Mk 5 GTI feedback for VW Driver mag?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by NBirkitt, Nov 26, 2004.

1. zoid Forum Member

I've heard a light weight version is in the pipe-line, anyone also heard that rumour?

2. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Deako - So you've driven both then?
    Or have you just read a few mags and made your mind up from third hand info?
    I use the 4WD in mine all the time in the dry too- It's fantastic, especially in the wet. If you don't use it, your not driving it properly.
    Just another yawnsome excuse to have a pop at the R32.
    Quick gang, all jump in and have a go too...

Cabriorags - I like the honest approach!

3. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Look guys and girls, I know my "style" is total pain in the a*se and I've looked back at previous posts of mine and cringed and I do NOT think the R32 is the best car in the World (just the best car for ME) but some of you have to admit that you really do give it an unfair pasting after it was so well received by the press and owners.
    Almost any opportunity to slate it is grabbed - I'm sure it's just to wind me up (I've noticed that others who have posted on the subject get much more positive responses).
    Back to the subject in hand - I like the new GTI but HAVE NOT DRIVEN IT so cannot comment, but think it's very pricey, only FWD and will become very popular, mostly because it good rather than flogging the old GTI marketing horse to death.

4. Carl S Forum Member

Just got the new GTI brochure through the post last night, looks very nice and grown up. Haven't had a chance to look to see if there's a 5 door available but if there is It would certainly tempt me for our next family car.
    There is still something about the Mk5 looks I can't put my finger on, almost like its a bit "tubby"

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Bullpoo! You know how much i like the R32 from my previous posts often supporting you. But you always hark on about how "great it is".

Fact is, its not a GTI and never will be, so stop mentioning it every chance you get. You only come here to gloat about the R32, and in general wind owners of older Golfs up, which you have admitted on UKMkIVs forum.
    Edited by: Deako

6. NBirkitt Forum Member

Just to prove CabrioRags wrong, a FREE excerpt
    from the latest issue of Volkswagen Driver

The GTI press launch also gave us the chance to
    talk to the Volkswagen engineers and marketing
    men about a rumour which has been circulation in
    the popular press here in the UK. It has been
    reported in at least one of the weeklies, and
    repeated elsewhere, that there are plans to produce
    a light-weight version of the GTI with increased
    power. Its a fanciful notion, but not entirely logical,
    given that the tuning companies will soon be selling
    ECU upgrades to add 20-30 PS. But, according to all
    those we spoke to, there are no such plans. Indeed,
    the more you think about it, its doubtful whether
    Volkswagen could ever go down the Porsche route
    and sell a CS version of the GTI with more power
    and less weight, at a higher price. It continually
    amazes me, though, that Volkswagen has not yet
    offered an official performance upgrade which
    comes with proper warranty cover. Maybe that would
    be the answer for anyone who wants more than 200
    PS from their brand-new GTI.

7. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Deako - Now that last post is fair enough.
    Hands up in surrender, I was and always will be chuffed about the car and wanted to share my enthusiasm with others (or maybe even "show off" as you suggest after three years "abuse" for having a mk3 16V).
    Only thing in my defence is that I have never slated any other VW - I like them all, even the Santana (sort of :lol: ) and have owned all marks except number 5.
    New GTI looks good but the label has been so overused in the last ten years that I actually find it very hard to define what a proper GTI actually is.
    Does a proper VW fan just stick to the "old" ones or does he/she keep buying newer VWs? Who knows but SOMEONE has to buy new cars or the old/second hand market would be a bit thin on the ground. Doesn't mean "WE" are wrong.
    Grand Tourer Injection? Errrrrmmmm...

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

I owned an R32 for anumber of monthsd and wouldnt slate it one bit. Its a great car. However, I have also driven the MK5 2.0 FSI and the MK5 2.0 GT TDI, and I have reported that I prefer the drive of the MK5 over my R32.

So in my opinion the MK5 GTI should be and absolutely terrific drive, and I just cant wait to get my hands on it [:D]

Even better than an R32... I would like to think so, but I will let you know :lol:

9. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Something for free??............... suppose there a first time for everything [:s]

10. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Rob - Depends how you define "better" but I'll leave it at that.
    If I prefer the GTI, I'll buy one, if not I'll keep the R32.
    I'm sure the R32 is safe though. ;)

11. Admin Guest

yeah heard it but seen it, must of missed it in the mag.