Mega Squirt probs

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Tomo IOW, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Tomo IOW Forum Member

aftter getting the car back out of the unit, ive noticed that im still stuck in the warmup cycle.

after 20 mins or so,engine temp is 80 degrees, im still in warmup mode { middle led on }

i had and issue with the earth to coolent temp,so ran a direct earth from the pin to the chassis , this worked and is reading in megatune . i didnt re-connect my o2 senser when i drove out the unit,and only re-connected it month later,could this have pulled the VE tables out,i dont no if the senser is set up to interfer with fueling or not. maybe nothing to do with it but its not running right,

black over rich smoke and misfiring under load, any thoughts guys ???

2. Tomo IOW Forum Member

[​IMG]

photo of display

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Well judging by the 100 degrees F (37.7 degrees C) coolant temp, your megasquirt thinks it still in warmup. Maybe your coolant sensor is kaput?

Gurds

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think you should change settings to read deg C. For s start and then test resistance of sensor.

5. Tomo IOW Forum Member

yeah i still havnt got a clue how to change that back to C,if you could explain that to us in easy format that would be helpfull, so really im looking for the 200 F ,around that mark, i shall check that tommorow, if it is fooked, then il get a new one,but would i have to change the resistances for the new one,cos i dont really understand how to do that as well, lol, good start i know

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

In megatune. Choose file>configurator. Once configurator is open. press plus(+) next to car1.then on the plus next to settings.ini. It should bring up a settings list. Click on CELSIUS and tick the box at the top of the window. then save and return to megatune.

7. emery1990 Forum Member

If the new one is bosch (oem one) then you can set the resistance to the bosch settings so you dont have to calibrate it. ( I've read)

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Tomo IOW, it is unlikey that the cal is out as this was working without any issue last year. That is unless you have been making adjustments. As you have rejigged bits in the car from the rebuild, then I would suggest an open circuit between the coolant temp sensor and the ECU ( broken/missing wire) . Also it would seem your PC is not set up properly from the last time but tshirt2k already told you what you need to check. You can find the values for the MAT and CLT sensor from autodata which I know you have.
    Lambda feedback is not switched on so will cause any alteration to mixture.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  9. Tomo IOW Forum Member

hi mate,havnt touched any settings as i dont know what im doing with that side of things, only bits that i swapped was intercooler and gearbox, . the issue with the ground to clt was cured by running a new earth. there must be as you said a break as reconnecting the old wire doesnt get a reading, cheers tshirt,shall have a go with that, il get a new bosch one,probelry from an abf, twp pin should fit my coolent flange, il let ya know how i get on,

oh toyotec, do you have the last map you did saved at all, could do with a back file if all goes wrong lol

10. Toyotec

I save and double save all cals so you will be fine.

11. Tomo IOW Forum Member

ok so i have got three sensers,one reads 2 c the other reads 82 c when plugged in,this turned off warmup, but the engine was still cold, and the final one didnt get a reading.

so do i know need to take a resistance of the senser when cold and hot then input that reading into megatune ?

12. mk2abf Forum Member

yes you will need to use easy therm write s19 files and replace the std s19 flie iirc !

if you use tuner studio you can just go to sensor calibration and put down gm sensor settings ..... if this helps

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  13. Toyotec

Sorry I did not get that.
    Send me a pm.

14. Tomo IOW Forum Member

sen t email as your box is full lol

15. Toyotec

Crap...will clear.

16. Tomo IOW Forum Member

ok so looking at one of these temps sensers off a 1.6 carb golf 91 2 pin.

its vdo,max temp 125 c. so would that be good to use, i guess i would have to put it in boiling water to get a resistance reading ,then freezer ,then a inbetween resistance reading ?

after all that ,ive looked at the easy therm software ,so id take those readings then input that into the boxs,but what about bias resistor,what is that and what do i put in that box ?

ive also noticed that theres an IAT box,but i dont need to change those readings,so generating a new code in easytherm then uploading it to megasquirt ,would that change my IAT senser and read wrong ?

17. Tomo IOW Forum Member

ok so looking at one of these temps sensers off a 1.6 carb golf 91 2 pin.

its vdo,max temp 125 c. so would that be good to use, i guess i would have to put it in boiling water to get a resistance reading ,then freezer ,then a inbetween resistance reading ?

after all that ,ive looked at the easy therm software ,so id take those readings then input that into the boxs,but what about bias resistor,what is that and what do i put in that box ?

ive also noticed that theres an IAT box,but i dont need to change those readings,so generating a new code in easytherm then uploading it to megasquirt ,would that change my IAT senser and read wrong ?

18. emery1990 Forum Member

When you take 100c, use a saucepan with water in it, then bring it too boil and take it like that ( if you was gunna boil a kettle lol) as the kettle wouldnt be 100c when in a cup.

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Doubt you will get exactly 100C. Take 3 readings. Room temp, In hot water and in fridge/freezer. The bias resistor shouldn't need touching unless it is different like mine (Came supplied with 2590). The IAT will get written too so you may have to do that also, unless you put standard bosch settings in and change CLT only.

20. Toyotec

To avoid re-config issues this is what you need.
    [​IMG]

ABF CLT.

MAT should be fine.

If you are in doubt you can download the 29y4 firmware to the ECU and your original calibration can be resent and burned to the ECU. This will remove any corruption.