Megasquirt help needed

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by bens_cab, Jul 13, 2006.

1. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

Ben,

Just had a look at the MSq file you left on the MSEFI website last week, how similar is this to what you are running now. I think some of your problems may be caused by the fact that your target afr table is incorrect. Also, on the EGO control screen try switching ECO correction step counter to Ign Pulses rather than mSec, i found this to be more stable. I also found with 029q software that EGO correction would only work properly if I was running TPS based aceleration enrichment. If you get the same issue try switching across to this rather than MAP based as is on that MSq file.

If you have a newer MSq and datalog id be more than happy to look at it. your spark table seems more than sensible enough to get the car going well.

There is also no reason why you cant look at the lambda values when the engine is cold. The wideband sensors have special heater control circuitary so can give you a reliable AFR value when the engine is cold.

2. bens_cab Forum Junkie

hmm

as-techick whats yur email adress ill send you my lastest msq and datalog if thats ok

3. bens_cab Forum Junkie

hmm

tried wat as tecknik said

i can confirm that as soon as it starts to get lumpy its the spark plugs that are causing the missfires ece ect

took em out and within 5mins they were black again

so defo getting to much fuel on startup also its a ***** to start

on the tps wizard what numbers do i need in there??

4. bens_cab Forum Junkie

tps

right i think ive pinpointed the problems thanks to your help guys

tps

tps configurator closed throttle count 34
    wot count 218

so it does work

in real time it goes from 0 to 100 ok no problem there

in accelleration wizard it hardly moves up the scale ive adjust it slightly but makes it run even worse now the cars really lump and miss firing

ive read the ms setup notes which mean nothing to me so now ive found the problem how do i get round it my settings as follows

tps dot thrshold 0.977 decel fuel 75% cold enrichment 5.0 cold accel multi 140%

bins are 7.7=2.2
    5.1=1.7
    3.9=1.1
    0.2=1.0

any ideas what these should be

5. Cerberii Forum Member

I don't think you should be worrying about acceleration fuel enrichment at all at this stage. I still have it turned off on my car and have been driving it for over a year!!

*typo*

6. bens_cab Forum Junkie

hmm

how do you turn it off??

7. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i would like to get it setup so everythink is working ok that way i should have more control over tunning its a real ***** at moment keeps flooding the plugs which causes really crap idle plus it wont drive under load just missfires and holds back all the time

8. Cerberii Forum Member

erm good question. IIRC you can just set the TPSdot threshold to a high enough value so that when you blip the throttle quickly it does not activate the accel enrichment. You can see when accel enrichment is active in the logs and on the Megatune main window.

I think accel enrichment is one of the last things you are supposed to tune. I have had a couple of plays with it but never got it perfect and I find the car drives better with it off than badly set up.

9. bens_cab Forum Junkie

hmm

i can drive the car but its like driving a kangeroo it jumps stutters pops and bang just for good measure

and it lumpy on idle if i thought i could drive it with autotune to see if that helped i would but i dont want to kill the engine i need to sort out the idle first and go from there

it just seems to want to flood all the time clean plugs will last 5 minutes before there black
    and thats with an afr of 14 to 15 so somewhere in the settings its dumoing extra fuel in even on idle

10. Cerberii Forum Member

Are you using a wideband o2 sensor? Are you sure it is working?

What do you mean there is an AFR of 14 to 15? Logic dictates that if it is stoich then you are not getting too much fuel in but your plugs disagree with that? So either the o2 sensor is not working or not set up right or something else is causing the soot on the plugs (don't know what that would be). Are you trying to run closed loop AFR control?

Have you tried tuning the idle as the MegaManual suggests? just setting it for lowest stable MAP reading I think? If you turn off all the features that are not required for running you will limit the range of possible causes as well. So turn off accel decel enrichments etc.

11. bens_cab Forum Junkie

the wideband is definately reading right just did a test and mt is reading the same as logworks

turned of gamma e on both channels ego step size to 0 switched to mapdot accel enrchments

its ticking over lovely between 14 and 15 afr one thing did cross my mind could i be getting heatsoak as it seems to run lovely in the evening ????

still have the issue with driving it but that could just be down to the ve table being all over the place

using 2 squirts sim i was using 4 squirts alternating as thta was the only way it would run before

12. bens_cab Forum Junkie

afr

i did have it set to closed loop ive unset it as warm up only its double dutch to me i bet if you looked at my msq you would see a problem straight away is there a way of loading it onto here?

13. bens_cab Forum Junkie

just found another fault which isnt going to help did 2 datalogs the one from cold shows the coolant temp rise as it should but it goes to 101.7 and stays there all the way through the data log the next log was from warm 101.7 all the way then a bit in the middle where it goes down a bit i know my gauge in mt has read 102 at times???

14. Cerberii Forum Member

The coolant temperature makes no difference after the warm up enrichments stop as far as I know. I think the default shut off for this is around 70 degrees C on the CTS. So as long as the temp reading climbs from cold and the engine heats up ok you should be fine. (the way my sensor reads I only get about 3 temp steps between 0c and 70c)

15. Cerberii Forum Member

If your VE map is well off then driving on closed loop will make it feel like a dog. Best to leave closed loop AFR till the VE map is within about 10% or less of being right.

16. Cerberii Forum Member

I am not familiar with the Innovate wbo2 kit. The techedge setup has a calibration procedure for the sensor. I think you can check the sensor in fresh air for calibration but you need to remove it from the exhaust. Again I don't know how that kit works but the fact that the readings in MT and the kits software agree only indicates that they are reading the same data and interpreting it in the same way. If the car is idleing at an indicated 14-15 AFR and yet sooting up the plugs I think the sensor reading must be wrong or something else.

17. Cerberii Forum Member

You say you "swithced to mapdot accel enrichments"? I am not sure what you mean by this.

Quote from the MegaBible (Manual)
    "To get the VE table set up, set the delta-TPS setting very high (30v/s or something like that) so that TPS enrich/enlean never kicks in."

18. Cerberii Forum Member

If it starts, warms up and ticks over ok then you are on the right track. Chin up!

19. bens_cab Forum Junkie

cheers

cheers cerberii

yeah it will tick over ok but im unable to rev cleanly it will start to bog down and generaly hold back once past that it seems rev ok untill i put load on it then it will realy run like pooh its hard to describe its like a cylinder isnt firing under load it missfires and hesitates all the way to 3000 rpm and thats being really gentle with the throttle im wondering now i have the idle ok weather a gentle drive around the block then use megalog viewer to adjust the ve a bit and see what that does could the plugs be sooting up because it had been running so rich

i would have thought that any soot in the chamber would have burned away quite quickly

on the accel enrichments you have mapdot and tpsdot if i switch to tpsdot the car get realy lumpy which is why im using mapdot although the mapdot table has been zero,d

the tpsdot doesnt seem to move very far yet i know the tps is working ok weird

20. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

ben check your PM

Tim