Mk1 20vt 0-60 time

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Andy16v, May 8, 2009.

1. paul_c Forum Member

Yep, I'll back up vw_singh's claims, our cars are very evently matched on 1/4 mile times (14.15 vs 14.3x) and I've done timed 0-60 runs at Bruntingthorpe (admittedly the 1/4 mile time wasn't as good as Santa Pod, but its probably more realistic compared to a normal 'road'). Note my 1/4 mile time which is 0.2 secs away from my PB, and you can assume those 0.2 secs are lost at the start (once you're away and in 2nd gear with grip, its going to be consistent. So most of the losses/gains will be at the start).

[​IMG]

2. micky1 Forum Member

i remeber graham v's mk1 did a ripping 0-60. low torque, high power/revs and good traction

3. James_mk2 Forum Member

I wish my engine was in a mk1, it'd be quicker than it is now :lol: My PB is a 14.9 so far, hoping to squeeze a bit more out with some more practice and a little less weight, then its nitrous time (then engine rebuild time :lol: )

4. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Some bloody quick toys there :thumbup:

Are all those cars 16v, 20vT, or a mixture?

5. paul_c Forum Member

TBH I've no idea of the spec of the other cars, I was hoping the owners might come forward?

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

but a mk1 is harly a lardy arsed car tho is it

7. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Agree - so it's down to driver and car combo, like you and I originally said :thumbup:

8. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i did a 14.4 in my mk1 cabby ok its a 20vt but its all about take off and less about weight for me i done the stripped out look with slicks and the fully loaded look with road tyres and theres nothing in it lol

9. HidRo Forum Member

I've done 14.071 on my mk2 with the weather not helping last Sunday... Started to rain...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq103B6B3Dw&feature=channel_page

Track slicks and rain, not a great combo eheheh
    My car weights 1T witout me in it, and I estimate around 260hp (234@0.9bar and now I have a MBC@1.3bar)
    I launch like a granny on a traffic light eheh 2kRPM and let go easy :p

10. vwd40 Forum Member

My Mk2 with estimated 230bhp was tested for Performance Tuner magazine at 5.7secs. An Ibiza on the same day with similar power did 5.0secs with a Peloquin LSD. No Mk1's there though to compare.

11. HidRo Forum Member

I tested my car when with 234hp, and I can't get 1st on the ground, and 2nd, I have to be carefull, to do a good. 0-60. I don't even try it though, except on the track with slicks.

12. jc.. Forum Member

13. paul_c Forum Member

14. jc.. Forum Member

seems to work OK but here you go:

i'll cut to the point.......

I don't have the money that this bloke seems to have, so i'm Thinking of a quick shot of Nos to beat a dam Golf Gti MK1 which seems more like a Buggati Veyron, it leaves me for dust and is rather .......

Any pointers or advise would be much appreciated.

Yours VW'd

ps ony one else encountered this git? nr A23 SX

Nige_RS4
    Post subject: RE: "Bugatti veyron" golf gti = RS 6 suckered Posted: May 10, 2009 - 08:37 AM

Cruising

Are you standard or modified?

My B5 RS4 is sold http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNp ... highlight=

ABBEYHOUSE
    Post subject: RE: "Bugatti veyron" golf gti = RS 6 suckered Posted: May 10, 2009 - 08:49 AM

Neutral

Standard apart from the abt exhaust... however, soon to be dam faster than a mk1 golf!!

He must be online somewhere.... its brown and I think on a Y reg, i was to busy watching the petrol guage go down to jot his plate onto a peice of paper!!

Last edited by ABBEYHOUSE on May 10, 2009 - 08:55 AM; edited 1 time in total

A20LEE
    Post subject: RE: "Bugatti veyron" golf gti = RS 6 suckered Posted: May 10, 2009 - 08:54 AM

3rd Gear

if the GTi Mk1 is has had a 280bhp 1.8T transplant it could be close to 400bhp per ton! If an RS6 is 1800kg you'd need over 700bhp to hang on.

ABBEYHOUSE
    Post subject: RE: "Bugatti veyron" golf gti = RS 6 suckered Posted: May 10, 2009 - 08:57 AM

Neutral

hmmmm let the battle commence!

Nige_RS4
    Post subject: Re: RE: "Bugatti veyron" golf gti = RS 6 suckered Posted: May 10, 2009 - 09:06 AM

Cruising

A20LEE wrote:
    if the GTi Mk1 is has had a 280bhp 1.8T transplant it could be close to 400bhp per ton! If an RS6 is 1800kg you'd need over 700bhp to hang on.

You've also got 4WD drivetrain losses to consider, but he will have severe traction problems, even at higher speeds.

You sure your car is running OK and you don't need a pair of MAFs (very common on RS6's)

My B5 RS4 is sold http://www.rs246.com/index.php?name=PNp ... highlight=

ABBEYHOUSE
    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: "Bugatti veyron" golf gti = RS 6 sucke Posted: May 10, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Neutral

i'm no rs6 expet but to the best of my knowledge the car seems fine....

What is the best way to see if the mafs are working ???

grizz
    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: "Bugatti veyron" golf gti = RS 6 sucke Posted: May 10, 2009 - 09:23 AM

TradeRS

Get the car checked out. I had a standard in last week that made 380 bhp ... After a quick fettle it made 500 bhp... One happy customer.

ecain63
    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: "Bugatti veyron" golf gti = RS 6 sucke Posted: May 10, 2009 - 07:13 PM

2nd Gear

Good advice from the big man. Get is checked.
    Torque figures are where it makes the difference on the 0 - 70 drag. Me and one of the S4 guys had a race on the way back from Newbury last week. Mine is a 500bhp rs6, his is a 344 bhp S4. Torque wise mine is 535 lb/ft and his is 410 lb/ft. I was initially quite disturbed by the outcome, until i got home and checked the facts. Due to the wieght difference the torque figures were pretty even per tonne, although BHP/Tonne i had a good advantage. Result was that upto 70 we were fairly well matched. From there on it was down to who had the most horses per tonne and my six had some pretty fit legs. From 70 up you have to get past the resistance of wind / wieght etc and thats where the horses come in. Torque for sprints, BHP for the distance.

19" Option with drilled anchors