Megasquirt Calibration - Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mike_H, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Cheers - that has the same answer as the one I found on the net... consistent probably means right. 200 cc/min at 3 bar gives 230cc/min at 4 bar.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

On that engine you will be fine once the fuel pump is up to it, which we know should be ok.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

B*gger, new TPS needs an adjustment as it's too tight to the throttle spindle, and means it's not closing consistently. One more job to sort out before I can start mapping properly.

4. bens_cab Forum Junkie

ive noticed that the realtime display can be flakey at best mine goes from 0 to 100% whilst driving but if you sit without load and increase the revs it will climb albeit very flakey:thumbup:

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

So, I've just about got it idling now, but still having issues with hot starting. My base idle pulse width is about 2ms, and hot start cranking is about 3.2. I'm on 10 deg fixed advance - same as idle.

What sort of pulse widths are other folks running, compared to idle, to hot start.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Still having a problem, despite splitting the wiring to the injectors. The car runs fine for about 10 minutes then conks out, after running a bit rougher, then coughing to a halt. The plugs are bone dry when I check them.

I'm starting to think I've got fuel starvation, possibly due to good old fashioned s h i t in the tank... and there was me thinking I had a high tech ECU problem :lol:.

Anyway, I'll pop the inspection cover on the tank this evening, and have at it with an array of high technology implements such as old speaker magnets and kiddy fishing nets, if there's any muck to get out. I'll drain the fuel out of the tank with the lift pump (bought a spare in case that's dying) and mop up any rusty dirt that's left.

I've been running without much fuel in the tank, so I could have exaggerated a problem that was always there (Sciroccos have filler neck rust issues, similar to Mk1 golfs, and mine was a little bit rusty when I first got the car.) I haven't really got time to drop the back axle off, take the tank out and clean it, so bodge it and scarper will be the first approach to try.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Think I've solved it... new lift pump (although the old one still seems to work) and a fresh tank of fuel (rather than a gallon at a time). There was a little bit of muck in the tank, but only bits here and there. It ran for 20 minutes round town without dying on me. Time to try some proper mapping tomorrow - at bloomin last!

8. thegave Forum Member

9. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Hi,

I just got the car started after finishing the MS conversion but i have one problem.The needle of the barometer gauge in tunerstudio does not move. I tried sucking through the vaccuum hose that goes to the MS but still does not move.I also tried selecting all the sensor types in tunerstudio but still the same.It is stuck at about 100kPa. Am i missing anything? The car is n/a.

Cheers

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Are you sure you're looking at the right gauge? I'm not using tuner studio, but in Megatune it's called Engine Map. Are you sure you're not looking at a gauge for barometric correction?

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Much progress made on the mapping front today. Lots of pinking issues at first, then I decided my wideband lambda meter is probably not reading accurately. Definitely making progress (it's almost as quick as it was on KJet now :lol: but it's in the hands of the maestro tomorrow, so I'm sure further gains will be had.

Still got some low RPM/high load pinking, but getting better, lots of wheelspin in 2nd now (on R888s)

12. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Yes mike its the barometer gauge which shows the map sensor reading..

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

This is wrong. Change barometer gauge for engine map gauge.

14. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Sorry Mike you were right.stupid mistake ;p

Thanks Mike and tshirt2k

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

No worries - we're all learning as we go along.

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

So hows it running Mike all sorted ready for The Ring? the new aero 'bubble-free' roof should help :lol:

17. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Yep that's true :thumbup::)

Ok now i have another problem.The engine map gauge is not responding.When offline it reads 49.2 and when idling the same and when i give it some rpms it does not respond.. What is going on? Also what type is the MS's map sensor? In my settings i use the custom one which is the same as the first MP.... on the list

Any advice would be greatfull

Cheers

18. bens_cab Forum Junkie

what ms do you have standard map sensor is the mpx4250 set this if you still get a crap reading then you must have a vac leak

19. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

MS 2 extra V3.57

Thanks for the input Ben. I don't think there is a vaccuum leak.Does it matter that the vaccuum for the map is before the throttle body? (ie on the filter side of the throttle body, NOT on the inlet manifold side)

20. bens_cab Forum Junkie

do you not have any vac outlets on the bottom of the inlet you can use?