Megasquirt Conversion Gallery

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Brookster, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Think an MS Photo Gallery is in order chaps :thumbup:

get you pix posted.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. Ess Three Forum Member

This is the best I can do picture wise:

1 x Plug & Play MS for ABF:

[​IMG]

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

1 x Plug & Play MS for ABF:

Well made little package. Quite surprised when I took it out the box.
    The ECU encloseure, is that from a driver/SPi engine?

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Folks... there's lots of interesting discussion on this thread, but I'm wondering if we should split it into two?

- One for Nige P's build, which I expect will come well documented and very helpful to others.
    - Another for the rest of the ABF Megasquirt chat / MS Photo Gallery, which is growing to the point where it deserves its own thread I think.

5. Ess Three Forum Member

It sure is...
    Grabbed any old ECU from the local scrappy to get the short case...but the ECU plug is actually a de-soldered VR6 ECU connector I seem to recall - same connections as an ABF ECU but with no Vacuum connection.

I think the connector that belonged to the case was only a two row connector - but I think it was from a SPI engine, as you suspect.

6. Ess Three Forum Member

Sounds like a good idea Mike.
    Keeps the info but without diluting Nige's original thread.

7. Toyotec

I agree.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Please post pictures and info on your megasquirt conversions in here. Also, if you've got a whole documented build, please start your own thread.

From a selfish personal point of view, if you've got info on how to get the ECU and computer ready to start tuning, I'd be really interested in that.

If we get lots of useful info in here, we'll turn it into a sticky.

9. Ess Three Forum Member

Is there anywhere on the site that can be used to store information?

I guess someone building a MS and following someone on here's exact same configuration, would need a base file/map to get them going.

I know I'd be happy for anyone to take a copy of my vex file and use it to get them going, tweaking it from there.

If we had somewhere to upload them to, we could store them here?

10. bens_cab Forum Junkie

seperate megasquirt section is required how many votes does it take lol
    as for getting the ecu and computer ready for tuning its a bit hit and miss unless you have a laptop with serial port

11. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

good idea. Obviously each map will need setting up for the specific car, but its got to be easier if you have an approximate map to get it running initially !

I have webspace that I got free with from my internet provider. Obviously, if I ever leave, that will go, but i`d happily store them.

Surely CLUB GTi has some space on their server where they could be stored ?

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I'm have trouble getting stable resistance readings for my my IAT and CLT sensors. Would be good to have working readings to use in easy therm etc or as said a base map for this and for the wheel decoder etc as all the ABF's have the same kit.

13. CA121 Forum Member

i will be getting megasquirt when i finally get my chassis done.

would be good if someone could copy a map for an abf on bike boddies to get me started aswell.;)

14. Toyotec

Now what I would say here is that you use these settings at your own risk.
    Mapping is best left to a profressional and is an art that not everyone is blessed with. I would not be responsible for you blowing up your custom engine if you do not understand what is occuring from a combustion point of view and just want to copy and paste settings.

They are Bosch NTC sensors and are pre loaded in Easytherm if R4 and 7 do not correct to expected readings. (Japanese NTC sensors are the same as well)
    Another test that can be done and uploaded to Easytherm, if you are not happy with sensor readings is to make a chart with resistance vs temp by submerging the sensor in hot or cold water with a thermometer and ohmeter.

For ABF and 1.8T wheel decoder settings with 60deg crank angle advance max, are trigger A 5 return 14, trigger B 35 and return 45.

I do not like to give out base maps as they take time to make and contain a signiture specific to me. None of my cals were copy and pasted. They are all made from scratch.

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Thats fair enough, but these "professional" started somewhere. And you shouldn't assume people aren't capable of learning how. I wasn't thinking of mapping it myself (aint got the time or equipment), but like to understand whats happening rather than just let someone get on with it and not have a clue what was done.
    It comes form having a technical/engineering background.
    I didn't know whether the sensor settings are custom or generic. Or whether it needed doing before or at the time of mapping.

Also i have been measuring the temp/resistances using hot water, the fridge, room temp etc but it seems that the resistance changes so quickly. The temperatures doesn't staty constant enough. Maybe my meter is too accurate and has alot of decimal places. Or could be the infra-red thermometer. Not sure how accurate it all need to be. I'm used working to small tolerances. MS may not??

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  16. Toyotec

Yep the Professionals may have had a a few years of calibrating engines from carbs and breaker points and know how temparamental engines are so give out engine control calibration settings. You don't get Dave Walker posting out Emarald settings do you? And his base maps for debugging far from ideal just enough to limp to the dyno.
    Being reasonably intelligent I would hope that everyone has sufficient intelligence to understand that what I said in the top post is a disclaimer before using those settings that have been physically checked on various aftermentioned VW engines and verified on vehicle.

Regarding the temp sensor settings you do not need them to be accurate to start the engine. But it would be better to start the temperature corrections with correlation to ambients.
    Wheel settings have been verified on crank with stripped down engine. Tooth 14 is TDC on Cylinder 1 and 4 and tooth 45 for 2 and 3. The other setting gives a 60 deg range of advance. Same method required for any other engine or you can use a little Excel marco. Best way is to dertmine on engine.

What I can do for CGTi is to expand on the ABF into MK2 thread into a high level document for how to Megasquirt using MS1 ver3 based on my experience with these engines.

I can do that in a while with pictures and give pointers how to get the engine started.

17. Toyotec

The startings of the MS how to thread added here