Mk 5 GTI feedback for VW Driver mag?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by NBirkitt, Nov 26, 2004.

1. NBirkitt Forum Member

OK, so youve all read about the new GTI in EVO,
    Autocar, AutoExpress, Volkswagen Driver etc, and
    seen the coverage on TV what are the general
    reactions to the new Mk 5 GTI from the members of
    Club GTI?

I like to run some grass-roots feedback in the next
    issue, and would like to hear from you all, whether
    you like it, or not...!

Write as much or as little as you want and either post
    it up here, or e-mail me over the weekend. So long
    as I get it by Monday Nov 29 pm, it could make the
    next issue of Volkswagen Driver mag.

cheers

Neil.Birkitt@autometrix.co.uk

Editor, Volkswagen Driver mag + Club GTI member

2. NBirkitt Forum Member

PS Forgot to mention.

Everyone whose letter is published will receive a free
    copy of the mag, so dont forget to include your full
    name and postal address

cheers

3. NBirkitt Forum Member

Anyone.....?

4. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

[:D]

I think it looks really good and captures the essence of the Mk1 GTI, but in a new car It finally looks like VW have captured the 'Hot Hatch' market back.

(Now let me drive one - i can give a car a REAL test for you) ;)

Craig Dooley
    37 Heaton Terrace
    Porthill
    Newcastle
    Staffs
    ST5 8PA

5. superden Forum Addict

Its a step in the right direction after the slightly dull recent offerings. Initial impressions seem good and the road tests are all favourable so lets hope it can live up to the hype. It seems to have captured the GTI charm but time will tell if its the modern Mk1.

Its just a shame its so damn expensive [:x]

PM me for my address.

I`m not putting it here [:|] :lol:
    Edited by: superden

6. FinMk3 Forum Member

Well, judging by the road test reports, VW have at last come up with a car, perhaps, most worthy of the GTI badge , since the Mk2. I'm not saying Mk3 and 4 GTI's aren't any good, I cant really, as I've driven niether, I'm going purely on a personal opinion of desirability here. My Mk3 is an 1800 Driver and I love it but it's nowhere near as entertaining a drive as the '87 Mk2 GTI I used to own. I love Golfs, all Golfs, but when I see a nice Mk1 or Mk2 GTI, they make me smile and wish I had one, they just have that "look", I cant explain it, they just look the part. The overall package was something special and the Mk3, although a lovely car, just didn't quite have it for me and the Mk4 even less so. I think VW made them look too ordinary. Even shod with steel wheels the older GTI's seemed to have an impressive and aggressive stance and in photographs anyway, the Mk5 seems to have captured this. The reported handling, a strong feature on the Mk1 and 2, seems also very good. The fact that they've put red trim on the grille and styled the interior fabrics like the Mk1 check pattern suggests that VW realise how special the original car was and are trying to re-capture it's magic. I hope they succeed. I wish I could test it for myself.

PM me for address if you want. :)
    Edited by: FinMk3

7. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Seems like a very good car and I like the look.
    Just don't think a GTI should have a turbo, it's a shame the interior is a step back from the mk4 and it's stonkingly expensive for a car that won't do a lot more than a Cupra R, CTR or Mini Cooper S Works.
    Don't appreciate the smug marketing either - All R32 owners have been mailed to "allow" us the honour of ordering one before it's released and without a test drive.
    I don't think so.
    After the mk3 and mk4 Gti being generally a bit disappointing, I think VW should watch their step very carefully. They had to nick a Ford engineer to sort the suspension after all!
    Roll on the R32/36/40 whatever!

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

Some points you might want to consider mate:

R32 cost 22000+ and has 240 bhp and 4 wheel drive and a 0-60 dash of 6.4 secs

New GTI Cost 19995+ and has 200bhp, two wheeel drive with a well sorted chassis and a 0-60 dash of 7.2 secs or 6.9secs for the DSG.

Now having owned an R32, I would have to say that I would drop it like a stone if i could afford a New GTI. The GTI offers comparible performance and yet fuel economy is doubled, it also has been said that it handles as well, if not better, than the R32!

Add to that the Niche marketing, individual styling and retro aura, then i have to say the New GTI is a fantastic car. Its a car that will form a new chapter in VW's history, just like the MK1 did in its day. At last VW has listened to the punters and built a car to DRIVE. The GTI is back to its roots and no longer just a "Trim" level.

And if you think its expensive, think again. The car pictured below, my MK3 GTI Anniversary 16v cost a whopping 17500 back in 1997! So I think 19995 with enough safety kit to gain maximum rating in NCAP crash testing, is a bloody bargain! Plus the RenaultSport Megane 225 is 19500 and its not half as good as the Golf!

9. ValverPaul Forum Member

E-mail sent Neil!! ;)

10. LLOYD Forum Member

i havent driven one so i cant possible comment or compare to a r32 but i will say that it looks absolutly stunning especialy in white which is a colour very few cars can do well. pm for address

11. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Yes, I think the white one looks good too - harking back to the Mk1s again.

I've driven the Mk5 2L FSI and that's quite impressive. Add to that the turbo and all the other GTI goodies, and I think the new GTI will be awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on one for a test drive. :)

12. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Rob - Of course I, and 95% of R32 owners disagree but then we would I suppose.
    You only need 4WD if you really push a car but I'm not going back to FWD now.
    I don't like small turbo engines (apart from the legendary ones like Quattro, F40, 911 Turbo, etc), and it's going to be as common as muck.
    I do however still like it very much indeed.
    On the price, I've seen NO comments saying the GTI is good value and plenty saying the R32 is "a bargain" as it's pitched at a different market (S3, WRX, etc, not Cupra R, MCS Works, etc).
    Not getting into an R32 discussion though as it always goes pear shaped.
    For reference, my '97 80k mk3 GTI 16v fetched 2250 in p/x [8(] [:^(]
    Still like it a lot though - How's yours?

13. Admin Guest

picked up the broucher yesterday from the garage, don't see how it really harks back to the mk1 in the that?

but it does look good!

and how come the DSG version is faster yet heavier and more economical on the old gogo juice? [:s]

14. superden Forum Addict

Surely thats down to smoother gearchanges and better gear selection ?

15. Admin Guest

that must be a good system as it is a bit heavier but knocks a few 0.'s of a second of 0-60's and the mpg is much better.

16. krytie Forum Member

pinched from one of drews old posts...

hope that helps :lol:

17. Grayham8v Forum Member

Why don't they put some phat BBS splits on.

That would improve it loads

18. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

The Mk5 GTI looks like one of very few new cars that I would consider owning, quite a suprise as I have never had a car newer than a Mk2 so far and had no intention to until I saw some pictures/reviews of it.

I drove the Mk5 TDI for a few days recently as a hire car in Germany when visiting Wolfsburg and I must say I was really impressed. Looking forward to test driving the Mk5 and may look at one as a lease car from work... will still keep the Mk2 16v in the garage though... :)

I agree that it does look good in white and the DSG 'box sounds fantastic, proof is in the pudding/driving though so looking forward to booking a test drive. I think VW marketing and design people might have actually started listening to VW enthusiasts with this car rather than the watered down GTI attempts in recent years.

I hope it's as good as the reviews from EVO, Autoexpress, VW Motoring etc make it sound! [:D]

(PM for address please :) )

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

But Matt. Your car is a 2wd car until it really needs to use the rear ones on very slippy roads and surfaces. And even then its not true 4wd as its all based on "torque biasing" isnt it? (Or something like that) It only applies a small percentage of power to certain wheels that need more grip.

The Mk5 GTI is leaps and bounds ahead of the R32. I'll be in a position to buy one within 2 years i hope! [:D]
    Edited by: Deako

20. Rahul Forum Junkie

nbirkitt, you only ever come on here to promote stuff or sell magazines.

I think the new mk5 looks like a barge.