Megasquirt is in!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by martyn_16v, Jan 1, 2005.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Trev, I don`t think there are many advantages using EDIS, a few people on MSEFI said it wasn`t worth the hastle. The main thing is not having a mechanical spark distributer, but it`s not a real disadvantage to a car that`ll only rev to 7.5k..

Martyn, are you on EDIS?

2. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Not on EDIS yet, but want to have a looky. I've got all the parts here bar the toothed wheel. I'm driving the TCI unit and dizzy, it's a piece of wee to install and setup, all you need is a 7-pin connector for the TCI switch and then there's 6 wires to run and it's installed.

The main advantage to EDIS is the toothed crank wheel, it potentially provides far more timing accuracy than the dizzy wheel can, 36 points of reference in a crank roation are always better than two, so the ECU should be able to pick up changes in engine speed faster. I get a couple of degrees timing scatter currently, due mostly to a worn dizzy drive and possibly to some extent the cam moving in relation to the crank ever so slightly if the cam belt flexes at all. A wasted spark setup should in theory have more reliable coils, as each one is only having to discharge every other ignition event, half as much as a single coil does (say that to 1.8T owners and their coilpacks though :lol: ).

The disadvantages of EDIS are that it appears to have a built in rev limit in the EDIS module itself, and you can't drop sparks using it so are limited in terms of the rev limiter/launch control/flat shifting functions. We are also in the nice position of having everything on the car ready to use MS'n'S, so EDIS installation is more hassle than using the dizzy/TCI. However...

MS'S-Extra now has support to interface to the toothed wheel and drive wasted spark coilpacks without the EDIS module to do it for you. This means that sparks can now be dropped, and the rev limit is imposed by the MS processors capability to decode the wheel at speed, which is somewhere around 12000rpm. Give it another month for the code to become a bit more field-tested and stable, and this looks like a very good alternative :)

3. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Oh, the toothed wheel support should also be able to use the 60-2 wheel built in to the ABF/2E/vr6 etc, which is handy :)

4. Cerberii Forum Member

Thought of another major megasquirt advantage!

Let martyn_16v and keithmac do the trickier bits (spark / boost) then steal their numbers! [:D]

When are you getting yours set up on the rollers martyn_16v? [:$]

Looking forward to seeing numbers for MS. (especially if it gets 177 WHP) :lol:

5. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I want to get my head/cams and itb's fitted before I go for a proper mapping session, don't really see the point in spending a couple of hours on the rollers only to feck it all up by changing bits straight after. But at the rate I work at that could be ages [8(] :lol:

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

You can steal my numbers, but they`d probably be wrong by next week :lol: Quite a few people decoding the 60-2 wheels now with VR sensors, although they seem to use conditioning circuits which seems to add to the complications imho? (and things to go wrong...)

May try MS on sparks though the TCI, but don`t fancy melting a piston due to my uselessness [:$]

7. barny Forum Member

nudge ;)

8. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

9. mk1-Gaz Forum Member

Hello, have a question kind ofrelavent to this thread.

I have also been looking at a 16v setup on megasquirt (not got any further than reading at the moment)and am considering both plenum and ITB setups.

Whatim not sure about isgoing from one to other, as a lot of people are planning on.

Im guessing people using plenum set ups are running speed density? but doesnt the speed density setup struggle when you move over to ITB? i thought ITB gave a poor map signal. or will you move to alphaN then?or are you using a combination?

also, the standard 16v ignition modulerequiresa vacuum signal for load. do you think i would have problems with this vacuum if i tried running megasquirt for fuel only on throttle bodies and ran standard ignition? what do people do when they run sidedraughts on a 16v? they must have the same problem

Thanks,

Gareth

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

You can run Alpha-n or Blended Alpha-n (bit of SD thrown in!). Best be would be to go spark as well, just run a base map to start with, not to adventurous with the advance and go from there.

Even if you really don`t think you`ll go spark as well, while your building the loom add the wiring anyway, makes it a lot simpler later on, I found out the hard way [:$].

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You should really have your RR plots from Stealth up on this thread Martyn ;)

12. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Someone who has them on his PC should really email them to me, as I don't have a working scanner ;)

13. GVK

Save me changing to 800x600 screen res and faffing about with screen grabs etc, can use these plots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can I nick the section of your torque plot between 3-4 k? :lol: It would make mine drive better on the road :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

14. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

But I like that bit :lol:

15. GVK

We picked one of the hottest days of the summer for that RR day, I know the figures are all compensated for ambient temp and baro pressure, but the heat does effect the car, it goes a lot better this time of year. :lol:
    Edited by: GVK