suspose..