MK IV 1.8T mods

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by smokesho, Jan 13, 2004.

1. smokesho New Member

i have been trying to research the mods for my 1.8T GTI, and so far have come up with this.

chip=30 horses
    exhaust= 20 horses
    intake tubing& K&N= 10+ horses

that's what it looks like for what i can get in Canada, for a decent price, and still have excellent stability for the engine over the course of several years

anyone with info on this, or on aftermarket intercoolers, head work, and cams please let me know what u know.

I am considering building my car to around 280 horsepower over the next few years. also, any empirical information on performance gains at the track with any mods i can do to the car would be greatly appreciated.

so, let me know what u think, thanks.

2. prof Forum Addict

exhaust= 20 horses
    intake tubing& K&N= 10+ horses

i would say this is crap, have these results been proven properly? dyno plots etc?

3. AMY

Amy Forum Member

can i have one of those exhausts ?? ;)

4. smokesho New Member

well atleast im getting responses...... why such little faith though in those numbers though? any time u make an engine, or a turbo breath better u increase the power. it is not uncommon for engines made for performance to see 20-30 hp gains through an aftermarket exhaust, granted the volume of exhaust is relatively low in this application. as far as the intake tubing and K&N, why is 10 hp too much to expect? the K&N could feasably be worth a 5 hp gain over the stock filter, and i forget where, it may have been ABD who claims a dyno result of 7hp increase from a different intake tubing setup.

so, what sort of numbers do u think these mods will create?

5. AMY

Amy Forum Member

are you running K03 or K04?

Amy

6. smokesho New Member

K 03, Amy?

7. AMY

Amy Forum Member

dont think youll get to 280 with a K03, my k03 is almost at its limit at 220.

8. smokesho New Member

really? that doesn't sound right

here's my reasoning....
    chip brings me to 210
    do the exhaust, an intake setup including plenum, and intercooler, port and polish the heads, change the cams, get a better BOV and get the turbo to run around 20 or 21 lbs of boost

the intercooler is worth 13 or more hp alone (Forgemotorsports) that coupled with an exhaust, a very minimum of a ten HP increase, i really think more like 20 at this point. therefore, we're at a gain of aboput 30 hp over 210.... add another ten at this point for the intake work.... and we're up to a total of about 250... port and polish should give more, let's say 5 to be conservative..... and doing cams and if needed valves on a turbo application can add around 30%, which would be over 30 hp at this point.... but let's say it's only worth 30 hp...... that would give 285, while being slightly conservative, and running the K03 all the while
    Edited by: smokesho

9. Imran Forum Member

Y not jus slap a K04 Turbo, chip, induction kit WITH Heat shield and a exhaust! = 250bhp+

10. smokesho New Member

reasonable idea.....but to be honest, there are not too too many people in Ontario that i would want to put an aftermarket turbo setup on my brand new 30,000 dollar VW.... i know it may seem a bit impaired, but that kind of work is very expensive after taxes, transportation, and exchange rates here..... so, cost is a bit of an issue.... that, and i have heard that it's not really worth it to upgrade the turbo because it is effective and efficient enough for the engine, the mass of exhaust created by the engine is suitable for the K 03, at no cost since it is part of the car

11. smokesho New Member

ok, maybe a K03 can't reach 300 hp on the 1.8. so, does anyone have track resulsts for any mods or power gains ?

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

You cannot add up the increaes of mods like that!!!

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

Why do you think VW fitted an uprated KO3 to the 180bhp models, and went to a KO4 for the 210/225 models - becasue the KO3 isnt up to it.

14. smokesho New Member

well, maybe it's not.... but i guess one day we'll see... and u can add up some of those hp increases. as the system becomes more effective at producing power, if anything, some of the mods compliment and compound each other...... but what do i know, cars, yes, but maybe not the 1.8T engine as well as some of u do i will admit....... but, like i said' we'll see about some of this stuff soon enough.

i do find it hard to believe that when a chip alone gets me to 210, w/out anything else that i can barely get 25 or thirty horses more out of it. but maybe u people are right..... or maybe we just have some crazy mods over here in North America..... either way, results from a track with regards to cars with a chip, or exhaust, or intercooler, anything would be appreciated.

and, whether rhetoric or not, i appreciate the information, and opinions. one can always learn more.....

15. AMY

Amy Forum Member

have you done any mods yet? also would the exhaust include a custom downpipe?

16. smokesho New Member

nope none yet, i have only had the car since july, and have been deciding where and what to get done, and i am also waiting for the weather to clear up....... i don't think adding 30 hp or more is a good idea with snow on the ground, and more on the way. what exactly to do about exhaust, i haven't decided yet, basically i want to get the chip first, and install the K&N i have for the car. after that im not sure which way i will go, money is an issue, im just a student, but over time the car will get built up. for the downpipe, i think Neuspeed has an aftermarket one, but i might just go fully custom for the exhaust.

i am tempted to do the chip and K&N then hit the dyno, and track, that way ill have numbers and times to compare, then maybe towards the end of the summer, money permitting, do something else and dyno it too.

since the consensus seems to be an exhaust won't do that much, after the chip, what would anyone suggest keeping cost in mind ?

17. AMY

Amy Forum Member

mine has custom map and induction kit and on sunday ran 219bhp 225ft/lb, next plans are to get a bigger IC and a custom exhaust inc downpipe then i will get it on the rollers again.
    To gain any nore i would have to uprate the turbo/manifold, injectors etc and full remaps arent cheap [:^(]

18. smokesho New Member

custom map eh? 220 at the wheels, that's gotta be around 240-250 at the crank, and u have no time slips yet ? damn, that was one of the first things i did was go and beat the C&D drivers in the 1/4 mile. well, sounds like u have quite the car, maybe when i get some cash that doesn't have to go to school i can find out how far the K03 will go. what continent do u live on if i may ask, cause if it's decent where u are u should go get ur car's track performace measured. neways, like i said, sounds like a fast car. and here's a question for u, ur corrado is a 20 VT, so where did u get the engine from, or did they release them like that where u are?

19. AMY

Amy Forum Member

no its 220 at the fly engine is auq from 2001 seat leon gearbox is 02m from same.

20. smokesho New Member

oh its 220 at the flywheel, so it's really about what, 195 bhp. nice set-up u have though, must have cost some $$