Megasquirt is in!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by martyn_16v, Jan 1, 2005.

1. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Sounds like a monster. I keep being tempted by a turbo, I have a look through the fabrication forum on vortex every now and then but i'm still a long way off being able to do it myself yet[:$]

What ignition module did you use? The standard TCI-h module in my valver looks just like the Bosch unit, but it's marked up as a Telefunken unit so i'm not sure if it'll do dwell control by itself. And i'm too scared to try the very beta dwell control code in extra yet :lol:

2. mk1turbo16v New Member

I used the standard mk1 ign module and fed the hall sensor with 5v from the megasquirt, no probs so far. There is a list on vortex of the modules that work, I think yours will be ok.

Steve.

3. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Yeah I did look through the list, mine isn't anywhere on it. I imagine it's just a cheap generic replacement for the Bosch module. I might as well try it, the worst that can happen is half an hour down the scrappy finding another.

4. barny Forum Member

Well done mart ! [:D]

5. Joe_G Forum Member

Would there be any disadvantages from using an ABF inlet manifold and fuel rail on a 9A?? Is there a throttle pot on the standard ABF throttle body?

Just thinking if you could find an ABF set up then it might be a cheaper route.

I'm thinking the usual bonnet clearance issues would be avoided seeing the 9A is 17mm shorter???

Joe

6. prof Forum Addict

ABF inlet etc would be fine, best on a 2.0 tho

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

8. buzzby Forum Member

martyn have you got the system up and running yet?

If so how much better is it than the standard ECU and good power gains?

9. barny Forum Member

:hug: Hello! Any more news ?

10. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Hello :hug::lol:

Been on hols for the last week so no progress. I'm also waiting for my wideband lambda kit to turn up from Down Under, the O2 probe i've got at the mo seems to be a bit f**ked so i'm having to tune with very little feedback - not much better than guesswork.

I'll let you know how I get on when I do make some progress...

11. altern8 Forum Junkie

must of done some more by now :)

12. buzzby Forum Member

why did u order a wide band o2 sensor from down under surley u can get them in UK

13. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

You'd think so wouldn't you? :lol: A combination of work and girlfriend have slowed things down a lot this week.

The WBO2 turned up earlier this week, it's now assembled and working after a couple of hiccups (processor wasn't flashed properly, needed an emergency recover flash). I'm just waiting for a spare hour or two to install it in the car.
    WBO2 kit bought in UK - 300+, WBO2 from Oz - 110 :)

I've also flashed the Megasquirt with the MS'n'S-Extra firmware, so now I have 12x12 fuel maps and 8x8 wideband AFR target tables to play with (along with a whole raft of extra goodies i'm not using yet).
    Edited by: martyn_16v

14. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

Out of interest martyn, where did you take your input trigger from,,,,the coil negative or from the 16v tach signal??

15. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I've taken it directly off the hall sender. I don't think you can take it from the coil -ve if you plan to control spark as well, the ECU would be using it's own output as a reference - the advance would probably just ramp straight up to max and stay there.

16. AS-TECHNiK Forum Member

Yeah that would be some serious negative feedback id imagine, its going to have to be edis for me, having some 36-1's lazer cut as we speak

17. barny Forum Member

bump ? :)

18. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Progress has been stalled somewhat by the car being a rusty heap of shite and being condemned by the MOT man :lol: On the plus side, it sailed through on emissions. Before the MOT I'd just started doing a few full throttle runs to tune the fun bits. Even on a rough initial tune it was pulling well, although to be fair it has been a while since I last gave it some stick so it's difficult to compare to before. Driveability is good as well, it's pretty responsive even with all the throttle enrichments turned off for tuning. It also starts from cold and idles better than my digipants 8v ;) And it sounds mental :lol:

I have bought a new home for the engine, I just need to work out a couple of details in moving it from a CE1 16v car to a CE2 8v and then find the time to actually do it. This also seems like a good time to hand spark control over to MS as well.
    Edited by: martyn_16v

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Just digging this up up for some ideas, megasquirting the 16vg60, it`ll either drive great or I`ll melt the engine :lol:

20. Leinad78 New Member

is anyone using a knock sensor? maybe the original one?